Louisville trip and storm

Started by phat rat, March 09, 2008, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Instead of going to the show in Detroit I went to the swap in Louisville. The weather was decent when I left Muskegon at 5 a.m. Fri morning. However around 9:15 just north of Indy I started seeing some snow flakes, well it kept getting worse until about 75 mi from Louisville. Then the s#$% hit the fan, the last 75 mi took 2 1/2 hrs due to slide offs and wrecks, yes I kept it upright and on the road. The next time we're in Louisville for the Nats and it's 90-100 degrees I'm going to remember this week-end. The official snowfall at the airport was 10 1/2" from mid-morning Fri. to yesterday mid-morning and the temp was high teens low 20's. There were vendors who made it for set-up on Fri but were unable to make it back yesterday and some who didn't make it at all because of all the snow and of course attendance was low also. For those who have gone to this meet imagine at noon on opening day and being able to drive a truck down the aisles without a problem.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

57larry

I didn't go to the swap meet because of the snowfall. it's a shame because it is always a good swap meet

phat rat

Well it's big, but it's gotten to be a lot of newer stuff 50's-70's, restoration parts, tool, sandpaper, etc dealers.

enjenjo

That seems to be the case with most swap meets any more. Even Hershey. The Springfiels swap is still good though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

I only bought one thing for the hot rod. A complete front disc set up for a 37-48 Ford,  they supposedly were only on the car and never driven, the brackets look like Super Bell. Almost felt guilty :wink:  buying them the price was so cheap  :shock:

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"Almost felt guilty :wink:  buying them the price was so cheap  :shock:

lemme find my swampers.. Its getting deep here.
Dave :lol:

papastoyss

We had 2-3 in. of snow where I live 3 hrs so. of Louisville. I waited for the roads to clear & left home at 10 am instead of 4 am like I usually do. I was surprised there were so few people there. You could walk down the center of each aisle & see everything on both sides no problem. Some vendors were so hungry they would really deal, others so pi#@%^$# off they wouldn't deal at all.I bought all I could pack out in one trip & got some good deals. I needed air line chucks for my new shop & found Milton brand for 3$ each.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

You guys have sure had more than your share of snow this year. I've quit going to swap meets in my part of the world. All the good stuff seems to go to ebay. I used to enjoy looking at all the stuff but I found other things to do with my time. Like redo the stupid mistakes on the 32.
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "phat rat"Almost felt guilty :wink:  buying them the price was so cheap  :shock:

lemme find my swampers.. Its getting deep here.
Dave :lol:

Take note, I only said ALMOST

papastoyss

Quote from: "kb426"You guys have sure had more than your share of snow this year. I've quit going to swap meets in my part of the world. All the good stuff seems to go to ebay. I used to enjoy looking at all the stuff but I found other things to do with my time. Like redo the stupid mistakes on the 32.
We used to go to a real good swap meet at Petit Jean mtn. in west Ark. Fathers Day weekend. It's an AACA car show & swap . Last time we were there there was still original T sheetmetal for sale. Mike aka Earl Schieb scored a Phillips 66 neon sign .
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat rat

Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "kb426"You guys have sure had more than your share of snow this year. I've quit going to swap meets in my part of the world. All the good stuff seems to go to ebay. I used to enjoy looking at all the stuff but I found other things to do with my time. Like redo the stupid mistakes on the 32.
We used to go to a real good swap meet at Petit Jean mtn. in west Ark. Fathers Day weekend. It's an AACA car show & swap . Last time we were there there was still original T sheetmetal for sale. Mike aka Earl Schieb scored a Phillips 66 neon sign .

I wanted to go to that one this year. But now I can't, wifes youngest son and his fiance decided to get married that week-end. In Cancun no less, so no chance of me making it.

57larry

when is the next swap meet in Springfield, Ohio ?