Mastercylinder identification???

Started by Jbird, December 19, 2007, 01:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

I'm doing a wiring update on an old Brizio 28 Ford cabriolet In the process I found the M/C was leaking pretty good, so I'm replacing it. I was going to upgrade to a dual reservoir M/C. But this car has four wheel discs. I think it will be financially easier if I just replace the leaky one with the same unit. Can one of you ultra intelligent old pharts help a guy out?

Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

2rods

Take it down to your local auto parts store and they will be able to look something up. make sure the bore size is the same. What is a Brizio?

chimp koose

why not call brizio's shop and see if he can recall what m/c he used? chances are he was using the same m/c in a few builds at that time.

phat rat

Quote from: "2rods"Take it down to your local auto parts store and they will be able to look something up. make sure the bore size is the same. What is a Brizio?

Andy or Roy Brizio
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

i have a bendix master id pdf and i will look it up later..???? that is a strange beast...  

it does look totally rebuildable... even stainless or brass sleeveable...

wayne...

must go now.. look it up later. if they show it at all...

GPster

Quote from: "chimp koose"why not call brizio's shop and see if he can recall what m/c he used? chances are he was using the same m/c in a few builds at that time.
That bracket doesn't look like a "One-Off" item but more like something they used on most of their frames. The side-by-side design makes me think that the might have used two of those master cylinders if they had a need for a hydralic clutch. Is this thing old enough to go clear back to Roy's "Instant T" days? The son might know what his father was using because that's where he got his start. GPster

wayne petty

this is as close as i could find in the bendix illistrations...

formula blue is the name now it seems...

i have not found out the reverse refernce  from the illistration number to the part number...

i do have a phone number for the tech line if you need it...

Jbird

Thanks Wayne, that's close and may be what I end up using.

Joe, I called Brizio and he wasn't sure what pops was using back then. He thought it might be off a 40 ford. In the am I'm gonna yank it off and take it over to Vintage Ford. Thanks again dudes  Jbird 8)

wayne petty

ok... it late and i have been searching....- reverse searching...

E135-86-009
Fits..
57-58 dodge D200- D250- D300-D350 trucks
57-58 dodge P300- P350  forward control   parcel vans.  

E135-86-010
Fits 57- 58  dodge

S500 - S600 school busses
D600- D700  conventional cabs
D700  Forward control trucks
T700  Tandums...

hope the helps.. even more.. and it explains the second hole for the clutch master in the bracket...

the 86 in the middle of the part numbers denotes it as a medium duty dodge truck...

Jbird

I got the bugger out and found it was mfg by MICO Inc in Mankota Minnesota. They have a west coast division, I called, no answer. I'll call again in the am. Checked their website, lots of good info but this sucker must be pretty old the part # on it wasn't listed. MICO makes master and power cylinders for industrial applications.  It's probably off a farm tractor(I know the Team Smart guys are giggling about farm animals about now) it's a large over small piston unit with a built in residual valve and a relief valve. Here's an autopsy pic. Next I get to make the rear calipers stop leaking, it's a Jag IRS w/inboard discs. Happy me....Jbird 8)

UGLY OLDS

Actually I think they were first used on fork lift trucks ....The "large over small piston" provides an internal pressure boost...Pretty popular in the late 70's / early 80's ...( Or so the old guys have told me ..... :roll:  :wink: )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

sombody put in dot 3,4 fluid...  older jag stuff needs castorol LMA GT fluid..

or else. the seals will swell.. and fail....

be sure to pump some anhydrous alcohol through the lines and hoses....  

use a garder sprayer... hand pump... 10 to 15 bucks... dont get it in you eyes...

and there is special assy lube from girling brake hydraulics..... it is red and from girling or casterol... if luck holds the replacement parts have updated seals out of synthitic rubber instead of natural rubber...

river1

Quote from: "Jbird"(I know the Team Smart guys are giggling about farm animals about now)

we NEVER giggle about our dates :oops:  :oops:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Frank Oddo did an article on the Mico master cylinders in "Street Rodder" probably about 25 years ago. The internal multiplcation of power was thought to be an answer to almost power brakes for vehicles with the master cylinders under the floor and no room for a vacuum booster. When I first started the Jeepster I found one at the swap meet at Goodguys Columbus and it was a duplicate of the Willys mounting. I bought it and later checked the WEB and found a useful information site so you might try a little deeper. I seem to remember them having a re-building site so maybe you could send it in. If Wayne is correct about the wrong fuild being used then the bore is probably not pitted and a re-build and the right fluid would probably do it. If there was any sizing/design to that style of master cylinder to the dual disc brakes the vehicle has you might loose some braking going to the Dodge truck replacement. GPster

wayne petty

the LINK... to download the catalog with info on these masters...

http://mico.com/products/images/34_docfile.pdf

a great read...