Tail light question

Started by msuguydon, June 30, 2008, 10:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

My tail lights are not working.  Turn signals work, reverse lights work. blinkers work.. When the head lights are on the tail lights do not light up.  

Suggestions on what to do?

Fuse?

Connection?

Sell the tuna boat?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Carnut

Charlie Chops 1940

Might be the head light switch. If the tail light filament isn't burned out on either side and you don't have current on either side then that's my guess. Been working? Didn't change anything? Your upholstery guy didn't accidentally let the smoke out of the tail light wires, did he?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Have you checked the bulbs?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

i agree ...  check the bulbs first...

the headlight switch almost always gets power from 2 or 3 different ciruits..

the headlights usually have an internal circuit breaker in the switch..

the tail lights and forward running lights  get power from the tail light fuse..

the instrument lighting is powered from a third fuse...

on models with dome lights... the circuit is grounded through the rotating the knob all the way to the left... this causes a lever to close a switch... to ground the dome light circuit... same as the door jam switches...

edit...snip these are only for early gm cars... the later years are different
black wires are the tail lights...
pink the left turn and stop
purple the right turn and stop
light green is the back up light
brown is the gas gauge

this seems to be a wiring diagram link for 58 chevys....

http://www.58classicchevy.com/1958-chevrolet-wiring-diagrams.html

GPster

A quick thought is something under the dash. The rear turn signals and the stop light use the same filamint of the rear lights and they sort it out in the switch in the steering column The back up lights are all alone and the tail lights should come from the headlight switch.  Does the gas gauge work? Does your car have a trailer hitch and trailer light plug wired into it? Is the steering column stock? Is there a truck light and does it work? Do you know that I haven't finished my first cup of coffee? I'll keep this in mind and as soon as I compliment Charlie on his A/C lazy susan and make one more suggestion to him I'll get back on this. I thought enjenjo had a lap top. Later, GPster

msuguydon

I should have been a little more specific with my question.  The tail light issue is with my 58.  It was re-wired (not by me) and the person who did it did not always use the appropriate color of wires.

I suspect the upholstery guy may have inadvertently done something because I did have some sound deading and carpet put in the trunk.

Back-up lights work.
turn signals work
brake lights work.

head lights work.

Don

phat rat

After you check the bulbs work forward on the wire to see if it got damaged during the upholstery job. Of course I'm assuming they worked before.

GPster

The tail lights are a common wire that splits and works both sides and the license plate light. It wouldn't be the ground because it shares the ground at the bulb's socket with the brake/signal light filimint. If none of the tail lights work the problem is probably in the harnes where all the wires go foreward and it would be in just one wire. GPster

58 Yeoman

IIRC, the dash lights and taillights work together.  If your dash lights aren't on, then your taillights won't work either.  Have you checked your dash lights and fuse?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat rat

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"IIRC, the dash lights and taillights work together.  If your dash lights aren't on, then your taillights won't work either.  Have you checked your dash lights and fuse?

Dash lights also come on with the headlights and he says they are  working. He needs to check the bulbs, then because of the upholstery work check the wire which could be done with a 12v tester

msuguydon

Dash lights are working.

I have two sets of tail lights, white reverse and red.. stop, turn, and night tail lights...

reverse lights work
tail lights work as brake lights
Tail lights work as turn signals
tail lights work as brake lights

tail lights do not work as night rear lights.. but will do all of the above things with head lights on

ragdol

check bulbs, if they are good, check for power at the socket. If not work forward to find out where you are losing power. I suspect the upholstery guy either cut a wire, or unplugged the tail light wire. Larry

BFS57

Hello;
First, get off the computer and check the lamps in the tail lights! Next, if the lamps are good (you may need to test them with a meter) Then look at the wires leading to the specific socket that does not work. Now the work beguines! trace the wires. My guess is that the P.O. probly made some lousy connection that has either come un done or is grounding out.
Auto electric on these cars is not rocket science! you must use good common sense and make double sure that everything is really insulated and connected very well!!

Bruce

msuguydon

ok, ok.. got it... I will check the bulbs..  :lol:

It only takes me about 10 times to get the message...  :P

Thanks for the advice...