frame tilt?? HELP trying to fix today

Started by Daveyboy, May 25, 2008, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Ok i have a 1/2" tilt on the driver side of my coupe.
I have hair pins. When i measure from the mono spring to the frame, the driver side has 1 3/4 inch and the passenger side has 1 1/4 inch.
Queston is can the hair pins adj make this happen?
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok i have a 1/2" tilt on the driver side of my coupe.
I have hair pins. When i measure from the mono spring to the frame, the driver side has 1 3/4 inch and the passenger side has 1 1/4 inch.
Queston is can the hair pins adj make this happen?
Dave

I have a similar situation on my 4 bar front on the roadster with a multi leaf spring.. Im pretty sure its the spring.. Id asy drive it a while and see if it may settle on the high side..
Dave

phat46

Same on my '40 truck but also with a fourbar setup, Im gonna drive it a while and see if it evens out.

enjenjo

Disconnect one of the hairpins from the frame, and see if it's still off. If it is still off, it's not the hairpins. see if the frame is off in the rear too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"Disconnect one of the hairpins from the frame, and see if it's still off. If it is still off, it's not the hairpins. see if the frame is off in the rear too.

The hairpins aint gonna make it sit crooked Frank .. No way .. Mine is dead level in the rear but the front is also off about 1/2 an inch.. My coupe didnt do that nor did my t or my 29 or my 30 and they were all built differently.. Its the spring id bet all your money on it...
Dave :wink:

enjenjo

I agree Dave, but he asked how to check if it's the hairpins, and by disconnecting one, you take them out of the picture.

Dave

Davey look at your shackles too.. On my car the left shackle is a different angle than the right side.. After looking and measuring a while i determined thats a perfect indication  that the spring isnt right. One side is different than the other   :?: and its most likely the spring is weaker on one side..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Daveyboy

I will check the shackles.
But the car sits low front and back if that help anyone

Daveyboy

well i changed the mono spring from left to right and it still leans?
What the heck??!!!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Daveyboy"well i changed the mono spring from left to right and it still leans?
What the heck??!!!

Then the frame has a twist built into it.

Daveyboy

it was built by Squeak Bell so i dont think that is it?

river1

Quote from: "Daveyboy"it was built by Squeak Bell so i dont think that is it?

even the pros can warp when welding

did you weld anything, like motor or tranny mounts, on it?

not that i'm dissing anyones skills but you never know.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carnut

Humm, lessee, high on the drivers side?

Eat more burgers or drink more beer, it'll fix itself.

Daveyboy

no all welding was done by the time i got it as a roller
and yes lower on driver side

C9

Did you install the panhard bar with all the weight on the car that's gonna be on it?

If not, you'll pull the axle sideways on the shackles, each shackle will have a different angle and the chassis will be loaded unevenly.

Check the panhard for a no load install and if it does slip onto the mounts without a problem - no prybars etc. - I wouldn't worry about it since the drivers side has the most clearance.
Just drive it and the added weight of the driver will bring it down on that side a bit over time, not a big deal.

If you have a battery in the right rear of the trunk be aware that you are jacking weight across a diagonal and that will bring the left front up.

Uneven weight and adjustment of the rear suspension affects the front of the car as well as the rear.

Check your tire pressures as well, especially in the back.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.