suspension ?

Started by reborn55, May 19, 2008, 08:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Need the proverbial quick fix  :lol:   I need to soften the ride on the rear of my ragtop.  Got the front end all set up and doing great--finishing with new shocks tomorrow.  Rear suspension is still too stiff.  going to Indy Good Guys in 3 weeks and really don't have the time to correct it the right way(family things)--CE suspension.  Just need some way to make it a little more enjoyable to drive.  Adding the weight of suitcases and coolers helps a little--doesn't bounce as much.  After that will figure out the right way. thanks

Welder Series

what's the rear suspension now?

reborn55

Nova rear, original springs--dearched I think to lower car, spring mounts reversed side to side to fit spring perches on the rear, Camaro shock plates, new Gabriel shocks.  Modified shock bar welded to frame.

UGLY OLDS

This sounds crazy  BUT....Try to get some lube -( grease) between the leaves...Pry them apart with a big screwdriver - :oops:  I mean a  small pry bar & use a putty knife or scraper to get some wheel bearing grease in there...Make 'em slide at the tips  :idea: ....Rides sooooooo  nice .. :shock:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

reborn55

Will do Bob--Are you going to Indy this year?

Mikej

Take a couple psi out of the rear tires if you haven't already.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "reborn55"Will do Bob--Are you going to Indy this year?

Nope ...Not this year...Ain't walking too good... :(  And with Mama getting "Outsourced" awile back we had to cut back on some of the longer trips...Goin to Des Moines though..But gotta leave EARLY Sunday AM....

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

In case you put gas filled shocks on, I've had some unusual exp. with them.
TEAM SMART

reborn55

will try the air reduction,, greasing the springs and have had both cheap and good shocks--not much difference.  Talked to my friend today and after Good Guys we are going to change the suspension to Chassis Engineering and enjoy it.  Thanks
Good luck Bob,  need to have a Midwest gathering sometime

wayne petty

thinking of grease for springs...   i ran across tubes of trailer hitch ball grease from Reese hitch co... it is white teflon grease....

i have been using it for various projects around here... and just thought i would mention it...

jaybee

Since you've tried greasing the spring leaves, lowering air pressure, and changing shocks with no possitive effect I'd suggest that your spring rate is too high.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

reborn55

I guess my last post wasn't real clear :lol: .  I am going to try greasing the springs and lowering the tire pressure before trip to Indy.  I have already tried different shocks.  If this fails I guess it is time for CE suspension.  Thanks

wayne petty

i just wonder if the springs rate is high and preventing the rear end from traveling up and down over bumps...

cads use air shocks and only 80 percent of the spring rate or so so the rear ride is soft...    

i am not saying to change the springs...

i take it that it has multileaf springs...  maybe they are like old superstock springs and have stiffer spring rates...    

again .    just a thought....

wayne

reborn55

Well, if you want any idea as to how it rides--if youhave ever seen American Garfitti--the scene where the 57 Chevy is bouncing along and the guy is talking to Ron Howard is something like my ragtop bounces at times.  With a full tank of gas and some luggage and cooler it is just real stiff.  Keeps you awake on the road.

wayne petty

try driving it out here in california...

they have been milling the concrete freeway surfaces...

they have removed the ruts.. and leveled the ups and downs...

i have wondered if the evenly spaced slabs could have set up a harmonic in the overloaded tires in those brand F tires on mid size suvs a few years back...causing them to delamanate..

your springs sound like a problem....       can you measure the thickness of the leaves...  and how much each end of the car weights... and how much it settles when the car is lowered  onto the rears...      and how much arc there is when the springs are at ride height... and how much when hanging without  shocks...   and call eaton spring and see if they can fab you up a set that will give you good ride...  that would be so much cheeper than changing out the entire rear end....  

the idea of the measurements is to help the spring calculatons so you dont end up with the same off the shelf spring pack....  which happens a lot....

there was an old shop just a block or so from my place in hollywood that actucally had  a spring forge... he had bar stock and rolling tooling...

there are other spring places around...  but i think a call with spects to eaton will probably get you a soft ride....

what about the posibility of removing the additional (some or all) leaves and installing air suspention.. to make up the differnce...  like a cad....

the main leaf to maintain the location of the rear end...