Another progress report.................

Started by 1FATGMC, January 07, 2008, 12:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I've gotten a fair amount done on the lakester since the last post..........

.......... just thought I would mention it.  The build menu is here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillecarindexpage.html

c ya,

Sum

exsedan

Lookin' Good....................jb EXSEDAN

sirstude

Sum,  looking good, but I bet I could not even get my leg in that little skinny seat you built.

Doug :lol:
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Charlie Chops 1940

Very nice Sum...looks like a one cowboy pony though.....

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

dragrcr50

good to see it with more steel attached to it sum.......great progress...sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

kb426

I went to Bonneville in 1992. I used Stage V heads back then as did Al Teague. In visiting with Al, I'm looking into the cockpit of the 'liner. Dragster shoulder hoops used to be built on 19" centers. I think his was 17 or less. I think they greased him up, shoved him in and then winched him out. I was surprised at how compact some of the driver's compartments were. I 'm not a big guy either so they would have been tight on me. The bottom line seems to be you can't give up any advantage to go after a record. Someone has been there before you and tried all the easy stuff.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Very nice, Sum.  That thing looks STURDY!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "kb426"I went to Bonneville in 1992. I used Stage V heads back then as did Al Teague. In visiting with Al, I'm looking into the cockpit of the 'liner. Dragster shoulder hoops used to be built on 19" centers. I think his was 17 or less. I think they greased him up, shoved him in and then winched him out. I was surprised at how compact some of the driver's compartments were. I 'm not a big guy either so they would have been tight on me. The bottom line seems to be you can't give up any advantage to go after a record. Someone has been there before you and tried all the easy stuff.

Did you know he was claustaphobic??  At least that is what I was told.  Al stands next to my truck in 1999.  I was parked a few feet from the starting line and Al was strapped into his streamliner when the car running right before him blew his motor down course and scattered parts.  That meant the the course would be shut down for a bit.  Al got out of the car right away.  There was a porta-pottie nearby and Al went and used it.  On the way back he walked by my truck and I asked if I could take his picture by the truck (first time I ever did something like that).  He said yes and I said I trade him the pickup for his streamliner.  He kidded back that he would think about it.  Man do I miss seeing him on the salt and watching/hearing his car go down the salt.

c ya,

Sum

P.S.  Thanks for the encouragement guys.

kb426

Nice story. Most of us have seen the video on some tv channel showing that car run for miles. It's a unique sound. It doesn't go up as high in rpm as I expected. It was better on tv than in person. I only got to hear part of the run, on tv, I heard a full run. Knowing what it takes to make a dragster run over 200 in the quarter and then going to Bonneville and seeing what happens was a surprise. There is alot of stuff that happens on the salt. Anybody that thinks it's easy probably hasn't been there and watched the guys that know there stuff. I hope the project goes well. If I was close, I'd be helping and we'd have a great time.
TEAM SMART

Cword

Wow
Sum the progress you've been making over the past year is amazing.
It's like the lakester started accelerating already.

Or perhaps you're having a cold winter and had to free up all that wood for heat :D

Mike
--

bucketmouth

Quote from: "kb426"There is alot of stuff that happens on the salt. Anybody that thinks it's easy probably hasn't been there and watched the guys that know there stuff.

You know that's a great comment. I've read about salt racing,I've watched documentaries about it, I've heard people talk about salt racing.
How hard can it be,you just turn up and race on a flat surface for miles.It's that easy.
Well you know I don't ever think I heard one competitor say it was easy,in fact I reckon it's fair to say it's a humbling experience for them.
Man against the elements and machinery alike trying to be one at a given moment in a race to the finish line for that elusive mph.
Now that's something I wish I could do but I guess I have to settle for second best and be a spectator.

I've been to Bonneville and I've been to Lake Gairdnier our version of it and you're right a lot of stuff happens on the salt. I guess you just have to be there to experience and appreciate how hard it is.

Anyhow Sumner the chassis looks like a piece of art. To bad you won't be racing it this year 'cause my travelling buddy has managed to add a few more days to our trip to the U.S and we will be comming to Bonneville this year.
Hopefully we'll catch up with the "just happy to be here team"
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "bucketmouth".................Anyhow Sumner the chassis looks like a piece of art. To bad you won't be racing it this year 'cause my travelling buddy has managed to add a few more days to our trip to the U.S and we will be comming to Bonneville this year.
Hopefully we'll catch up with the "just happy to be here team"

One way or the other the lakester will be in our pits by the Stude.  It will be good to see you guys and I'm glad you are going to make it to the salt.  I guess by now you know the new dates.

c ya,

Sum

bucketmouth

G'day Sumner the new dates are what gave us a bit of grief. Should have all our flights finalised by Tuesday. Looking forward to being there again.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.