Brake Pedal Clearance Issue???

Started by seadog, January 11, 2008, 09:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I'm putting my Deuce 5 window project together for the final time before paint and have run into a brake pedal clearance problem.  The brake pedal arm hits the outside of the toe board before it goes in far enough for the pushrod and the pivot attachment point to mate up.  It appears that the push rod is about an inch too long.  It looks to me like the push rod needs to be shortned, there is no more adjustment left between the clevis and the pivot, but I thought I'd check in here before I whack it.  Is this the right solution or am I missing something?  I plumbed the brakes while the body was off the frame and until the body went back on I had no way to know this was going to be a problem.  I'm using a Wilwood alum master cylinder and 4 wheel discs.

Bugpac

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

enjenjo

How much brake pedal travel do you have. Rule of thumb, the master cylinder should bottom out before the pedal reaches the  floor.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

C9

Heres some pics that may help.

7/8" bore M/C (Mustang).
68-70 Mustang front disc brakes.
68 Merc wagon 11" drum brakes.

Deuce Factory brake pedal and bracket, my pushrod and spring etc.

The pedals about a 7/1 ratio.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

phat rat

You say it's a Duece Factory pedal. Did you modify it or is it the way it came from them?  You have way too high a pedal ratio. Should be down around 4 or 5-1. If the pedal ratio was down you wouldn't have all that pedal travel and bottoming out on the floor.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

C9

Quote from: "phat rat"You say it's a Duece Factory pedal. Did you modify it or is it the way it came from them?  You have way too high a pedal ratio. Should be down around 4 or 5-1. If the pedal ratio was down you wouldn't have all that pedal travel and bottoming out on the floor.

Deuce Factory pedal arm, about 1" cut off the top so it can be cross-drilled for a 53 Ford style pedal pad which is held on with a transverse bolt - 5/16" if I remember right.
The DF arms come with a right angle at the top.

You have to be careful with the hole location, the squareness of the top of the pedal arm helps keep the 53 pad located.

Fwiw, you can use the wider brake pedal pad off a 59 Ford, bolts right on.

Everything I read says the brake pedal ratio needs to be 6 or 7-1.
Makes for an easy operating non-power assist system.

The brake pedal arm sticks out of the floor about the right amount.
Looks a little long in the pic.

Same thing was done to the 32.
No one complains about the pedal pad height and it's comfortable to drive.

The brake pedal arm bottoms out in the M/C before it hits the floor.

The brake pedal arm is over to the left a ways because I'm a left foot braker and clearance is required for the wide BBB engine.

Easily done with the Deuce Factory pedal bracket setup.

A couple pics of the 32 at a different angle.

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

phat rat

Quote from: "C9"
Quote from: "phat rat"You say it's a Duece Factory pedal. Did you modify it or is it the way it came from them?  You have way too high a pedal ratio. Should be down around 4 or 5-1. If the pedal ratio was down you wouldn't have all that pedal travel and bottoming out on the floor.

Deuce Factory pedal arm, about 1" cut off the top so it can be cross-drilled for a 53 Ford style pedal pad which is held on with a transverse bolt - 5/16" if I remember right.

You have to be careful with the hole location, the squareness of the top of the pedal arm helps keep the 53 pad located.

The brake pedal arm is over to the left a ways because I'm a left foot braker and clearance is required for the wide BBB engine.

Well I wasn't paying attention on this one. I was thinking it was Seadog I was answering on his pedal hitting the floor.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "C9"

Well I wasn't paying attention on this one. I was thinking it was Seadog I was answering on his pedal hitting the floor.

Ha ha.. you were i think but C9 came in to save the day with color photos and dialog so now you dont know where the hell you are..  :shock: seadog answer us.
Dave

seadog

seadog answer us.
Dave[/quote]

Appreciate all the replies.  I think maybe I didn't do too good a job explaining the problem.  It's not that the brake pedal goes to the floor.  The issue is that the pedal ARM that connects the brake PEDAL to the mastercylinder pushrod at a pivot point under the car hits the OUTSIDE of the toeboard.  As mentioned earlier, I ran the lines and bled the system while the body was off the car.  The pedal is good and hard and everything works like a top with the exception that the brake arm will not go into the hole in the floorboard.  It is stopped from fully entering by interferrence with the outside of the toeboard...there is no more adjustment left in the pushrod for the direction that it needs to go in order to move the brake arm outward.  I don't think simply enlarging the hole is the answer either as it looks like the hole would have to be REALLY LARGE to eliminate the problem.  I will try to take pictures in a day or so...I've been laid up with a really nasty chest cold for the past few days.  Thanks again.

Dave

ok your excused now get the * pics.
Dave :wink:  :arrow: