changed the front axle to a straight tube in the willys

Started by dragrcr50, April 20, 2008, 10:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragrcr50

well i couldnt get it to go straight with so little caster in it so i pu a straight tube in it and now it looks like a gasser, Hooley , watch out...........see ya on the 3d
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Dave

Let us know how it works.. Sure looks good.. How come you couldnt get enuff caster with the other axle .??
Dave

purplepickup

Man Sam, When you set your mind to something it sure doesn't take long to do it. :shock:   You were just talking about changing the axle a few days ago.  

If it works better that's most important but it really looks great too.
George

dragrcr50

Quote from: "jusjunk"Let us know how it works.. Sure looks good.. How come you couldnt get enuff caster with the other axle .??
Dave

well with an original chevy picup set up it has about 2 and 1/2 degrees in it at ride height.  and to go fast you need about 10 degrees, i put 10.8 in this one, it will always go to center that way and won't oversteer , period... you can feel the steering that way otherwise it is like 0 effort and scary as hell,  should have used this axle all along but i thought it would look good, well it looked good and that was it... Ill never learn ....
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

enjenjo

Couldn't you have put some caster wedges in it? How does it run now?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

dragrcr50

Quote from: "enjenjo"Couldn't you have put some caster wedges in it? How does it run now?
I suspect you can but to get an additonal 7 degrees would have been impossible 4 degree shims is all i could find and they are so thick it gets to where you cant really keep them in properly on the front axles.  also a tube doesnt twist and just works best.

GPster

Quote from: "dragrcr50"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Couldn't you have put some caster wedges in it? How does it run now?
I suspect you can but to get an additonal 7 degrees would have been impossible 4 degree shims is all i could find and they are so thick it gets to where you cant really keep them in properly on the front axles.  also a tube doesnt twist and just works best.
Plus additional caster on a dropped axel might cause the wheel to move rearward and look odd in the front wheel well. GPster