New Alternator CS 130 105A

Started by rick 36dodge, June 09, 2004, 03:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick 36dodge

I have finally fix an old problem that has bugged me for some time. After adding A/C, a new Radio with an small amp, MSD igntion and cruise. I was having low voltage at idle. I have an 63 amp 10 SI GM alternator with a small pulley. I replaced the alternator with a CS 130 from a 1988 Chevy Caprice part #P79223 from Advance Auto for $77.99. Now I have 14 volts at idle. I know a lot of you guys already know this, but for the ones that don't now you know.
It bolted right in the same bracket. I did have to put a heil coil for a 3/8"-18 bolt to holding the alt tight. No drilling the heil coli tap worked in the existing hole.
Thanks, Rick Harris.  :D

model a vette

Rick- Remember that these alts weren't too reliable in the original application. I hope the one you got has a lifetime warranty. I put two on each of my Celebritys. There are upgrade kits to allow better cooling thru the use of an improved housing. Maybe it won't be a problem in a rod where the cool air hits the alt from the front. In FWD cars the alt is kind of buried toward the back and doesn't get enough cooling.
Ed

Crosley.In.AZ

I believe these alts are the units with a plastic internal cooling fan that likes to explode?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "model a vette"Rick- Remember that these alts weren't too reliable in the original application. I hope the one you got has a lifetime warranty. I put two on each of my Celebritys. There are upgrade kits to allow better cooling thru the use of an improved housing. Maybe it won't be a problem in a rod where the cool air hits the alt from the front. In FWD cars the alt is kind of buried toward the back and doesn't get enough cooling.
I do have an lifetime warrenty, so if it does fail I can get a new one. Do you know how to tell if I have a upgraded housing ?  It does have two fans , a metal one behind the pulley and a plastic one inside.
Thanks for the info.
Rick Harris. :?:

model a vette

Rick- Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was out of town.
I doubt if a stock rebuild from an auto parts store would have the upgraded housing but I could be wrong. Check the JC Whitney catalog. They have the upgrade kits. I think it includes a better finned case with cooling fins and a better bearing that the original one.
Ed

rick 36dodge

Thanks for the info on upgrades at JC Whitney, I will look them up.
Thanks again, Rick Harris. :P

Phat

One of the biggest problem on the FWD cars was the belt tensioner and wrong belt size would knock the rear bearing out.  The advance rebuilt is upgraded ...I only pay 55 bucks for them here.  Did you buy it with no core?  If so just toss any old alt in the box they dont really care at advance.  Half the time you half to bring things back around here as somebody has spray painted and old part and returned it.  They are a sunday only parts store for me....but i have had good luck with cs 130 and we are a delco dealer :shock:
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

rick 36dodge

Thanks for the info. I looked at most of the alternators on advanced web site and I found several of the CS-130 alternators were less than I paid ($77.99 and the core was $35.00 , and I had an old alternator) but they were 85 amp and they did not have the RWD type mount. I am glad to know that this one is upgraded. My dad has a 90 Chevy caprice with over 100,000 miles and has the same Alternator. I don't own any FWD cars and don't plan on ever buying one. I do have a lifetime warrenty and so far it is working great.
Thanks again, Rick Harris.  :D