RIP Sears-Dunlop

Started by enjenjo, February 03, 2008, 07:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

My Sears Dunlop 1/2" drill died this weekend. I bought it at auction back in 72 for $11. It was old then. The armature blew up yesterday, no parts available. This thing has drilled thousands of holes for me. I drilled 108 5/8" holes in each of three truck frames, doubled rails, to mount bodies on them. I would drill holes for trailer hitches by jacking the drill up into the frame with a floor jack. I drilled 2" holes in 1" plate with it. I figured it would outlast me. The only repair in all that time was replacing the cord.

I am truely bummed. :(
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

Sorry for your loss, Frank, I know how tough it can be to loose a beloved tool.  :(

I had a jig-saw that belonged to my Dad. an old-school saw with a cast metal case. was cutting some plywood when it shorted out and caught fire :shock:   scared the crap outta me :!:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Bugpac

Frank, you got a casket picked out and a plot in the back 40 yet... :D

I hate breaking old tools as well, sentimental value and tools seem to go hand and hand...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Charlie Chops 1940

I feel your pain.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

Quote from: "Bugpac"I hate breaking old tools as well, sentimental value and tools seem to go hand and hand...
Tols that are old to you seem like teenagers to some of the rest of us. GPster

Bugpac

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Bugpac"I hate breaking old tools as well, sentimental value and tools seem to go hand and hand...
Tols that are old to you seem like teenagers to some of the rest of us. GPster

Ya and your * will get replaced when i catch up to you to...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

phat46

That's too bad Frank, but i bet you don't replace it with a new drill from Sears. I won't buy anything electrical from Sears, well for that matter I won't buy anything fromSears... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"That's too bad Frank, but i bet you don't replace it with a new drill from Sears. I won't buy anything electrical from Sears, well for that matter I won't buy anything fromSears... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I don't think I can replace it for under $300. It will probably have to be a Millwaukee industrial to get a similar drill.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Inprimer

Quote from: "enjenjo"My Sears Dunlop 1/2" drill died this weekend. I bought it at auction back in 72 for $11. It was old then. The armature blew up yesterday, no parts available. This thing has drilled thousands of holes for me. I drilled 108 5/8" holes in each of three truck frames, doubled rails, to mount bodies on them. I would drill holes for trailer hitches by jacking the drill up into the frame with a floor jack. I drilled 2" holes in 1" plate with it. I figured it would outlast me. The only repair in all that time was replacing the cord.

I am truely bummed. :(
made me jump off the computer to check out my Dad's Sears its a 1/2 "  Industrial rated 575 rpm  it has a D handle on it its the only drill I've owned that I cant stall, it'll rip out of your hands He bought it in 57/58 and gave it to me before he passed, they don't make them like that any more.

wayne petty

rip drill.... except if you really want... there are electric motor shops that will rewind it and put on a replacement comutator...

you do need to take it apart your self...

i love fixing stuff...price to redo a 1.5 inch diameter armature used to be about 35 bucks...  probably more now.....just a thought...

you dont throw out the old car because the motor blows...

again just a thought...

UGLY OLDS

Dont give up hope yet....There's a website for Collectors of old Craftman stuff...Stumbled on it looking for Atlas lathe stuff...Lemme see if I can find it...Parts galore as I remember.....

Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

48ford

Frank,
Is Latchmillers(spel) still in Toledo?
they can probably fix it for you.
just trying to help
Russ

donsrods

Yep, they don't make them like that any more, now they're all plastic.  :(

I have a very old Milwaukee 1/2 inch angle drill that electricians and plumbers used to drill between joists, and a big ole 9 inch Milwaukee body shop grinder.  Heavy as heck, but when you want to remove some metal quick it sure does the job.  You don't need to go to the gym after using either one for a little while.  :shock:

Don

donsrods

Roadstar

Sorry for your loss Frank. I know what you mean, a good tool becomes like a friend you can coun't on.

I think you got your moneys worth though. Not like some tools today that wont last as long as the warrenty.