Confessions of a car nut

Started by enjenjo, December 13, 2007, 11:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I'm not a big fan of woodies, real or fake. They rattle, and squeak. And since I don't like real ones, fake ones are a waste.

I was interested in sports cars before any other type of car, until I drove one.

I have never owned a tri5 Chevy.

I have owned 28 Camaros, one twice,and only drove one of them, the rest were parted out.

I don't thing 16" tires belong on hot rods, all I saw when I was growing up
had 15" wheels, first thing.

I never like three tone paint jobs.

I still would like to own an Austin 7 special.

My dad had red wheels, and WWW on his cars, so I guess that's why I never thought they were cool.

I think a 55 to 57 Tbird is one of the most over rated cars made. Pretty to look at, but very unfriendly to drive.

Hudson, Packard, Nash, and Studebaker are gone because they didn't understand marketing, not because they were bad car.

I think sloppy workmanship reflect on the craftsman, even on a low buck car.

Anything older than you are is an old car, no matter how old you are.

I feel sorry for someone who wants to restore an early 80s car, a lot of the electronics are no longer available at any price.

Hope I didn't offend anyone too much.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

not interested in woodies

not interested in sports cars unless you think of the old Vettes as sports cars

owned  1 55 Chev

no camaros

yes on the 15's

tri-color belongs on animals

the only red wheels I have are on my trailers

WWW back then, but not now

kind of funny when you ask if there are any old cars around and you're  told about something from the mid to late 80's. I just say no, 50's or older
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"'

My dad had red wheels, and WWW on his cars, so I guess that's why I never thought they were cool.

Amen to that.

I'll be glad when WWW go out of fashion again.

midnight sun

Dont feel good or bad about woodies I guess

First car was a 39 Chev Sedan.  Dad's fishing car.

High School...Me and 3 friends took an Austin Healy Sprite onto private land and had road races.  Cops came and we all got thrown in jail.  Had fun though.

Owned a 57 Chev 210 while in college.  Paid $400 for it.  Sold it for $400.

Owned one Camaro...A 1968 Z28.  No bottom end but at about 5500 it would take off.  It was my demo while working at Burt Chevrolet in Denver.  Pretty Funny I thought.

Had 2 Corvettes.  A 1964 Roadster 327 with the old style fuel injection.  Paid $2400 for it in 1967.  1968 Roadster 427/435 HP with 3X2's.  Fastest car I have ever owned.  Paid $5,000 for it in 1968 (used with about 6,000 miles on it.)  Traded it in on a 68 Chevelle SS396 before leaving Colorado for Alaska. Drove it up the ALCAN . 1500 miles of dirt road.  Ugly.

Ditto on 16's on a hot rod.

Three tone...no
Two tone./..eh maybe

I like red wheels.  My 53 Chev had em with WWW's.  My rat rod is gonna have em (maybe) .

Dont know nuthin bout 55-57 Birds.  My neighbor just finsihed rebuilding a 57 though and its really nice.  The rest of the cars he owns are Studebakers.  50 pickup, Golden hawk, President, and is now working on a Lark.  He recently sold one but I dont remember what it was.

How about Edsel???

So if I was born in 1945 does that mean my 48 Ford is not old!!!

Not sure why you would want to restore an 80's type car.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Deuce

:D

We are BOTH old farts ...

Never much into woodie wagons

Had a Vette ( 65 Red, black interior ... 4 speed Big Block roadster ) in 66 ...

Had a bunch of Tri 5's

Had more 67 -69 Camaros than 28 ... 3 Z-28's, couple 396 SS factory cars ... 1 COPO iron block 427  69, and lot of junkers

15 inches ... YES

Black cars ... red wheels ... always works for me ... just the two colors I need ...

Had a Black 56 T-bird ... too small a car for a big guy like me ( or you  8)  ) ... it had red interior

Old people are folks 10 years or more older than yourself ... [/b]

I bought a new 1990 Silverado ... and went to visit my Dad ... he was 69 years old @ the time ... He said I really like your Silverado ... I think I will get me one also ...  :)   I passed it off as polite conversation ... a few weeks later I drove the 100 miles to visit Dad and there's a 90 Silverado sitting in his yard ... Dad said I got it from a old guy ... because he could not renew his drivers license due to his bad eyesight  

I asked how old the guy was and Dad said the previous owner was 80 ...

:-o
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Carnut

Hummm,

I kinda like woodies, I'm just a stationwagon kind of guy. I probably would never have been able to maintain a woody properly but still I like wagons and sedans, even though my first car was a coupe and I had it for 35yrs or so.

My mom tried to get me to buy an Austin Healy Sprite before I got my coupe, about as close as I got to a sportscar, except for the couple 3 Vettes I've had.

I've had a 56 Chevy Wagon and did a 57 Convertible for my little Brother.
I've always been really fond of Tri-5 Chevies. Just my kind of car. Heck when I drive my 86 Chevy Suburban it brings back memories of my 56 Wagon, kinda why I like it.

No pony cars for me, never did like any of them.

15" is the only size for me. 16" were truck wheels.

heh,heh, I also never got anything out of 3tone paint jobs, or even 2tone for that matter.

I can enjoy seeing red wheels and www's occasionally but wouldn't ever have any, my choice would be black wheel with baby moons and narrow walls for my nostalgia.

I've worked on several 55-57 Birds, guess I never was much in the handling thing, I liked them pretty much because they were 50's era Fords.

I also liked most all 50's era Fords as well.

Of the orphan cars I was mostly a Packard fan due to apprenticing with a former Packard mechanic. Think the rest of the orphans always just looked odd to me.

Dunno about 80's restorations, with all the aftermarket stuff available for computer controlled FI drivetrains to allow retrofit to hot rods, I imagine the ingenuity is there to be able to keep them going.

Think my concerns are for how long our treasured hobby and rides are gonna be around into the future.

Seems we were a generation of folks with a certain ability and taste in things that may not be around much longer.

Heh,heh, I forgot to mention I do have a bit of a thing for 60's Mopars.

donsrods

Ok, I'll play too.  :D

Don't mind woodies but wouldn't want to own one personally.

Sportscars are ok, I liked my Bugeye Sprite (but the 289 Cobra I swapped in made it sooooooooooo much better.  :shock: )

Red wheels are fine with me, but I think I have done my share of cars with them so I am now moving on to other colors.

Yeah, I remember more 15 inch wheels than 16's, but I don't mind them on the right fenderless car.

Love T Birds, but do not like the reproduction ones at all.

Tri 5 Chevies,  these I like a lot, especially 2 lane blacktop '55's.

Three tone paint jobs aren't my cup of tea either.

Sloppy workmanship is just that regardless if high dollar or low dollar.

and some personal ones................

Don't like radials on fenderless cars.

Hate those grille shells for '32 Fords and other cars that have cut out flames protruding back from the shell.

Don't like valve covers from one engine put on another one so that the motor "looks" like the other one. (ie Olds valve covers on Chevy engines)

Independent suspensions on fenderless cars.

Those dumb crying dolls and peeing dog dolls.

and finally, cars that don't follow some theme all the way through.

Don

Uncle Bob

Kinda funny how we can span so much automotive "stuff" over a 45-50 year habit.  The line that caught me the most on your list Frank was the workmanship one.  It's a sorry fad we're living through where people go out of their way (don't they?) to make the car look crappy.

Having some similar experiences, as I look back I call them periods.  I had my clunker period when I first started; 51 Merc, 56 Pontiac, 50 Ford, 56 Bug.  Hey, they were just old cars a school kid working in a grocery store could afford.  Then the drag race period, the sports car period, the 4 wheelin' period, the restoration period, the Bug period, and back around to hot rods.

Did the Tri 5 chev thing, 56 is my favorite, even gave away a 57 Bel Air hardtop once because nobody would buy it.

First sports car was a bugeye Sprite I built for my sister to have as her car but she decided it wasn't "cool" enough for her.  Then on to a few Porsches later in life.  

A string of pickups old and new with the latest being a slammed Ram that's still chuggin' after 11 years.

Went through a period of restoring Hudson Hornets.  The twin H 51 coupe with overdrive was one of the best highway haulers ever!

Thought at one time I'd like an early Vette.........................until I drove one.

Never got into the Camaro thing, though came close once on a 68 396 4 speed.  Most of the muscle stuff I've had were Mopars.

I'm with Pops on the tire/wheel thing, it depends on the car and how the proportions work out.  The concept of theme is lost on some folks.

Not going to start listing pet peeves.......................it would suck up too much bandwidth! :D
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Bugpac

Lol, I guess and early 70's car is old to me...

I cant stand big wheels and low tires, I kind of like www tires, especially on a deuce.

Woodys are for the ladys, not to drive around town... :D

Maybe i am odd, but i especially like the 20-30 cars myself, I wouldnt restore a 69 camaro if it was givin to me....

