pics of a 59 berkley with a 1200cc vw motor installed..

Started by wayne petty, May 22, 2008, 01:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

these are pics i just found of my just departed friends 59 berkley..

he had rebuilt the transmission with parts from england...  and had loaned out one of the carbs to another berkley owner... and that guy returned the wrong size carb...   so out came the motor and in went a vw 1200.... with the transaxle also... he modded the swing axles to drive the front wheels... i never knew how...  he never finished the car...  he could not get the right front wheel to steer...  he had several straps he welded together... but it was a rear steer ... under power it was fine... under breaking... the right wheel went its own way...

the shifter end of the tranny stuck through the firewall and he had a shifter on it .....  he did flip the diff so the car went forward also... ( that was really forward thinking of vw to design it that way... ) he had a fan set up running cool air to the motor... but it's shaft was off angle and would throw the belt...

it ended up at his trailer up in phelen... where the county of sb towed it away...  old car clean up squad...  

jon went to high school with tommy ivo... and spent his last 5 months with me and my wife...

i just thought i would post these before they get sent to family members...