Grill Bars, powder coat or paint?

Started by 48builder, January 08, 2008, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm just about done fabbing all the new mounting points for my modified grill. The front bumper is going to be chromed, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the grill bars.

I'm not sure if I want a lot of chrome on the car other than the bumpers. I'm thinking I'll leave the rest of the grill black like the car. I can either paint them or get them powder coated. Any benefits to either? For prep, I'm thinking just sandblast? Or maybe even just scuff up with 600 grit?

Also may consider a chrome appearing powder coat. The guys who are doing my powder coating are high on the color. I may have then do 1 piece and see how it looks. Kind of defeats my all black idea, but I have an extra piece I can try it on.

I also broke a small piece off the end of my top section. I may try that low-heat weld rod and see if I can fix it, O/W I'll look for a new pice on ebay.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "48builder"The front bumper is going to be chromed, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the grill bars.

Walt

Chromed grill pieces will look best and be the best bet for resale value as well.  Ask my dad who's trying to sell a car with painted bumpers and grill pieces.  Doesn't matter when it was done, it dates the car.  You will never regret chroming pieces.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

48builder

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"[ You will never regret chroming pieces.

So, Denise. How much commission do you get from Steve?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Jbird

I've been playing with black chrome powder coating. It's like a transparent black. Here's a couple of pics of the headlight ring on my 750. I used a metallic dark gray base powder then melted the black chrome over it. I don't know why the one pic looks so grainy, maybe because the flash penetrated the transparent black. The well focused(ha ha) pic looks more like real life. It's really glossy and glassy. I'm gonna use it on some chrome no, so perfect sbc valve covers later today I'll post a pic or two.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

35WINDOW

I recently had a Grille made for my '35-offered in Polished or Chrome. At first I went polished (I was going to have it Powdercoated, but then I started thinking about Stone Chips and Insect debris-I called back and had it chromed-

Topsterguy

I would get it chromed. The "near chrome" ( that's what they call it up here in canada, eh)would look kinda cheesy on that application I think. It looks okay on intakes etc but not on body trim pieces. Black would definitely date it to that "monochromatic thing".
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

48builder

Quote from: "Jbird"I've been playing with black chrome powder coating. It's like a transparent black.

I really like this look. I may have my shop try this and see what it looks like. Thanks for the pics

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Quote from: "Topsterguy"I would get it chromed.  Black would definitely date it to that "monochromatic thing".

I may do that. One of the reasons I am chroming the bumpers is to avoid the monocromatic look. I want some chrome, just not as much as stock.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"[ You will never regret chroming pieces.

So, Denise. How much commission do you get from Steve?

I wish.  I don't think he realizes how often I sing his and his shop's praises.  No big deal though, he treat me right.  I've had friends I've turned on to him and he's treated them very fair as far as price goes as well, without a decrease in quality.  I have a couple more pieces that need to go to him as soon as I save up some moola.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Bob K

Walt:

Go with the chrome for sure, I had the 47 monoed for 10 years and it is a dated look as someone else said. Another thing the front end will photograph badly in any kind of light but real bright sunlight directly on the front of the car. You need to have some chrome up there in addition to the bumpers.

On the redo of the 47 I am chorming the middle 3 bars on the 46 grille and putting chrome 49 Pontiac bumpers on.

I STILL NEED 3 49  PLYMOUTH BUMPER BOLTS.

B :D B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

enjenjo

If your grille is not good enough to chrome, you can have it black powder coated, finish it smooth, and have it vacuum chromed over the powder coat. There is a place near here that does it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, what is "vacuum chromed"?

It is actually vacuum metalizing. They set the part into a vacuum chamber, and vaporize the metal, which then deposites on the part. They can metalize the part with copper, and then electroplate chrome over it. This process is used on a lot of chrome plated plasic grilles on newer cars.

kb426

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to get that done in the desert. It sounds like an answer to many problems. Is it any more expensive than regular chrome?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

No, it's actually cheaper if the base is prepared good before you send it for plating. There is an outfit here in Toledo that does it. Google plastic chrome plating to find one near you.