As most of you have, I have not tinkered with to many rods, Im still dreaming....I have tinkered with a 29 model a tudor with my father...Someday I will have one of my own all original, the chuging sound of the engine turns heads....I would also like a blown big block chevy A on a 32 chassis as well.... :D  :D

I'm just beginning to play with the deuces, I'm not especially fond of the roadsters myself, I am partial to cars with tops, and short windshields...

Oh ya, lets not forget the vw bug, I can say I know them inside and out...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

fitzwell

sorry...i dig woodies, won't ever have enough money to build one, but.....

like the sporty cars, owned a triumph spitfire and an X1/9. I was young & stupid, but both were a blast to drive (when they ran)

owned a 56 chevy in high school, 301, 4speed, straight axle car. That was the vehicle that helped me find religion :lol:

owned 1 camaro, 307/auto on the tree, handled decent, got great gas milage...just slow

16's / 17's look allright on a large early 60's ride, but yeah, the wheels were the first change.

never understood the 3 tone paint either. Would have really sucked to have to match paint after a collision in the 50's

Buddy of mine had a Bug Eye Sprite, never understood the attraction

Dad had a thing for big block fords, that looked like sleepers. He drove a lot to various construction sites, time was of the essance

55-57 tbird....meh, only thing i think about is Suzanne Sommers in one in Graffitti

Hudson, Packard, Nash, and Studebaker are gone because they didn't understand marketing, not because they were bad car.

Argeed, no one evere went broke underestimating the stupidity of the american public

I think sloppy workmanship reflect on the craftsman, even on a low buck car.

Agreed again. If the stuff you CAN see looks bad, think about the things you cant  :shock:

Anything older than you are is an old car, no matter how old you are.

So, by that yard stick only one of my trucks is old? Thank you

I feel sorry for someone who wants to restore an early 80s car, a lot of the electronics are no longer available at any price.

I feel sorry for them, for they have no taste. The early 80's were dark days for Detriot

Hope I didn't offend anyone too much.

You didn't. And if you did....so what, that's why everyone does NOT own a 55 chevy
i never knew what time it was \'til closing time came round

Jbird

I may not qualify as a carnut, there are a few things I like more than cars.
Supermodels, well, maybe just pictures of'
Old superbikes
Hammocks
Beer
My cat Cody
My sea kayak

My first car was a donated 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook 4 door. I shoulda learned from that one. I was thirteen, it took two days and a few skinned knuckles to get it running. It ran for about five minutes and died, never to run again. My dad had it hauled away.

Bought a 56 Chevy 2 door hardtop from a cousin for $35, never drug it home. Every time I see one at the Barrett/ Jackson TV thing, I wonder???

At my age I'm Happy about woodies

Had one Camaro 70 307 automatic, looked nice. Real dog.

I like 16,17,18" wheels on some cars as long as the tires are sized appropriately. Nothing rides worse than electrical tape wrapped around an aluminum rim.

Sports cars, Sprite, Austin Healy 100/6, 356SC Porsche, BMW 2002, BMW M635, faux 427 Cobra and..., good old Ugbugly, I really miss that car.

Currently own; two cars, 67 VW bug, in a basket, 98 Eldorado needs head gaskets... six trucks, 84 Chevy LWB daily driver, 68 Stepside hotrod, 84 Blazer cash cow (I hope) 89 Ford Ranger cash cow & 2 basket case 55 Chevys... three motorcycles, all Honda CB750s...two boats, one I/O Trihull and one human powered (underpowered?) sea kayak.

Carnut? maybe. Just plain nuts definately. I'd give up one nut to take a few laps in a Formula one car.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

EMSjunkie

!st car  1963 Mercury Monterey 4-door.  big * 'ole boat, but lotsa back seat room 8)

never owned a tri-5
owned 1 Camaro. 1976 Berlinetta. wound up as a dirt track stock car.
owned 1 big block chevy, 1974 Monte Carlo
Dad was a Ford man, grew up around them.
woodies don't really do anything for me.
WWW's look good on certain vehicles, just like big rims. personally, I will never own either.
have always wanted a T-bucket since I was a boy, finally going to build one. :D
I like the older stuff, 20's 30's 40's
two tone paint is OK, on certain vehicles, I have never owned that certain vehicle.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

