hand held gps?

Started by tomslik, June 11, 2008, 05:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

anybody have one?
looking for something that'll tell road speed but not a permanent install....
maybe throw it on the bike IF i care if i get lost :lol:

what do ya like or not like about yours?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dave

Quote from: "tomslik"anybody have one?
looking for something that'll tell road speed but not a permanent install....
maybe throw it on the bike IF i care if i get lost :lol:

what do ya like or not like about yours?

Garmin hs a few and a couple of em can be bought for less than 200 bucks.. Im looking too but i just havent bought one yet... Im looking at the low end stuff cause i dont need much. the nuvi200 can be bought for like 156 on walmarts web site and the 250 ive seen for about 190... search em out and read the reviews.. My other option was the unit that works with my laptop and then id need a power inverter and id be all set i think they were closing the laptop units out for 70 bucks..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

kb426

Garmin foretrex 101 will do what you're asking but doesn't have any mapping. I have a Garmin Quest. I use it on the bike but is still small enough to put in a pocket. Visit Garmin.com
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

one thing... if you plan on using it to display road speed... make sure it does display it large enough to see...  not all do...

i have thought about them since i had one on the boat..   that one saved us..   no compass, radar, barely a radio..  100 foot visibility fog and 30 knots winds.. i knew were we were.. and which way to steer...   especially when the container ship called out his location and heading in the fog...  he was coming right for us..

i posted several years ago.. my thoughts on using them to tell real speed and record it when running at el mirage and out on the salt...    they are so cheep...

i even thought up the idea... since there was comet tracker from nextel/sprint    of using that system for mountain climbers... and hikers..
since it relays location data back to a laptop... so family and friends could see exactally how high and where on the mountain the climbers are...

just though of it... that might also work at el mirage.. with cars...  

i don't know if there is cell coverage out on the salt...  hopefully..

i even tryed to get to the sprint people that their comet tracker would be great for search and rescue...   every searcher has an enabled cell phone...   somebody at the base station  has a lap top... the trace lines on the display continue to show... if an area is missed.. it is shown.. and people can be directed to cover it.. until every square yard is searched it has not been searched...     think of the girl lost in D.C...   her remains got   found a year later... a few yards off the trail... after hundreds of people searched... this coverage would have found her......

but there is a NIH mentaliy... NOT INVENTED HERE  

the new GPS air location system... ADS=b????  lear pilot will know...  it a great thing...  but a simular system should be used at airports on ground traffic... with the system intergrating the air craft also..  this way the pilots know where everybody is... and which way they are going... except for the guys with the luggage tractors... who go in circles..  they get one also...  may it would be too much data... but if the system is smart enough... it would know which way you are going ... and what might be in your way....

hopefully... this post. and idea... wont run into...  nih.. here on the rrt...

wayne        forward thinker.......

when forward thinking saves lives....

model a vette

My wife got me a Tom-Tom as a present. I've seen them as low as $149 at Pep Boys.
It has the MPH readout. I've used it to check my speedometer.
As far as using it on the salt: You wouldn't need cell coverage. They work off the GPS satellites. Coverage on the salt might be better than in a town with high buildings or in mountain valleys.
Ed

alchevy

I have the TomTom 3rd edition. Paid too much for it because the prices went down right after I bought mine. The best thing about a GPS is not only it showing your speed, but also if you get lost, you can turn it on and let it find where you are at, then put in a destination you want to go to and it will tell you how to get there.

Right after I bought mine, I went to Jasper, TX to a rod run and only used the GPS to get there. Since I was alone, it was great not to have to pull over and look at a map to find where I was at.

If it takes a while to find where you are at just after turning the GPS on, then pull over on the side of the road for a second or two and it will find your location. I have done this a few times when I was around many trees.

It keeps track of your time and tells you what time you will make it to your destination, correcting the time as it gets closer.

Another good feature is knowing which lane you are supposed to be in before you get there. For example when trying to get onto an interstate and you are going under or over a bridge. Sometimes you will have to cross the oncoming traffic on your left. Other times you will take a right onto a cloverleaf ramp. If you are not familiar with the area, the GPS will make sure you are in the correct lane. This one I have will give you the name of the road, street, or highway you are on plus the next one. It also shows an arrow that tells you which way you will be turning.

Hope this helps,
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

MrMopar64

www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

river1

Quote from: "MrMopar64"Heres one.... http://www.woot.com/

so you're a WOOTer too!!

WOOT is where i bought the helmet cam that are used on Hooley's salt stude. i've bought 15-20 items from them and will buy in the future. that item is only for 24 hours then they change the item to something else.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

MrMopar64

Yeah.... I bought my GPS from them not this model though.
And several other things...

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Learpilot

I just got a TOMTOM for Father's day and it works great , and is easy to use.
Just plug in a go. Then after you read the little book you can program it.
It got me to and back from the Goodguys show at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. It knows the Speedway as a POI.
Rick

Crosley.In.AZ

tomslik was looking for a portable hand held unit that would display the road speed.

battery operated units?   some have built in battery , others use the AA type battery.

I may need to look into a portable battery powered unit too
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

model a vette

My TomTom has a battery that is  advertised as lasting 2 hours without a charge. In my own use it lasts closer to 3.
I hope you could measure your speed within 2 hours.  :D
Ed