"40 Chev progress

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, January 27, 2008, 10:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

What I got done this weekend...paint and assembly of the '40 Ford style dash for my '40 Chevy. Spent the evening getting started on a harness for it.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

You trying to confuse people? I'll have to see it in person, but it's a new idea.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ohio Blue Tip

Not confused, looks good.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

jaybee

What Enjenjo said.  So...you built a '40 Ford dash with Chevy sheetmetal grafted on?  :)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

Looks great.  That should turn some heads.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Looks great.  That should turn some heads.  

John

I fit the '40 Ford dash over a '40 Chevy dash, tacked it together, then trimmed out the Chevy part under the Ford part. Sliced and diced it a bit to get 6 gauges in, etc.

Guys have used '40 Ford dashes in about everything, so why not in a '40 Chevy. If I ever get a '40 Ford, I think I'll put a '40 Chevy dash in it. Likewise if I ever get a '32 3w or a '33/34 I think I'll unsuicide the doors....that would get the purists wound up to say the least.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Looks great.  That should turn some heads.  

John

I fit the '40 Ford dash over a '40 Chevy dash, tacked it together, then trimmed out the Chevy part under the Ford part. Sliced and diced it a bit to get 6 gauges in, etc.

Guys have used '40 Ford dashes in about everything, so why not in a '40 Chevy. If I ever get a '40 Ford, I think I'll put a '40 Chevy dash in it. Likewise if I ever get a '32 3w or a '33/34 I think I'll unsuicide the doors....that would get the purists wound up to say the least.

Charlie

I like the way you think.   Does that make me sick?
:lol:
John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Okiedokie

Charlie Chops 1940

John,

I've seen you in action....you're at least as sick as me - LOL.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

n.c.rodder

Now thats definitely something different........I like it also!!..........Than again you've never claimed to go with the flow have you. :wink:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

msuguydon

*, you guys do nice work  :!:
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

dragrcr50

that car is way cool any way you do it,  i got to ride in it on a bonneville trip through utah, lookin at the original dash and it was very nice,  good work charlie. I like it.............
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, it's been a good bit since I've done any work on the '40, but I've covered up the Volvo for a few months and will get the '40 finished up and back on the road this summer. Been laid up a couple years or so.

One of the things I always liked on older cars was a bullnose center strip on the hood. Couldn't find one so I cut and  grafted together two stock '40 strips that were normally just behind the hood ornament. I made an aluminum insert to go between the two pieces and hold them butted together. Just a piece of 1/8" aluminum angle about an inch long, lovingly filed until it could be tapped in tightly.

I had flush fit windshields in the car for about 20 years and they started to leak and I found rust under the framework. I restored the openings back to the original pinch weld configuration and added a metal wind split ala '39/'40 Ford convertibles. That's been done and the cowl and windshield frame area painted black for some. Borrowing a trick Roadstar used on his '40 Ford coupe, today I added flexible chrome door edge guard around the opening to simulate the original s/s trim. I think it turned out well. Next will be to get the appropriate adhesive to glue the glass and rubber in the opening from the inside and put the garnish molding in to finish it up.

Also added a leather wrap banjo wheel that I got a couple years ago. It was a 5 bolt center so I made an adaptor to a 9 bolt LeCarra center and painted it all black.

See the pics. Feels good to back after the ole girl.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

dragrcr50

gonna keep those kool vette hubcaps on it charlie?
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "dragrcr50"gonna keep those kool vette hubcaps on it charlie?

Went through the whitewall/hubcap phase pretty quickly. Have a set of Halibrand Sprints on there now. Feels more like a hot rod that way...LOL. I guess I'm just not a whitewalls guy. The tires went to a good home on a friends '29 highboy roadster pickup with Halibrand 5 spokes. Didn't have any trouble selling the Vette caps either. I had a couple sets  when I bailed out. Have one pretty rugged wall hanger left.

Charlie

A Hooligan!