Elect. vs. Mech.....

Started by 1FATGMC, April 09, 2008, 01:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I started to post this in KB's fan question, but didn't' want to muddy that up so I'll start a new thread:

You read places now where the elect. fans can be superior to a mechanical one and certainly car manufactures use them.  I still feel safer reliability wise with a mechanical one on a high mileage car.

The last few days I've been converting my truck over to an electric fuel pump for the new motor and don't like those either.  I'm using the same bosch pump on the truck as the lakester so I can carry a spare, of course being paranoid like I am I now carry a spare mech. fuel pump  :cry: .

Anyone have a view on this??

c ya,

Sum

kb426

I agree with your opinion. I wanted efi so that answered one half. My fan is way below the centerline of the radiator so that answers the other. One more compromise that I'm not crazy about.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Ive been using electric fans for a number of years and i wouldnt go back to a mechanical fan.. IMHO the electrics cool better. Ive run a couple spal's and they were nice but pricy.. I got an ebay deal on the roadster.. we will see how long it lasts. I too dont like the electric fuel pumps.. I have one on the roadster and its noisy..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:
ps: im glad someone posted today.. I came down with the flu at 6pm last night and I didnt make work .. Mainly cause i was up all night ! Ive reached the end of the internet 2 times today..  :lol:

enjenjo

If you have a brand name pump, it should last no problem. Airtex and Bosch are both good names.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

I use a VW Rabbit radiator mount to quieten a electric fuel pump. It's a rubber bushing W/a 6mm stud in each end. I have one on my 47 Ford coupe to prime the mech. fuel pump & you can barely hear the pump when  you turn key on.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat46

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I started to post this in KB's fan question, but didn't' want to muddy that up so I'll start a new thread:

You read places now where the elect. fans can be superior to a mechanical one and certainly car manufactures use them.  I still feel safer reliability wise with a mechanical one on a high mileage car.

Anyone have a view on this??

c ya,

Sum

Or you can be really paranoid like me and run a electric and a mechanical fan....

kb426

Dave, you healed up? Do we need to get out the funeral clothes? :lol:
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you have a brand name pump, it should last no problem. Airtex and Bosch are both good names.

I went with Bosch as it supports the HP numbers I hope to have on the blown 'busa motor that will end up in the lakester and it was recommend by a lot of the guys that run those motors in their bikes at b'ville.  So between them and the one I'll have in my truck if there is a problem I should have it covered.  

They are suppose to be good for in the 600-650 HP level.  Since I hope to be at the upper level of that when I put the turbos on the new truck motor I put two outlets in the sump I just welded to the fuel tank and right now will just use one, but after the pump and filter the single 1/2 inch line goes to a "Y" and then two 3/8 inch supply lines up to the regulator on the firewall that has a single 3/8 return line.  If later the one pump isn't adequate I'll just have to hook a second pump to the 2nd supply line.  I'll have some pictures of all of this posted in a day or so if anyone is interested.

c ya,

Sum

river1

Quote from: "1FATGMC"when I put the turbos on the new truck motor

c ya,

Sum

have you seen pics of elpolacko's turbo set up :shock:

here are some from glen's site

it's a pretty impressive peice of work.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Beck

I have always liked the mechanical fan. Years back I installed one of the water pump risers on a rod just so I could keep the mechanical setup. (Just like Duece's in the other post)
If you are going to use the electric fan I think you should spend the bucks and buy a good one.
My current project actually has a problem with the motor running too cool. I have a mechanical installed now but may have to change to an electric just so it won't be running all the time.
The electric units that mount on the back of the radiator cut down on installation time. You don't have to build a shroud, which is something else I get carried away with.

1FATGMC

That is nice Jim, I doubt mine will be anywhere near that nice,

Sum

C9

I wonder who's writing the stuff about the electric fan being better?

Granted, sometimes you have no choice, but the ones who amaze me are those who install electric cuz it's "official hot rod stuff."

I removed the crossmember setup in a new Deuce Factory frame, duplicated it with new stuff 2" further back just so I could run a mechanical fan.

The front sheave on a three sheave pulley had to be machined off as well as the engine set as far back as possible against a 32 roadster flat firewall to gain clearance for the 455 Buicks mechanical fan.
Engine setback required a 1" deep dish in the right side of the firewall for rocker flange clearance.

The fan, a Hayden for its set back on the blades as compared to the flange - other brands have the blades centered on the flange - is a 17" six blade with fat stainless blades.

And . . . the fan sits low and left.
In fact the lower part of the fan blade sweeps the front crossmember so you can't use the trans cooler in the radiator.
Radiator is a four core Walker from 1985.

The setup has a shroud.

The engine runs cool in hot weather and slow traffic.

Running the fan in the center of the radiator is desirable engineering-wise, but it's not required practically speaking.

I've yet to find someone who had an overheating car with a good radiator and reasonably efficient low hanging fan where the overheating was cured by raising the fan....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

kb426

C9, my fan is lower than the center by enough that there is a couple of inches hanging below the bottom of the core. Building a shroud would be a mess. I've been fine so far but I'm sure with "my wife's ac" on this summer, unless it's going down the highway, I'll have a problem.
TEAM SMART

C9

Quote from: "kb426"C9, my fan is lower than the center by enough that there is a couple of inches hanging below the bottom of the core. Building a shroud would be a mess. I've been fine so far but I'm sure with "my wife's ac" on this summer, unless it's going down the highway, I'll have a problem.

Me too on the low fan bit.

It's so far down the bottom part of the Walker shroud is cut away.

Hard to tell in this pic - kinda funny I have a lot of pics, but never seem to have quite the right angle for some stuff.

I have run the car during hot summer days (100 degrees +) without the shroud and it did just about as well.

Hood top and sides are liberally louvered.

HotrodsrJ I think his name is did a tech article on fans and how much they pull.  )First name is Steve . . . Last name Jack or something like that.
The article is somewhere out there on the net.
One of the sites has hot rod or hot rodding in the title.
The site is run by a hot rod parts seller.

I think the same article may be here on the Roundtable.

If Denise drops in here she may remember the name, they gave her a ration cuz she's female and stood up for herself.
She left, I left.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.