My old frame 38 ford

Started by 38FordPU, May 30, 2008, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

38FordPU

I bought this beat up 40 Ford Pickup out of a farmers woods about ten years ago because it had a tailgate that I need for my truck. Now I am wondering if the frame would be salvageble. I know my father said he thought the cross member was bad. How "bad" does one of these frame have to be before you consider it no longer salvageble? I know you can get the new suspention. I know you cant tell how bad a frame is from a forum and I am unfortuatly stuck in Afghanistan for another seven months. I would call my father to check it out but getting him to help is like pulling teeth out of loins mouth. I appreciate all of your help. I may just search for a nice rolling chassie if I can find one.

paul2748

All car and pick up truck frames from about 36 to 40 (41 on pick ups) are almost identical and can be used for any of the years with the correct brackets.  Parts (used) should be available so maybe your frame is salvageable.  If only the cross member is shot, i wouldn't toss it.

Good luck to you

38FordPU

[Thanks  I will have to take a liik to see how it would cost salvage the frame. I had kind of forgotten about it until I started talking ot you guys.

GPster

A bad frame can be useful for making a jig to locate various body mounting holes. It might be especially helpfull to locate radiator mounting in the front so that all of the sheetmetal hangs square and straight. Around here vehicles are being pulled out of the woods because scrap is going for $250.00 a ton. If the '40 truck still exists. As far as bad crossmembers, any number of upgrades render certain crossmembers removeable anyway. Mustang II suspension, automatic transmission mounts and rear leaf spring kits can save a rusted frame. GPster