Chopping a curved windshield??

Started by jimcaf, February 22, 2008, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimcaf

Has anyone had success cutting a curved windshield?,Iv read were some were sandblasting thru,Iv got a 53 ford i chopped and am ready for glass,,,big mistake too on my part about 3 years ago i had a buddy in the glass bissiness I could of got one new for about $160 now i dont have the contact and im looking at about $350,,is there a online supply that cuts a deal,I havnt found much,,,thanks jim

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "jimcaf"Has anyone had success cutting a curved windshield?,Iv read were some were sandblasting thru,Iv got a 53 ford i chopped and am ready for glass,,,big mistake too on my part about 3 years ago i had a buddy in the glass bissiness I could of got one new for about $160 now i dont have the contact and im looking at about $350,,is there a online supply that cuts a deal,I havnt found much,,,thanks jim

I have cut a windshield with a sand blaster.  It can be done but it is not an easy job.  If you do not find someone to cut it and you decide to do it yourself, I will give you some tips.

I am trying to post a picture of a windshield that I cut a hole in the upper tinted area.  If you look close you can see the hole.  A glass man will say this can not be done but I did it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

generally we have been about 1 out of 3 on sandblasting glass. I have a buddy who swaers by cutting with a Metabo under water, but I've never seen one done that way.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bugpac

Be kinda hard to keep the motor dry wouldnt it frank, or we talking air powered i assume?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bugpac"Be kinda hard to keep the motor dry wouldnt it frank, or we talking air powered i assume?

Like I said, I haven't seen him do it, I would like to though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

It seems like a shop with a multi axis water jet could cut a curved windshield.  He could layout the cutter path with a coordinate measuring machine and use that data to program the water jet.  Prolly wouldn't be cheap tho.
George

jimcaf

Thanks everyone for all the replys already,,,from what iv gathered so far here and elsewere,,if your not a seasoned glassman which im definitly not my only chance may be trying to blast it,,John id greatly apreciate any tips you could give me...looks to me like your the man!! how did you cut that perfect circle in that windshield!
I just found theres a abrasive water jet place just a couple miles from me,i havnt talk to them yet curious if they could maybe do it,

Bugpac

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

jimcaf

Hi George,,,i was just throwing that idea around,with the waterjet,was curious first if they can do it then of course ouch!!! how much!?!?,,, thanks jim

jimcaf

well if i blast i was reading that metal tape works well on the edge,,i have a bag of i think its silicone carbide,,i bought it years ago when i was building a blasting cabinet,,i remember reading you can use it like 15 times over before it dulls,,if i can figure a way to reclaim it while doing the windshield will be another trick,,i think they used to us this stuff for blasting lettering in tomb stones and such,,,jim

Dusty

Use Lexan when you run outa glass.........I had 2 windshilds ruined while having them cut, for a '54 chevy Pickup.  The Lexan was cheaper.
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Charlie Chops 1940

I chopped a'55 Nomad some years ago and was in the process of chopping a new windshield by trimming it with a 4" grinder with 36 grit fiber discs. Has about an inch off when I sold the car a few years back. The new owner unchopped it and moved on. The theory there is to not build a lot of heat up by trying to grind it off in one setting. Grind the 2 edges and remove the point - about 1/16" at a time - and stop. I did it twice a day when I had time. It was working quite well.

Your mileage may vary.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "jimcaf"well if i blast i was reading that metal tape works well on the edge,,i have a bag of i think its silicone carbide,,i bought it years ago when i was building a blasting cabinet,,i remember reading you can use it like 15 times over before it dulls,,if i can figure a way to reclaim it while doing the windshield will be another trick,,i think they used to us this stuff for blasting lettering in tomb stones and such,,,jim

I used cheap silica sand and I only use it once.  Although it is not as cheap as it once was.  Sandblasting is kind of funny in that it does not do well on stuff that is soft or rubbery.  I mask both sides of the glass with 3m double sided tape but you could probably use something else that has the same properties.  Monument companies use a special masking material and it works well.  I then mask back from this with a heavy fabric tape like duct tape, and then I just mask of the rest of the windshield with paper.   You need to mask off both sides of the windshield as you will cut one side and then the other.  When you blast, you will find that the glass wears away fairly quickly but the plastic material in between the two layers of laminated glass does not. (it is soft and rubbery)  You need to support the part you are cutting away so that it does not move as you finish your cut.  If the scrap is not supported it will break the glass right as you are to the end of the cut.  After cutting through the glass, you can cut the plastic laminate with a knife.  I have a friend who does my glass work and I got the windshield in the picture from him.  It was one he had removed and it was cracked but it was something I could use to experiment.  I would suggest that you do the same.  In addition you will want to have the sandblasted edge sanded on a special sander that glass shop have.  The blaster will leave the edge a little rough.

I would first make a pattern of the windshield and trim it so that the pattern will fit your car.  This is very important and probably will take more time than cutting the glass.  I suppose you could make a paper pattern but I have my way.   I would lay up several layers of fiberglass on the waxed windshield and trim the fiberglass to the same size as the windshield.   After removing the fiberglass pattern from the windshield, I would then trim this fiberglass piece until it fits the opening on the car with the gasket, that you are going to use, in place.  Use this pattern to mark your windshield.  There will be some difference in size between the fiberglass pattern and the windshield but you should be close enough.

If this does not make sense or you have questions, just ask.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

jimcaf

Hi John,,,great instructions on how to blast it,,just a couple of questions,,,do you start from one end or the middle out or does it not matter?do you generally want to finish on an end or in the middle or being if you have it supported it dosnt matter? and when you get thru to the laminate and are done on the one side do you cut the laminate out of the way and go all the way thru on the one side or do you turn the windshield over on the bench and start again from the other side,,roughly how much sand will i need to pickup
 thanks jim

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "jimcaf"Hi John,,,great instructions on how to blast it,,just a couple of questions,,,do you start from one end or the middle out or does it not matter?do you generally want to finish on an end or in the middle or being if you have it supported it dosnt matter? and when you get thru to the laminate and are done on the one side do you cut the laminate out of the way and go all the way thru on the one side or do you turn the windshield over on the bench and start again from the other side,,roughly how much sand will i need to pickup
 thanks jim

I did each side in to the layer of the laminate.  The laminate is difficult to blast through.  I just start at one end of the glass and go to the other end in one pass.  I do not think it makes a difference in the order you cut but it is easier to start at one end or edge.  You may be able to do it in a way that you can actually use the masked edge as a template or guide  for you sandblaster tip.  By experimenting a little, you can learn the best angle to hold the tip.

It will depend on your blaster as to how much sand you will need but I would think a couple of 80 pound bags would do.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck