Steering column parts

Started by enjenjo, March 02, 2008, 05:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

From time to time I need parts for GM tilt columns. I have nearly exhausted my stock of used parts, and the guy I was buying new parts from has disappeared. Anyone have a good source?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

No advice, similar problems.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Wayne mentioned Dorman Products awhile back.... :?
By the way ...Good going on the no smoking ... :b-d:
Is dinner tasting better yet  :?:  That's the "magic point" .... :D
Bob
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Are they getting scarce in the 'yards? Used to pick 'em up here for $20-$25 around here, but that was at least ten years ago

wayne petty

http://www.nuparts.com

not too far from crosley...

http://www.nuparts.com/browse.go/

they did have some older stuff.... i have bought from them before...

the parts come in boxes with briggs and strattion part numbers...

try to find gm part numbers as those are the same... at least for columns...

they mostly sell to parts stores and junk yards.... as i understood...

wayne....

so full of it i'm over 500 pounds...

C9

The Chevy Lumina is a car and a van?

Not sure where it came from - van or car, but it was ID'd as a Lumina.
A friend gave me a Lumina steering column complete.
Kinda short though, maybe 2' long.

Plan is to use it for a few experiments.
I like to make my own ball-bearing steering columns and was thinking out loud about how difficult it would be to make a small and good looking tilt column.

One of those back burner projects, not sure when I'll get to it.

Anyway, with as many mini-vans and SUVs I see in the local Pic-a-Part I wonder if you could use one of those for parts?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Many of the small parts were changed when they started installing air  bags. So parts for non air bag columns are getting scarce in the salvage yards.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Quote from: "C9"The Chevy Lumina is a car and a van?

Both.Made no sense to me.

wayne petty

yes.. a car and a light van.... by the way here is a look at one section of camaro column parts

http://www.nuparts.com/browse.cfm/Steering%20Column%20Parts/Chevy%7CGMC/Camaro/All%20Years

GPster

How much did they change them between keys in column and air bags. I've ended up with a '93 S15 tilt column and I made sure I got the key but the removal was kind of "Butchered". The cruise control wires  and the windshield wiper/washer wires were cut. There's enough wire to slice on to but I don't have any reason to. I don't have any of the rest of the cruise components and the washer/wiper is just the 3 wire to a modual and I'm going to try to stay with the vacuum wipers anyway. I'm too lazy to pull the steering wheel to see what I've got and I don't have any idea how far to go back to look for a stem/switch to just work the directionals. GPster

GPster

Quote from: "GPster"How much did they change them between keys in column and air bags. I've ended up with a '93 S15 tilt column and I made sure I got the key but the removal was kind of "Butchered". The cruise control wires  and the windshield wiper/washer wires were cut. There's enough wire to slice on to but I don't have any reason to. I don't have any of the rest of the cruise components and the washer/wiper is just the 3 wire to a modual and I'm going to try to stay with the vacuum wipers anyway. I'm too lazy to pull the steering wheel to see what I've got and I don't have any idea how far to go back to look for a stem/switch to just work the directionals. GPster
If you can't answer please point me to a SITE (?). I've checked Wayne's suggestion but it would help if I could see pictures. I could strip my original S15 column but it isn't tilt and it still has the winshield wiper/washer switches in it and I really would like an older (simpler ?) directional signal switch and wand in it. I also planned on loosing the hazzard lights (I don't need to warn ereryone that there's a HAZZARD behind the wheel). GPster

wayne petty

this is ac delcos parts search .. most of the time they have images...

http://198.208.187.182/internet/InternetMain.jsp

here is the hard to find list of autozones  repair manuals online...

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/repair_info/repair_guide/repair_guide.jsp

it lists the ones that are current.. there are steering column images in the steering or under ignition switches i think in chassie electrical....

if at all else fails... almost every gm dealer has a fax back set up in parts...

call the dealer parts guy that you know.. and they can fax you the differnt parts diagrams that you will need. part numbers are not faxed...

one last resource.. is the collision estimating manuals... i had a nice gm one that covered cars a few years older... it grew legs at the last shop i worked at....  a customer took it...

most body shops get them every few months or subscribe to the online services from mitchell or alldata... i keep getting ads from alldata for their system.....
http://www.alldata.com/products/collision/

i really don't meen to steer you in so many directions....  but i am quite literly the nut loose behind the wheel....

wayne

edit... and.. the componants have part numbers cast in... most of the time that is the correct part number.... the electrical parts have tags on the wires....   the column will also have a part tag number on it... that will really help identify it....

GPster

I made a quess and looked up the switch for the '93 tilt column and got the part number (same switch fits all tilt or regular column?) and got a picture and part number, Made a copy. Looked at the '87 non-tilt and got the same picture and switch (no difference between 2 speed wipers and pulse wipers?). Then I went back to a column with key locking and I figured without wiper switching ('75 Malibu) and got a different switch part number and picture. Copied it. They look close enough that maybe the earlier switch will fit the later column. Now I wonder if the switch is strong enough to work the head light dimmer switch? I'd like to put these extra parts in a box and give them to someone that needs them but it seems like a lot of work to try and be helpful. GPster

UGLY OLDS

Joe ...When you find the wiring diagram just concentrate on the turn signal switch wiring .. The hazard switch is part of the turn signal switch ..You don't need the wiper wiring to use vacuum wipers ...I always put the dimmer switch on the floor where it belongs ...At our age it's too hard getting your foot up to that little lever to hit the bright lights anyway.... :wink:

Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Joe ...When you find the wiring diagram just concentrate on the turn signal switch wiring .. The hazard switch is part of the turn signal switch ..You don't need the wiper wiring to use vacuum wipers ...I always put the dimmer switch on the floor where it belongs ...At our age it's too hard getting your foot up to that little lever to hit the bright lights anyway.... :wink: Bob...
Thanks to Wayne I bought a year's subscription to the wiring diagrams for this parts vehicle. My problem is not that I can't figure my way around the wiring but I don't like extra wires going nowhere. It's easier for me to think about the column mounted high-beam switch  because there's no floor yet. I could probably do without it because my wife doesn't want me driving in the dark anyway. GPster