Kreepster Creeper or Kreepstool rolling seat

Started by UGLY OLDS, April 09, 2008, 08:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Does anybody have one of these high-line creepers or seats :?:   Any problem with the wheels & "adapters" where the wheels attach to the frame  :?: ( NO I have NOT exceeded the maximum weight capacity of 450#  :shock:   :!: )  Does anyone have problems with the wheels "squeaking" excessively  :?:  ( They are polyurethane & not supposed to be lubricated???)    Idea's anybody  :?:

Thanx....Bob
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

all  caster wheels need lube or they will squeek...

if the bolt is removable and you worry about dripping on the floor... try some Reese teflon trailer hitch ball grease...

i saw one of these at hf...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94435   and since it is all steel i figured the thing would hold me..(except for the cheepst plastic wheels i have ever seen).  i popped one of the wheels in the first 20 minutes... i have found a set to install ... but i have to modify them... 7/16 thread ... needs to be 10mm stub...

and i do outweigh the posted limits on most things...

i do have one thing to say for the wheels... they are riveted together... and even though i shattered the thing it stayed attached where it was riveted...

purplepickup

Bob, as far as squeaking goes, I'd just lube them.  They're urethane so solvent based lubes shouldn't hurt them....or you could use anti-seize or silicone (I don't allow that stuff in my shop because I paint in there).  For the money that Kreepster gets for their stuff they ought to have ball bearing casters. :?:    

What's happening to where the wheels mount on yours?

A semi tractor ran over my Snap-On creeper and I only had to replace one of the 6 casters with hardly any damage to the frame.  I was impressed. :shock:
George

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"Bob, as far as squeaking goes, I'd just lube them.  They're urethane so solvent based lubes shouldn't hurt them....or you could use anti-seize or silicone (I don't allow that stuff in my shop because I paint in there).  For the money that Kreepster gets for their stuff they ought to have ball bearing casters. :?:    

What's happening to where the wheels mount on yours?

A semi tractor ran over my Snap-On creeper and I only had to replace one of the 6 casters with hardly any damage to the frame.  I was impressed. :shock:

For all the years ive painted ive never been afraid of silicone.. Sealers or spray. You sure dont want to use them the night before you spray but they can be used. Ive never had a problem........
Dave

purplepickup

Quote from: "jusjunk"For all the years ive painted ive never been afraid of silicone.. Sealers or spray. You sure dont want to use them the night before you spray but they can be used. Ive never had a problem........
Dave
I've had fisheye problems with a couple of cars using single stage and can't say for sure that it was silicone but since I don't keep any in the shop anymore I haven't had any problems.  I might be too paranoid but it works for me.
George

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "jusjunk"For all the years ive painted ive never been afraid of silicone.. Sealers or spray. You sure dont want to use them the night before you spray but they can be used. Ive never had a problem........
Dave
I've had fisheye problems with a couple of cars using single stage and can't say for sure that it was silicone but since I don't keep any in the shop anymore I haven't had any problems.  I might be too paranoid but it works for me.

ya know i never owned a harley or even really crashed a bike then I met you :?:  :?:  :?:
Good thing im not paranoid  :lol:  :lol:
Dave :wink:

UGLY OLDS

QuoteWhat's happening to where the wheels mount on yours?

The caster assmb mounts into a threaded tube along the bottom of the frame ..The threaded "nut" ( for lack of a better term) , is plastic..Approx 7/8" in dia.   The caster has a 1/4" rod that goes through the plastic "nut" with a spring & "E" clip at the top to hold it together . The spring & clip actually allow the caster frame to ride "up & down" in the plastic nut...This allows the wheels to actually ride "over" things like cords -etc...Actually kind of a neat set-up....Very comfortable & smooth rolling...( You actually have to lock the brakes on the center casters to avoid unwanted rolling! )..
 My problem is that the plastic "nuts" keep breaking off leaving approx 1/2" of threaded plastic in the mounting tube ,the caster falling off & the spring & e-clip disappearing at the speed of sound. I will give the folks at "Kreepster" a few more tries for "Heavy-Duty" parts ...They seemed like good folks in the past & it is actually a very comfortable "rolling Chair" to work with ...Makes the ol' back forget about its problems for a while anyway .... :D  ....
See photo below ....The white part at the top is the threaded "nut" i  am referring to.....
Thanks ..Bob

wayne petty

if the pivot bushing is breaking ...  i wonder if they have some in aluminum...

of measure it out and somebody will probably whip some out...

just a thought.....

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: wayne pettyif the pivot bushing is breaking ...  i wonder if they have some in aluminum...

of measure it out and somebody will probably whip some out...

That was my thinking too Wayne ...I gotta couple of e-mails out to them now ...Hope I hear from them soon...

Thanks ...Bob ...

UGLY OLDS

Hey Kid's ....Got an update...I talked with a nice lady at the manufacture...I explained my problem & advised that I would like to buy some repair parts ...She asked how old my seat was to assure sending the correct parts ..( approx 2 years) ..  She took all the info needed to send out the parts & advised me to watch the mail as that is how they will be shipping...When I offered my credit card info to process the order ,she said " Oh, that's not neccessary, this is a warranty issue & we're sorry you had a problem" .... :shock:    WOW    :shock:   8) ...People that stand behind what they make  :!:  :!:  :shock:  :D  :D

Bob...

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Hey Kid's ....Got an update...I talked with a nice lady at the manufacture...I explained my problem & advised that I would like to buy some repair parts ...She asked how old my seat was to assure sending the correct parts ..( approx 2 years) ..  She took all the info needed to send out the parts & advised me to watch the mail as that is how they will be shipping...When I offered my credit card info to process the order ,she said " Oh, that's not neccessary, this is a warranty issue & we're sorry you had a problem" .... :shock:    WOW    :shock:   8) ...People that stand behind what they make  :!:  :!:  :shock:  :D  :D

Bob...

So... Now if you go on that diet the doctor told you to go on like 4 :?: years ago you wont have to call them again for warranty work  :lol:  :wink:
Dave :arrow: