Ha Ha boy i mucked this up !!!!

Started by Dave, March 17, 2008, 06:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: "C9"Why doncha knock out an aluminum "speed" blister similar to the hood side blisters SoCal sells?

Saw a hole in the firewall, rivet the speed blister in.

A bit in your face, but all to the good.
It'll give the whiners something to * about.

Even better, polish it so they won't miss it.

Enjenjo's done an article or two on hammer forming scoops and blisters and you should be able to find them here on the RRT.

Then again, if you'd used a big Buick with its front mounted distributor.... :lol:

Jay ive already got a hole cut and boxed for the dizzy but its not tall enuff to get it out. I can remove the cap and stuff I just cant get it out. The other problem is that the ribs on the firewall meet just above the dizzy so although I could hammer out a blister id have to do something to make it look good in that area and the firewall is already finish painted so thats why im gonna try lifting the engine in the rear to increase the angle forward and possibly get it to clear.. Should be interesting.. I havent ruled out a smaller dizzy for more money or modifying the firewall again but im gonna start there. I do have another smaller dizzy i can use to make sure  it will go in and out if it comes to that so at least im not spending money needlessly..  
Dave

BFS57

Hello;
I know you have it all together but would raising the body up a bit seem to get the job done?

Bruce

phat46

Dave it's obvious, you just need a bigger hammer, I have four pound maul that fixes a lot of stuff!   :D

Dave

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
I know you have it all together but would raising the body up a bit seem to get the job done?

Bruce

Yup it sure would but I really dont want to move it at this point as its all final shimmed and every thing seems to be lined up good. I hate to mess with success there.  :lol: Im gonna try sumpin when i get home this evening.. Ill let ya know if it works..
Dave

Dave

Ok so after a few emails to one of out RRT members (im gonna keep his name a secret) ive got another idea.. The only reason I got the other HEI dizzy was cause it seemed like a good price and I wanted a red cap too  :lol:
So mine isnt worn out by no means and what goes south on these stock dizzy's anyway? I would assume the module and the capacitor would be about the only things to wear out. Maybe my best bet is to get a new module and cap and just rebuild it in the car and be done with it. Of course I could always go with one of the hi performance kits to do this too but my original plan was to have the gm reliability and ease of replacement parts purchasing.
So am I missing anything else that could go wrong? I could use the parts out of the new one if i wanted or at least that fancy * red cap ....  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave

enjenjo

It's been my experience that replacement HEI parts are just as likely to fail as the  old ones. My opinion if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Put on your spiffy red cap, and run it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Have to agree with you on using the stock stuff. Doesn't matter where you are you can find a replacement part if something goes south. I'd just do what you mentioned and transfer the new parts to the old dizzy and be done. Lot less monkeying and you said the only reason for the change was the pertie red cap .
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"Have to agree with you on using the stock stuff. Doesn't matter where you are you can find a replacement part if something goes south. I'd just do what you mentioned and transfer the new parts to the old dizzy and be done. Lot less monkeying and you said the only reason for the change was the pertie red cap .

And here i was looking for some long winded answer from you touching on my lower than your IQ and how you figure it should be done figuring your answer was gonna be way out in left field... :?:  :?:  :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Just kidding Jack... Ya i think im gonna do just that this evening. Im still not sure about the engine anyway although it does seem to run pretty good but no speed demon... Hell if i have to ever pull it i can experiment then with a way for clearance.. This cant be any worse than the the gm cars that you had to lift the engine to change plugs.. At least i can do a tune up..  :D One reason I had in mind for changing out the dizzy was the wire harnes isnt the greatest but hell i might as well use that to
Dave

UGLY OLDS

Uh....I,m kinda late for this ...But....SHHHHH!!!  ( Remove a motor mount & lower the engine a scootch.. :shock:  :idea:  :wink: )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Bull S^&T that take a cherry picker.. I got it fixed and the new dizzy is in and im not saying what i did to get the new dizzy in .. Some day over some cocktails I may tell..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Harry

Shoulda put a Ford in it.
The distributor is on the right end. :lol:

C9

Only thing I can think of is making sure you can service the distributor in the field.

I'd be inclined to swap the distributor out for the smaller one so that you could remove it without having to jack up the engine etc.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Dave

Quote from: "C9"Only thing I can think of is making sure you can service the distributor in the field.

I'd be inclined to swap the distributor out for the smaller one so that you could remove it without having to jack up the engine etc.

Jay I made a decision this evening and i did what i had to do and the new distributor is in.. I wont go into details but the only thing that was changed was the dizzy.. I re engineered the HEI distributor.. At least for my car and at 40 bucks a piece ill order another and modify it for a carry along spare  :lol:  :lol:

tomslik

Quote from: "jusjunk"Bull S^&T that take a cherry picker.. I got it fixed and the new dizzy is in and im not saying what i did to get the new dizzy in .. Some day over some cocktails I may tell..

mmmm...ok......why'd ya bring it up in the 1st place if you're not gonna tell us? :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Pep

Geez...my dizzy clears the firewall by miles..oh...wait...but its a Ford :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ...Yeah you Chevy guys deserve some problems...we have sump clearance issues instead :wink:
See Ya
Pep