double pass radiators

Started by 348tripower, June 14, 2008, 07:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTRODSRJ

Quote from: "phat rat"I understand about the high flow pumps. But I like to keep my car as much "off the shelf" as I can. Always easier to get a replacement in BFIowa

I don't understand other than BF IOWA? :roll:  :roll:   All the new fangled high flow/volume pumps have the same footprint as the old ones making literally "off-the-shelf".... and for the most part water pumps do NOT have replaceable parts anywho! What are you going to replace? You can swap the high flows for a regular or visa versa without changing anything for the most part. Stewart actually makes a stock looking (iron) high performance pump that is literally hard to tell from the original!

But, the real quizical issue is that the newer high flow pumps such as TuffStuff, Edelbrock, Moroso and other quality replacements have much better support front bearing technology and have failure rates and product lifes that are expotentially better than the stock pumps.... and don't get me started on rebuilt ones!  They have huge failure rates and are *-poor at moving water!  I know.. I have tested just about everyone that is on the market!

Also, I would easily argue that the newer technology is not only better as far as performance is concerned (typical stock pumps deliver only 30 gpm at highway cruising speeds/rpms (ie,2500) to a Stewart Stage I that delivers about 55gpm in comparison and idle conditions are really bad for stock pumps in comparison), but I also would tell you that your old pump is robbing you of horsepower at cruise (could be up to 6hp compared to just 1.7 for a typical highflow model) causing more heat to be generated and of course eating more of that precious gasoline.  At full throttle some stock water pumps are so inefficent that they take up to 10 hp at 5000 rpms whereas the Stewart Stage I will only take slightly over 2 hp!

So, I am not saying that you have to run these things... but we all spend all kinds of $$$ on other upgrade goodies to improve our rides, I just can't understand why folks wouldn't want to do this easy upgrade for better cooling performance, much higher reliability, and lastly but not least gas savings as well.  There are NO downsides to this ... and no I don't work for a waterpump manufacturer! :lol:  :lol:

I like to post this stuff not to pick on anyone .. .. or second quess what they want in their own ride.. but to bust the many myths of the cooling equation for these applications .. that's all. :wink:  :wink:
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK