new trick for installing spark plug boots.

Started by enjenjo, December 18, 2007, 09:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

As many of you have, I have struggled for hours trying to install spark plug boots. Today I was doing a set for this LT!, and the boots were taking quite some time to install, because they were so tight.

Like most of us, I usually lube the inside of the boot and the wire with dielectric grease, and work the boot over the end of the wire. Most of the time this works, but these boots were long and tight, and it was taking about 15 minutes to get one on.

I noticed a piece of braided polyester loom laying on the bench, and thought of using it like a chinese puzzle. I slipped it over the end of the plug wire, greased it up, and it pulled right in! Instantly!  I finished the whole set of wires in less than an hour.

Only took me 60 years to think of that. i think I'll do another set just for fun. :wink:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

You win the prize for that one. What is this wire loom from you used?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Very good Frank.

Now if I can just remember to do that when the time comes.  Sometimes I reinvent the wheel over and over.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"You win the prize for that one. What is this wire loom from you used?

http://www.trickcableandswitch.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TCAS&Category_Code=wloom14

I use it to cover small wire bundles

Charlie Chops 1940

You win the "Stupid, why didn't I think of that?" award of the year.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

rooster

You have done it again!!!! That needs to go to the tech section. Thanks for the tip. :D

Jbird

It's like an inside out funnel. Man that's gonna come in handy the next time I get to do a set with 90* ends.  Hey Frank, what do you use to keep the ends of that braided loom from unbraiding when you use it over small wire bundles?  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

enjenjo

Quote from: "Jbird"It's like an inside out funnel. Man that's gonna come in handy the next time I get to do a set with 90* ends.  Hey Frank, what do you use to keep the ends of that braided loom from unbraiding when you use it over small wire bundles?  Jbird 8)

Two ways. If I can, I use a short piece of shrink tube to hold it in place. If I can't, I use a small plastic tie to hold it.

Ed ke6bnl

what if you weld the end of a spark plug to a 1/4" rod and run it through the boot and guide the wire and rod back out the boot.  Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Jbird

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Jbird"It's like an inside out funnel. Man that's gonna come in handy the next time I get to do a set with 90* ends.  Hey Frank, what do you use to keep the ends of that braided loom from unbraiding when you use it over small wire bundles?  Jbird 8)

Two ways. If I can, I use a short piece of shrink tube to hold it in place. If I can't, I use a small plastic tie to hold it.

I've been using the shrink tube too. The biggest problem I have is the stuff unbraiding while I'm shoving wires through it. It sure looks better than split loom.   J 8) bird
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance