Highway robbery!

Started by phat46, June 02, 2004, 05:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I finally got around to renewing the license plates on my '46. A few things have change in Michigan this year i see....first the fee itself went up $8, no big deal, inflation etc. Next they don't prorate the plates any longer if you get them renewed after the renewal date, I have no need of plates on my '46 in January and they alway used to credit me the time that I didn't use the plates. Oh yeah, if you DON'T renew by the renewal date they now charge you $10 extra, sooo long story short, my plates cost about double what they did last year.  And of course they charge extra every year for a personalized plate even though they only have to make it ONCE!!!!  I guess you can't fight city hall so i will just have to get my moneys worth out of it this year , yee haa going for a ride :lol:

purplepickup

Joe, there were a few other things that changed last Oct when they passed a bundle of laws with higher fees and fines to build up the state's sagging treasury.  My trailer plate went from $18 to  $75.  The fine for not having a current proof of insurance in your car when asked for it is $300 even if you have valid insurance coverage.  They're trying to repeal that one tho.  There's a bunch of other fees assessed under the "Driver Responsibility Program, for people that have points on their license.  It's an annual fee ranging from $100 to $1000 depending on the category of the offenses.  This fee is over and above the fines they paid.  It's just a fee for having the points on your license.  The changes weren't very well publicized and there have been a lot of surprised people.
George

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"Joe, there were a few other things that changed  The changes weren't very well publicized and there have been a lot of surprised people.

I knew about the "late" fee, i wonder how many millions they have made from motorcycle riders alone, I ran into a guy i work with at the Sec. of States today, getting his bike plates, he reminded my of the "late' fee. Then i got thinking about how many bike plates are renewed on time, like in February. The nice lady at the counter said i might as well get mine in Jan. when they are due to save the late fee. Yeah right, I said, and pay insurance for three months that I'm not driving!

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"Joe, there were a few other things that changed last Oct when they passed a bundle of laws with higher fees and fines to build up the state's sagging treasury.  My trailer plate went from $18 to  $75.  The fine for not having a current proof of insurance in your car when asked for it is $300 even if you have valid insurance coverage.  They're trying to repeal that one tho.  There's a bunch of other fees assessed under the "Driver Responsibility Program, for people that have points on their license.  It's an annual fee ranging from $100 to $1000 depending on the category of the offenses.  This fee is over and above the fines they paid.  It's just a fee for having the points on your license.  The changes weren't very well publicized and there have been a lot of surprised people.

So you pay the fine and take the points then they screw you again ? Our wonderful government at work. That one ive heard of and that sucks big . Its doubble dippin and shouldnt be alowed.
Dave

rooster

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "purplepickup"Joe, there were a few other things that changed  The changes weren't very well publicized and there have been a lot of surprised people.

I knew about the "late" fee, i wonder how many millions they have made from motorcycle riders alone, I ran into a guy i work with at the Sec. of States today, getting his bike plates, he reminded my of the "late' fee. Then i got thinking about how many bike plates are renewed on time, like in February. The nice lady at the counter said i might as well get mine in Jan. when they are due to save the late fee. Yeah right, I said, and pay insurance for three months that I'm not driving!

Does your state have Personal Property tax? Emissions testing? I think your state is after your money! It has nothing to do with a  driver responability at all! Sounds like, Robin Hood is working for the goverment .

Crosley.In.AZ

sheesh............ the late fees , yearly extra fee on vanity / custom plates, non pro-rated fee in some cases have been part of AZ for years.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"sheesh............ the late fees , yearly extra fee on vanity / custom plates, non pro-rated fee in some cases have been part of AZ for years.

SOOO, that's where they get these great ideas from....thanks alot!  :lol:

phat rat

Quote from: "phat46"

You don't need to pay 3 months insurance. your agent ought to be willing to give you a proof of insurance with the understanding that it's for just getting the plate not driving it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat46"Then i got thinking about how many bike plates are renewed on time, like in February. The nice lady at the counter said i might as well get mine in Jan. when they are due to save the late fee. Yeah right, I said, and pay insurance for three months that I'm not driving!

