Chevy to Chevy/Ford to Chevy

Started by GPster, February 01, 2008, 02:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Today is was going to bolt the driveshaft back up to the rear end (before I tripped on it). I forgot that I had shortened the frame so the driveshaft was too long. So I removed it and taped the universal joint and put it in the corner. Before I taped over the back end of the transmission ('87 GMC S15 4 cyl. 2WD automatic whatever) I tried the splines with a driveshaft out of a '79 TH350. That driveshaft end fit the newer tranny (if that's not right you can stop reading right here). This driveshaft is out of an odd vehicle, a '79 2WD blazer, so it's a strange length. But that strange length looks awfully close to what I'll need. Now the early driveshaft uses universals that are the Chevy truck/8" Ford Mustang size. They have the out-side clips but the rearend is out of a '92 S10 Blazer and it has universal joints that use the inside clips. Is there a universal joint that would use inside/outside clips that would work for this oddball situation? Someone mentioned that he has to build an 8' rearend for an S10 and I thought he might have this figured out. GPster

kb426

I downloaded a u-joint chart from some website a couple of weeks ago and can't find the address. It was around 8 pages long and had a numerical listing similar to a NAPA catalog. I ran a quick search and didn't find it. If my poor feeble memory starts working, I'll post a link.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Ive been there too bill and i cant remember.. But... If your good with a dial caliper or a scale try speedways web site as they have a good chart for u joints.
Dave

Ahh ha looked at my bookmarks and heres a good one ..
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drive-lines.com%2F

enjenjo

Just use a standard S10 joint. On the driveshaft, leave the clips off the inside, and install outside clips. Both joints are the same size, only the clips are different.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.