If It Weren't For Bad Luck.......

Started by 40, June 02, 2008, 11:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well....You know the rest! It took 14 hours and $2,000 in crane fees to set the rafters on our new house last Friday.A freak storm with 80mph winds popped up out of nowhere and took approximately 14 seconds to take down what it took us 14 hours to build.I and 2 of my guys were up in the roof when it hit....luckily we were able to get down and nobody was hurt.The crane operator also bailed as the crane was swaying wildly....fortunately,it just rocked and rolled but stayed upright.I spent all weekend cleaning up the debris.I have to be out of our current home by July 15 ......As you might have already guessed.....Doesn't appear I'll have the new house finished :evil: How is this car related you might ask....Well,because of the horsecrap weather this Spring,I probably will be a no-show at most of my usual stops this Summer and I'm WAAAAYYY behind on my 37 Flatback project!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

That'll buff out :roll:

Sorry to hear that Darrel. Hope it starts going better for you.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

TJ's Dad

That is bad luck , mate ..... however it appears from your post you're lucky to have gotten away unhurt.
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

EMSjunkie

Dang Daryl, that musta been scary as all get out :shock:

glad no body got hurt.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

wayne petty

ok.... how many of those are actually broken beyond repair....??????

is the manufacturer local?????

can you get them down with a multi harness grab....  lay them flat and repair them?????    

when i was young...we lived up in lockwood valley...  they have 4,000 foot tall dust devils that will tear you roof off...  flip your motorhome...  and in the winter you can get 3 feet of snow in a single storm...  

mom...  yes my mom... did not like the rafters that were in our cabin... it was built in 1873...   so she climbed up and reinforced them....  bracing back and forth ...  then screwed the planks that were the roof to the framing..

decades later... after we had moved out the national forrest people made us tear it down ... too much of a chance of fire with an empty cabin..  ever hear about the day fire... it stopped a mile from our place...   but we hired a pair of tractors and they both had to push the cabin into the hole they dug...    then they tryed to compact the roof...  the tractor went up and over the peak... without the roof caving in...  it was a D6...  he had to smash it with his blade... to cave it in....

those pieces that you have are fixable... dont cut them up....

do contact the rep for the manufacturer....

best of luck....

Quote from: wayne pettyok.... how many of those are actually broken beyond repair....??????

is the manufacturer local?????

can you get them down with a multi harness grab....  lay them flat and repair them?????

Well,none of the trusses were broken beyond repair,they are all down and stacked,the manufacturer is about 50 miles away.The problem is that for me to re-use these and meet the building code,an engineer must make a drawing of each truss that was damaged,prepare a report outlining the procedure and material specifications required,and then inspect them to insure they were mended properly.The cost to do this is $100 per truss so by the time I pay them,buy the materials and do the repair....it's cheaper to replace them.The house is 108' long....I was able to save and reset a little over half of the roof so I'll have to wait for the truss company to build the replacements.The insurance adjuster seems like a very fair and honest fellow so I think I should recover all of my expenses less my deductible.I often hand cut the rafters for my own personal homes but this one being 56' wide,I decided to truss it to allow me some more open areas on the interior......at this point,I sure wish I was hand building this roof!!The truss plant is running 5/6 weeks out so it's my hope that they will make an exception and move my order to the front......We'll see later in the week.In the meantime,I'm going to set the roof on the new shop tomorrow and see what kind of wierd weather I can conjure up this time  :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"