A/C Systems -Recommendations or Cautions?

Started by houston54, June 20, 2008, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

The last item to add to the 54 project is an HVAC system.  I have researched the main three suppliers, Olde Air, Hot Rod Air and Vintage Air but cannot identify any one that has a better product for my application over the others.  

I am hoping some here can provide their recommendations for, and reasons why, for one over the other. Is there another supplier I should consider?  

Does any one unit have an advantage over the others?  

What have you installed?

348tripower

I have installed two Southern Air systems and one other that I couldn't identify. Helped install two Vintage Air systems. Most all these systems are made by the same manufacturer. Southern air uses a Chinese compressor. I beleive the rest use Sanden. I like Hot Rod Air for tech. Very helpfull.  Vintage Air asks you to leave a message and they will call back. Toss a coin for the correct answer.
Don
Don Colliau

phat rat

Vintage Air does call back though. A couple of years ago I had a problem which required their help. After calling the third time because I'd gone as far as their instructions had been the tech stayed on the line with me troubleshooting the control panel
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

BFS57

Hello;
May I suggest Classic Auto Air. They are in Tampa Fl. and have AC systems that look like stock systems.
Because of price, I am looking at Southern Air. I already have a compressor and condenser.

Bruce

Carnut

Put a Vintage Air Heat and Air system in my 40 Ford back in 90 and it's been working well ever since.

Lost the glove box, but otherwise it's a great setup.

The Air blows thru two outlets behind radio grille and two outlets that replaced the dash side cigarette trays.

On/Off switch and temp control mounted in place of original choke and heater switch.

Pic dosen't show much but it's there. Oh that's a thermometer stuck in the radio grille to tell me the temp of the air.

UGLY OLDS

Use the biggest condenser you can fit in front of the radiator..( It makes the heat go away..)

Use the largest Evaporator Assembly you can fit under the dash...You will be thankful later...

Try to put the dryer up front..Near the condenser ..( NOT in the engine compartment if possible..NEVER under the dash...It "sweats" ...)

The MOST important thing you can do: :arrow:
Insulate & SEAL the interior..Not doing so is like running the fridge with the door open  :?  REMEMBER  :!:  You are removing warm air from the interior..NOT delivering cold air... :?

Figure out how much radiator cooling fan you need ...Then INCREASE it by 50% ...Use a shroud if possible....( More fan=More air flow=Cooler engine & Better a/c performance=Happier driver...'Nuff said..)

Don't put anything ( Like a "pusher" fan ) in front of the condenser....( If you need a "pusher"...You're "Puller" is too small.. :shock: )

In Houston..Run something with a de-humidified defrost option..

Make SURE the evaporator case drains properly..( If it doesn't...In Houston, you'll wind up with a frozen evaporator ...Trust me...)

Charge R134 like the instructions say , (NOT until the sight glass is "clear" ..)

Turn the switch to "high" & be cool..... 8)  8)

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Use the biggest condenser you can fit in front of the radiator..( It makes the heat go away..)

Use the largest Evaporator Assembly you can fit under the dash...You will be thankful later...

Try to put the dryer up front..Near the condenser ..( NOT in the engine compartment if possible..NEVER under the dash...It "sweats" ...)

The MOST important thing you can do: :arrow:
Insulate & SEAL the interior..Not doing so is like running the fridge with the door open  :?  REMEMBER  :!:  You are removing warm air from the interior..NOT delivering cold air... :?

Figure out how much radiator cooling fan you need ...Then INCREASE it by 50% ...Use a shroud if possible....( More fan=More air flow=Cooler engine & Better a/c performance=Happier driver...'Nuff said..)

Don't put anything ( Like a "pusher" fan ) in front of the condenser....( If you need a "pusher"...You're "Puller" is too small.. :shock: )

In Houston..Run something with a de-humidified defrost option..

Make SURE the evaporator case drains properly..( If it doesn't...In Houston, you'll wind up with a frozen evaporator ...Trust me...)

Charge R134 like the instructions say , (NOT until the sight glass is "clear" ..)

Turn the switch to "high" & be cool..... 8)  8)

Bob..... :wink:

what he said....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

tomslik

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
May I suggest Classic Auto Air. They are in Tampa Fl. and have AC systems that look like stock systems.
Because of price, I am looking at Southern Air. I already have a compressor and condenser.

Bruce

southern air!?!?!

run away!

NEVER AGAIN!!!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

t-vicky

I put a Hot Rod Air in my 40 Chevy & it works real good. I was able to keep the  lever for the cowl vent & still had room for a small glove box.  Have installed them in 2 outher cars for friends & they are as happy as a pig at a slop trough.

Okiedokie

I am in agreement with UGLYOLDS and tomslick. I have a Souther Air in my 46 coupe, a waste of money in my opinion. I have a Vintage Air in my 53 F100 and love it. My experience tells me to seal the passenger compartment as well as possible, insulate as well as your budget allows [if it doesn't allow excellent insulation, then hold off on Air Conditioning until you can.] and put as big of a Gen.II Vintage Air unit as you can. I would also advise installing a manual heater shutoff valve even though as far as I can tell the VA electric one works fine.

Dusty

I have Southern Air in my '38 Chevy Coupe...No complaints...It has been in there for almost 4 years...You have to seal and insulate with any unit...I have a '54 3 window P/U just like yours, except chopped, and when it comes time for air I will put in another Southern Air...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

enjenjo

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;

Bruce

southern air!?!?!

run away!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

If they were the only one making AC, I would sweat it out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I did similar research about a year ago. I ended up buying Vintage air. If you do alot of research, you will find out why I made that choice. My decision was based on "I only want to buy it once". Good luck with your decision.
TEAM SMART

reborn55

vintage air in my ragtop--does well even with all the air leaks.  Easy to install  even for a novice.

Learpilot

I have Southern Air and it has worked great for 4 years, but next time I will not get a vacuum unit again. It is almost impossible to go from A/C to defrost back to A/C. The heater will not cut off. I have a ball valve to cut the hot water off from my heater in the summer then it works fine.
Southern Air web site is www.southernrods.com/
Rick