========== why wouldn't you ride the scooter in jan & feb?

oh yeah, that weather thing.   :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "phat rat"
You don't need to pay 3 months insurance. your agent ought to be willing to give you a proof of insurance with the understanding that it's for just getting the plate not driving it.

I believe the technical term for what you are proposing is, "insurance fraud."

Any insurance agent who wishes to stay in business would not be likely to represent that something is insured when it is, in fact, NOT insured. The liability complications that could result from such a fraudulent written statement are mind-boggling - let alone the legal and statutory ramifications.

Here in Maine, the Secretary of State's office has prosecuted people who actually insured their cars long enough to show "proof-of-insurance" to get them registered, then canceled the insurance policy.

Bob Paulin
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

58 Yeoman

IL is raising rates on their antique plates this year. We buy plates for 5 years; went from $25 to $30, due at the end of December.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rumrumm

Several years ago under Gov. "George the Crook" Ryan's administration, Illinois license plates just about doubled in one year. Secretary of State Jesse White had a notice put up in all DMV facilities stating he thought the price hike was unfair.  Illinois politics has not improved under our new governor, either. But at least he is not indicted (yet!).
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

purplepickup

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"
Quote from: "phat rat"

Here in Maine, the Secretary of State's office has prosecuted people who actually insured their cars long enough to show "proof-of-insurance" to get them registered, then canceled the insurance policy.

Bob Paulin

I live in Michigan and I have some vehicles that only get driven in the winter and others that are only driven in the summer.  When they are not being driven I call the insurance agent and drop all of the insurance except for Comp and they send me an "Acknowledgement of Vehicle Withdrawn from Use" statement that tells me the consequences of driving without proper insurance.  Right now I have to reinstate the Michgan No Fault insurance long enough to meet the requirements to renew the registration then I withdraw it from use again.  The Secretary Of State's office instructed me to do this to avoid the late charge and the insurance company is fine with it as long as I keep comprehensive coverage which keeps the policy active.

There are a lot of people here that have seasonal cars and Senate Bill 1192 (2004) has been introduced to exempt those vehicles from the $10 late fee if you wait until you put the vehicle back on the road to renew the registration.  Here's an exerpt from the bill:

QuoteIf a tax required to be paid under this section is not received by the Secretary of State on or before the date of the registration plate, the Secretary of State shall collect a late fee of $10.00 for each registration renewed after the expiration date.  An application for a renewal of a registration using the regular mail and postmarked before the expiration date of that registration shall not be assessed a late fee.  The late fee collected under this subsection shall be deposited into the general fund.  However, a late fee shall not be charged under this subsection for a vehicle that is insured only for comprehensive damage.

This was included for seasonal cars that are withdrawn from use and stored, such as cars under lengthy repair, collector cars used only in the summer, cars stored against winter salt, vehicles used for snow removal, or the vehicles of military service persons on duty overseas.  It doesn't say anything specifically about motorcycles but a lot of motorcycle insurance is valid for road use all year round with the cost adjusted, understanding that we can't actually ride them in the winter.  At least mine is.
George

phat46

oh yeah, that weather thing.   :wink:[/quote]

When I owned a bike it got ridden in Jan and Feb.; by then the river was frozen, so it's time to stud up the tires and get sideways. I rode my first roadbike, when i was about 18, all of the first winter i had it. I decided to stop that after i got home from a ride and all but toppled over 'cuz i couldn't feel my legs  or tell if my feet were on the ground... just needed more clothes on. I wonder what the wind chill is at 20* @ 50 M.P.H.?

phat46

I talked to the guys at work that have rods or muscle cars that don't get driven in the winter. One guy has a year of manufacture plate on his '70 " Cuda. A one time fee of $35 is what he says he paid for it, the plate is good for life.  Another guy with a "40 Packard streetrod renews his plate on time, in January, by using the certificate of insurance that is issued when he changes his insurance to "fire and theft" for the winter", he's never had a problem at the Sec. of States.
I have a '46 plate i think i will use starting next year. You're only supposed to drive to and from car events, parades, or other car related activities. I know several people that have that type of plate and drive as much as they want, with no problems from the police. May be the way to go.