Don't know how this happened

Started by BFS57, June 04, 2008, 08:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Dusted off the cobwebs on the Vicky and started it up, seemed to be just fine except:
When I first started it, the gas gage was about right at half a tank which I put gas in it about two weeks ago. When I was checking everything, I noticed that the gas gage was peged at Full? The gage has always worked just fine but now, I can't figure this one out.
Checked from behind the gage, seems all wiring is connected. Went to the rear of the car looked at where the wire connects to the sender, looks fine, but I did notice the ground wire looked a little frayed but it was connected. I ran out of time and didn't address that issue. Now when I turn the key to on (Before Start) The gas gage pegs to full.
What do any of you guys think? Bad Ground? The wiring on this car is funky, I have always told myself I should do a re wire to this car.

Bruce

enjenjo

I would check the ground first, not much effort in that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I want a car like that....park it and it fills itself up. :wink:
George

UGLY OLDS

Perhaps one too many "gas saving devices"  :idea:  :?:  :?   My vote goes with Frank......Bad ground.....

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

BFS57

Hello;
Just to bring you all up to date.
After much testing and testing, as well as some helpful hints from VDO Engineering, It has pointed to the fuel sending device (VDO). So...
I cut out the floor over the tank area where this beauty lives ('32 Ford Tank) and removed it from the tank.
Sure as heck, that is it. I took part of it apart to find a broken wire where the float contact goes across.
Am now letting VDO know what my problem is and see what they do.

Bruce