New project

Started by sedanman, March 11, 2008, 07:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedanman

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a new project, Its a 1930 Modal A Coupe. The guy I bought it from sold me rolling chassis and body. The chases is set up for a small block chevy and th350 trans. I would like to put a 1966 327 I have been sitting on for a few years and a more modern 5 speed manual trans. I have been researching the net to see what a good chose of donor trans would be. Will I have to move trans mount if I went with a nv3500 or a t5 from a blazer or s10?I would like to buy a donor vehicle and be able to use trans, bell housing, clutch and all other components if thats possible. Any suggestions?  :D

sedanman

40_Tudor

I had a non-world class T5 in my 40 until I blow a tooth off the cluster gear last fall. The engine and trans came out of an 87 Iroc. I replaced it with a word class T5, much better and stronger trany. If you use a T5 be sure its a Word Class You can tell the Word Class from the cluster gear seal on the front of the trany below the input shaft. Its a bearing race with a cover over the center. You can see the Tompkin race number on it. The non-world class just has a plug over the shaft, looks like a freeze plug.
I looked up the specs when I was replacing the trans. Hears a link to some of the info I used... http://www.inliners.org/Jack/t5_page.html
Don't use a T5 from anything other than a V8. The v6 T5 won't hold up.

I think you 350 rear cross member would have to be moved or modified for the rear mount the T5 as far as the placement set back from the engine. Try Googling the dimensions on each trany and compare them. Should be a easy fix though.

I also used the hydraulic clutch set up from the Iroc with a set hanging pedals out of a Ford pickup.
I think if I was doing it over I'd put in a 700R4 trany.

Hope this helps.

sedanman

Thanks  40_Tudor. That site and your input was a big help. I will try to google dimentions for both trannys and see what  I find. sedanman  :D  :D