help with transmission

Started by punkabilly1306, June 24, 2008, 07:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkabilly1306

in my monterey i have a 302/c4 but i just pulled both to repaint and find out what the hell is wrong with the trans.  Last year when i put it in drive it would go forward but would kinda lung BUT it stilled moved. now when i went to get it out for spring and put it in gear to start repainting the outside it now does nothing...what should I look for while its out of the car that might be the problem??
        thanks
          bob

Crosley.In.AZ

was the trans full of fluid?

is the trans old?  years of sitting?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

punkabilly1306

well the dipstick isn't the right one for the trans but the torque converter was full and i put 4 or 5 quarts of fluid in it...the year im guessing from the yellow marking on the modulator and i have no clue as to how long it was sitting prior

wayne petty

when transmissions sit.    the converter tends to drain back into the transmission till it reaches half way...    since there is little room for the excess fluid.. it fills the tranny case and overflows it out the vent...

so when you start it... the fluid is pumpped back into the converter and the pan runs dry...

i believe the running fluid depth is just about the top of the pan rail...

so try to measure the distance from the bottom of the pan to the pan rail... usually 1-1/2 to 2 inches...    stick a piece of welding rod in the dip stick hole.. bottom it out on the pan bottom...   mark the top where is is level with the filler tube..     measure up the stick the same distance you measured the depth of the pan... then compare the dip stick full mark to the welding rod or  coathanger...   do not pay attention to any fluid marks on either... this is a length to fit.. not a fluid measuring tool till you have it marked..