GPster

I think the wood work in a "Woody" is like fine furniture and I'm afraid they should be treated the same. The first car I got to drive was a wagon, a '59 Rambler. It was the family car and when I got my license my father gave me the keys and said "Now you can drive your mother wherever she wants to go". A sports car might be all right on a race track but in traffic I'd rather be somewhere other than "eye-to-eye" with somebody's headlights. I do like the early Corvettes but when they put dual headlight on them in '58 they ruined the body style. As for my feeling about the newer vettes refer to the sports car answer. Never owned a Camaro but I had a '69 Nova with the exhaust system that I pulled of a "Totaled" Camaro. Of course that Nova also ended up with that motor out of a '74 Vette. I guess the newer Vettes make decent donor cars. On T-birds' they're OK to look at but the '55s still had the 6V negative ground. If you owned one you didn't drive it every day to show it off. If you let it set 3 days it wouldn't start. While we're talking about '55s I've never owned (or wanted to) a tri5 Chevy.I did have a '57 Plymouth convertible with a 392 "Hemi"  but as far as that year range goes I'd more like to have a "plain jane" '57 Ford like the one in "Thunder Road" I don't like large diameter wheels with "O" ring tires. The height of the sidewalls on tires adds some cushion to stiff suspension. And I'm not a big fan of whitewalls, no matter what the width. I'm also not a fan of Red wheels. The wheels can be the same color as the tires (black) and as far as hubcaps/wheels I like something simple like "Baby Moons". Not only are they simple but they aren't "over-done" and they do add the practical use of keeping the lug nuts from rusting to their threads. Although the use of them hides the fact that your lug nuts are loose but they will catch the lug nuts when the wheel departs from it's axel. I am a fan of seeing tires/wheels but they don't have to be showy. Consiquently I'm not a fan of "Fender Skirts" or the lowered look with tires buried in the body. I do like the look of the rear fender opening on the tri5 Nomads. Of course where it makes sense (and not on '48 to '55 Chevy trucks) I do like "fenderless". I mosty like thinking about or working on a play thing vehicle. I don't enjoy any competition about who's best or who spent more money. GPster

UGLY OLDS

My turn I guess....... :?

I'm with Jbird on woodies...

Worked on sportscars until I learned why Lucas was called "the Prince of Darkness" ..Took about a week..Never touched another....

I was given a '57 Chevy once ..Gave it away that afternoon...Does that count??

Never owned a Camaro..Beat lots of them with some "cobbled Fords" on the street though...

My Gran Marquis has 16" wheels ..Enough is enough....

Three colors look great in traditional flames..No place else...

An Austin?? See my sports car remark..

Red wheels & WWW? ...Ah...No...

I almost rolled a restored '57 Bird on the highway...Not Mine .. :shock:  An "interesting adventure " to be sure..Same owner had a '60 Corvette.. 283 with Dual Quad's....Useless car....

Hudson, Packard, Nash, and Studebaker..I couldn't agree more...Packard was a fine automobile...Until the last year....

Frank complemented me on my Olds in Indy this summer...'Nuff said.. (Took three days for my hat to fit again...  8) :wink:  )

REAL old cars had running boards...The rest were just stuff we worked on..

RESTORE an 80's car???  Jeez...I still DRIVE them :!:  :!:

There..I probably offended EVERYBODY at least once ...( My record is secure.. :wink: )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

woodies... I can appreciate the craftsmanship &attention to detail but would never own one .                                                                  sunbeam alpine'70 ...cute car but lesson learned!                                 black,57 chev more door ,sold, but son of 4yrs old at the time will never forgive me!                                                                                     have never owned a camaro,the only ones I ever thought were inspirational had SS/ (pick a letter) decals in the WINDOWS               there are few cars that look good with big rims. I still love PRO STREET(shove some RUBBER in those wheelwells)                                        WWW & red wheels ,ok but I prefer cream ,greyw/red pinstripe,or apple green all on blackwalls with baby moons                                        maybe Im crazy but I would like to see a little splash of metalflake  as an accent (not a complete car) now and then.                                           hudson nash packard studebaker Iwill probably never own one but they all make you stop and look. I worked on a 56 nash metro with a friend ,it was to be a mazda turbo rotary 5 speed car ,never got done ,too bad!sloppy craftsmanship .... as a machinist i have to ask how picky do you want to be ? do your best ,try to learn some things and improve your skills with each project . be safe and enjoy yourself.                            old cars have round headlights(except the new cars with round headlights)the old cars i like best have buckets for the headlights. as a matter of understanding ones perspective on things,yes ,cars older than you are old cars.I feel sorry for anyone who wants to restore an 80's car, PERIOD!