Aluminum tank needed

Started by WZ JUNK, January 10, 2008, 10:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I need to find a source for a round aluminum tank 15" diameter by 45" long.  I am going to make a larger water tank for the #974.  The two tanks that I currently have are water tanks from older motor homes and they are smaller.  I want to make a tank that is as large as it can be and still fit the space we have in the car.  I checked the local RV salvage and I found that all the newer motor homes use plastic tanks.  So if any of you have thoughts on where I can find an afforable tank, let me know.  If I can not find one, I imagine we will make one.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I need to find a source for a round aluminum tank 15" diameter by 45" long.  I am going to make a larger water tank for the #974.  The two tanks that I currently have are water tanks from older motor homes and they are smaller.  I want to make a tank that is as large as it can be and still fit the space we have in the car.  I checked the local RV salvage and I found that all the newer motor homes use plastic tanks.  So if any of you have thoughts on where I can find an afforable tank, let me know.  If I can not find one, I imagine we will make one.

John

MAS ? they have adds in street rodder and other mags.. Thier tanks are pretty cheap too.
Dave

sirstude

I was going to tell you Moon, but then you said affordable, and that kind of lets them out.

Doug :lol:  :lol:
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Is there an air compressor tank or a propane tank close to that size?  Prolly not many compressor tanks made from aluminum but a lot of propane tanks are.
George

Bruce Dorsi

I saw this, but no sizes are listed.  .....Price is right!

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mat/530208108.html

Is there any reason you can't use a fiberglass tank?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

UGLY OLDS

John...This sounds kinda crazy BUT....When my Kidd was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, the "Aircraft Reclamation Center" , ("Junkyard" to us normal folks) , is located at the East end of the base...
  Around that area there are many private "Aircraft Salvage Yards" that buy the salvage aircraft parts for resale...The one thing I remember from driving past them is alum tanks of all shapes..sizes..colors..etc laying everywhere......I would think that if aircraft certification is not a requirement the cost may be reasonable :?: Maybe look in the yeller pages for used aircraft parts or maybe one of our Arrow-Zonie buddy's can help out.....

Just a thought..Bob.....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"John...This sounds kinda crazy BUT....When my Kidd was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, the "Aircraft Reclamation Center" , ("Junkyard" to us normal folks) , is located at the East end of the base...
  Around that area there are many private "Aircraft Salvage Yards" that buy the salvage aircraft parts for resale...The one thing I remember from driving past them is alum tanks of all shapes..sizes..colors..etc laying everywhere......I would think that if aircraft certification is not a requirement the cost may be reasonable :?: Maybe look in the yeller pages for used aircraft parts or maybe one of our Arrow-Zonie buddy's can help out.....

Just a thought..Bob.....

Huh.. I was there quite a few years ago.. the step daughter was stationed there also.. I sure didnt like the weather .. too Hot running the air in my truck on high at midnight  :? . never was west till then and i drove out there and i did enjoy the drive.. I like seeing new places..
Dave
ps: went to nogales  mexico (spelling) too

enjenjo

A 100 lb propane tank is 14.5" by 48" if that will work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MrMopar64

www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

ChevyGirlRox

I can fly!

Well behaved women rarely make history.

wayne petty

i dont have a copy of the mag.. but it was a thick truck mag from primedia.. there was a 4 or 6 page ad from a air suspention company in arizona... and they had what looked like good prices on aluminum air tanks...

with the amount of fabracation  you have already put in to the car.. a custom tank would keep the look...

rolling the sheet is nothing.. but .. spinning the end plates in a lathe to form them ...  should they be concave... convex... cone shapped pointing in... made from a circle with a pie cut out of it ... or even fluted / round stepped made over a wooden block spinning on the lathe ... sort of an art deco look...  as long as there is no pressure ...

again these are just my thoughts...  and most of my ideas are just ideas..

river1

Quote from: "wayne petty"i dont have a copy of the mag.. but it was a thick truck mag from primedia.. there was a 4 or 6 page ad from a air suspention company in arizona... and they had what looked like good prices on aluminum air tanks...

with the amount of fabracation  you have already put in to the car.. a custom tank would keep the look...

rolling the sheet is nothing.. but .. spinning the end plates in a lathe to form them ...  should they be concave... convex... cone shapped pointing in... made from a circle with a pie cut out of it ... or even fluted / round stepped made over a wooden block spinning on the lathe ... sort of an art deco look...  as long as there is no pressure ...

again these are just my thoughts...  and most of my ideas are just ideas..

spinning video, pretty cool

http://metalspinningworkshop.com/MovieClipTwo.html

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wayne petty

now thats what i am talking about.....  i can just see self spun drop tank flats cars...

UGLY OLDS

Gee..I only suggested aircraft tanks 'cause they're prolly used to going fast & wouldn't get afraid'ed...... :?  :?  :wink:

Bob......
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Jbird

Now, that is a cool video. Some guys get to have all the fun   Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance