Truck from hell

Started by enjenjo, July 23, 2008, 09:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Spent the day yesterday removing all the scabbed on pieces that were welded to the frame and clip. I ordered a section of frame from the salvage yard, I'll have that Monday, so I can start putting it back together. I started doing some of the other repairs needed just for a change of pace, door hinges and linkages.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't know Frank...given all the time I need to fix my own "errors"...if I could stand being in the business of fixing other guys messes. Isn't it amazing the number of compound screw-ups that some can do?

It'll turn out better though.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"there was 14" between the old frame and the clip, all held together by channel iron, angle iron, and diamond plate.

Sounds as if someone who's favorite toy was an erector set got his hands on a welder!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

unklian

I like the vague approximation of "workmanship".   :roll:  :wink:  

:shock:  :x

Crosley.In.AZ

i look forward to the tech stuff on how enjenjo corrects various spots.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, the last couple days on it were spent cutting all the garbage off so I can put it together right. Even though it's reduced to a pile of parts, the owner is pleased with what is done so far.

rumrumm

You mean da say ar work ain't upta standards? Hell, my brother an' me've been buildin' cars fer years!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Danimal

Quote from: "rumrumm"You mean da say ar work ain't upta standards? Hell, my brother an' me've been buildin' cars fer years!

Ain't that my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl?

Dang, Frank. I'm glad Court's truck doesn't look like that.

47 ragtop

NO ! That is a picture of the Busch brothers of Nascar fame, before Kurt had his ears 'done'.  :lol:

enjenjo

Straighten up boys! :D

I actually started on putting it back together today. After 2 1/2 days of cutting, I has all the junk removed, and the burn throughs repaired on the frame. Since he cut the frame at the front body mount, and the clip at the rear of the lower control arm mount, the is about 14" between the two pieces. So the first order of business is to  set up the sub fame level side to side and front to rear.

enjenjo

Usually you can level the frame extensions to set up the subframe, but in this case he had cut them off, along with the frame horns. After looking at a complete subframe I have here, I found one spot that was intact, that I could use to level it front to rear.

enjenjo

After getting it leveled up, I measured a point that was parallel to the centerline of the spindles, level side to side, and a known distance from both the spindle and the reference mark on the frame. This has to be accurate since all measurements will be based on it.

enjenjo

I then welded a sleeve inside the subframe, so I had something to clamp to, and a place for plug welds. The sleeves were made from 1/8" plate, same thickness as the frame.

enjenjo

At this point, I went back to the truck frame. I measured the closest point he had cut to the body mounts, and found to square it up, it had to be cut 1/4" in front of the mount. That will be the next step.

enjenjo

The next step was to extend the subframe back to the original frame. The first plan was to use a chunk of frame to do it, but I decided to use some split rectangular tubing to do it. He does not want this truck super low, so the frame will go just about straight back. The chalk line to the right is where it will be cut for the right wheelbase.