Holley 500 CFM 2 bbl on a 460

Started by junkyardjeff, July 10, 2008, 11:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I just got a 77 F150 with a 460 from a friend thats is into Oldsmobiles and he adapted a quadrajet to the 460,it just does not run like it should and it does not have a choke so I need to do something.  Since my only good 4 bbl is on a friends car I have a good holley 500 2 bbl with a manual choke that I would like to use on the 460 if I can find a 2 bbl to 4 bbl intake adapter,I never seen 2 bbls on those motors and would it work.  Jeff

wayne petty

there no reason it should not work....  you are not drag racing it...

i take it that it has the spread bore manifold.. for the ford 4360 carb...

the later... like 78 up used holley carbs...  4160s...

the only draw back for mounting the 2 bbl on an adaptor is they usually center it up... so it will be in the wrong spot for the kickdown linkage rod...

i wish i had a vertical mill ... or even a drill press with a tilting base.... as i could drill and countersink the bolt holes to mount it to the manifold..  and threaded holes for studs to mount the carb directly over the primarys... blocking off the secondarys... maybe just scribing the bore locations after i drill and counter bore the mounting holes for allen cap screws.. and drill and tap the carb stud holes..  using the die grinder to make the passages line up...

i do have sitting here all cleaned... ready to swap parts around with the 4360 on my 76 E250/460 a spare 4360.. for a 460...  i want to use the best parts for one... i plan on drilling the accelerator pump lever bore to 11/32 and sliding in a short length of 5/16 thin wall valve guide.. to remove the slop... as on this used unit... the throttle can rotate almost 8 degrees before the plunger moves.. there is that much play...

i just have not gotten too it... ... and the wife would like her table back...

junkyardjeff

I wont have to worry about the kick down rod since its not there and since a adapter is used to mount the QJ I think ithe manifold is for a square bore carb.  Jeff

kb426

I made an adapter years ago for the same carb out of 1/4" steel plate. I put the carb over the front and threaded the 2 rear bolts.
TEAM SMART

Jbird

I ended up with a complete 93 injected 460, if I ever find a home for it (I'm lookin at a 60 F250) I'm switching to carburetion using the factory aluminum injection manifold. I'll fabricate a high rise adapter and bolt it to the six bolt throttle body flange Ford put in the manifold just for me. I'll have to plug the eight injector spigots, maybe some cute little NOS nozzles, nah, I've got got enough scrap metal laying around.   Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

chimp koose

If you are looking to make a carb adapter why not try using a teflon cutting board for material. It is easy to cut and it makes a great heat insulator too.

wayne petty

Quote from: "Jbird"I ended up with a complete 93 injected 460, if I ever find a home for it (I'm lookin at a 60 F250) I'm switching to carburetion using the factory aluminum injection manifold. I'll fabricate a high rise adapter and bolt it to the six bolt throttle body flange Ford put in the manifold just for me. I'll have to plug the eight injector spigots, maybe some cute little NOS nozzles, nah, I've got got enough scrap metal laying around.   Jbird 8)

i was wondering about the conventional manifolds as they only show apps to 88.. i think.. something different about the later heads...  but i have not been able to research it... i almost bought a set of F3 castings the core supplier for my 76 460..  i loved the exhaust ports...   no air injection lumps..

i did not get a chance to side by side compare them... somebody bought the set of f3s when i said i wanted D3's.....

and i for junk yard jeff.. i just took the new base plate gasket for the 4360 spread bore ford carb and layed the gasket on the bottom of the 650 2bbl holley i have sitting near by and it lines up really nice...  except the 650 - 2bbl has such big throttle blades it won't open without hitting the gasket.. the 500 cfm should be just about fine......

wayne....