Lokar floor Shifters

Started by 50jimmy, January 31, 2008, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50jimmy

Howdy. I am looking into a lokar floor shifter for my jimmy. I had built one  of my own design out of a firebird shifter, some  bicycle and riding lawn mower parts, but I wasnt thinkin about back up lights and not being able to start it in gear and back through the garage door.

Does Lokar have a kit to add back up light switch to  their floor shifters? the only one i can find is for column shift, tho I  could probably make it work if I had ever seen one. Oh yah, its a 350 auto transmission.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"This will work with any shifter   http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_750211_-1_10627

Ive installed one of those for a neutral safety switch and it was a nice unit and easy to install.. But you can use it as a safety switch or for backup lights but not both
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

50jimmy

Hey enjenjo. What does that thing bolt up to? the tranny or the shifter?

enjenjo

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "enjenjo"This will work with any shifter   http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_750211_-1_10627

Ive installed one of those for a neutral safety switch and it was a nice unit and easy to install.. But you can use it as a safety switch or for backup lights but not both
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

But you can use two of them side by side with a fabricated bracket to do both.

This one from Ron francis will do both, but they are not very weatherproof.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/transmissionaccessories.htm

50jimmy

I guess what I was really asking on the lokar switch, is what contacts the switch to turn it on and off.   I had been dinking around trying to build something like the ron francis unit, but i was mounting the switch above the floor and using a lever to run off the shifter handle.  If i hadnt tossed or lost the switch off the factory shift lever it would be all good, and the local parts ninnies havent been able to produce a switch for a console shifter, just a column switch like the ron francis.

enjenjo

in both cases, the switch mounts to the trans, and a rod runs it from the shift lever on the trans. The Ron francis unit uses a GM column shift switch, adapted by a bracket to the pan rail. The Locar switch uses a manual trans backup light switch from a truck.

Bib_Overalls

If you buy a Lokar 350 shifter it will have a neutral switch built in that only works in Park and Neutral (If you adjust it right).  You can use the add on switch for your back up lights.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

50jimmy

Hey thanks guys, Its kind of hard to visualize how things work from a picture in the catalog. I do appreciate your help very much.  I hope to get the thing on the road this summer at last. It's been kind of a long haul, with an unexpected move and pretty much putting my shop back together from scratch.  Poo Happens, we move on.  Scott.

enjenjo

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend to help you out.

50jimmy

Is there any particular advantage to a floor mounted lokar or a tranny mounted lokar?  Only thing I can think of is that the works are nice and clean in the cab on the floor mounted version.

My homebrewed shifter was bolted to the floor and I ran a lever/arm down through the floor via a slit to move the shift arm back and forth with a adjustable rod with tie rod ends (mower) on  either end.  I kinda hate to give up on it, but i aint gonna live forever and I would like to drive the thing a while first. :)

donsrods

Quote from: Bib_OverallsIf you buy a Lokar 350 shifter it will have a neutral switch built in that only works in Park and Neutral (If you adjust it right).  

Amen.  We have two Lokars, and can't get either one to work only in park and neutral.....both start in gear!  I've spoken to Lokar, adjusted the heck out of them,and they work for a little while and then quit.  I even bought a new $18 neutral start switch directly from Lokar, still no good.

On the upside, I like them although a heavier than normal knob will drop you down a gear sometimes on RR crossings and bumps, especially with the taller version.

Don

Dave

Quote from: donsrods
Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"If you buy a Lokar 350 shifter it will have a neutral switch built in that only works in Park and Neutral (If you adjust it right).  

Amen.  We have two Lokars, and can't get either one to work only in park and neutral.....both start in gear!  I've spoken to Lokar, adjusted the heck out of them,and they work for a little while and then quit.  I even bought a new $18 neutral start switch directly from Lokar, still no good.

On the upside, I like them although a heavier than normal knob will drop you down a gear sometimes on RR crossings and bumps, especially with the taller version.

Don

Don I never had a problem with the one in my coupe and i bought one for the roadster .. I havent adjusted the neutral switch yet so ill report on that later. Now to  answer the other question i had the floor mounted shifter in the coupe and no vibration and no gear dropping either. the main advantage to the floor mounted though is no bad vibes. I switched to a trans mount on the coupe. They are easier to mount so ill report on the vibration factor later also.. Later is gonna be like spring .. :lol:
dave :wink:  :arrow:

enjenjo

Quote from: donsrods
Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"If you buy a Lokar 350 shifter it will have a neutral switch built in that only works in Park and Neutral (If you adjust it right).  

Don

This is why I like the trans mount neutral switch.  I use the one on the shifter for backup lights.

50jimmy

My new Lokar catalog arrived in the mail today. It all makes a lot more sense now that I have had a chance to look at it.  I am thinking I am going to go with floor mount and get the extra switch and use it to light up the teardrop back up lights.    The catalog is free, very purdy and informative. Thanks guys.