Exhaust Advice

Started by msuguydon, December 11, 2007, 02:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Alrighty, hopefully this will be a little less contentious than the tire question.

I am investigating putting dumb tubes (small stubs) in the fenderwells of the 58. So I go to the local exhaust shop that was recommended by a friend.  I take pictures of the 58 and explain what I want done.  He say no problem but he would prefer if I bought the y-pipes and dumb tubes so he does not have to fab them.

SO I go on-line, no problem finding dumb tubes in stainless or chrome.  But all of the Y-pipes I find are all ready set-up with a flange and they seem to be racing style.

Should I be looking for another exhaust guy or am I looking for something that just does not exist?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "msuguydon"Alrighty, hopefully this will be a little less contentious than the tire question.

I am investigating putting dumb tubes (small stubs) in the fenderwells of the 58. So I go to the local exhaust shop that was recommended by a friend.  I take pictures of the 58 and explain what I want done.  He say no problem but he would prefer if I bought the y-pipes and dumb tubes so he does not have to fab them.

SO I go on-line, no problem finding dumb tubes in stainless or chrome.  But all of the Y-pipes I find are all ready set-up with a flange and they seem to be racing style.

Should I be looking for another exhaust guy or am I looking for something that just does not exist?

No help from TX :oops:
I'm not familiar with "dumb tubes"
are you referring to "dumps" or "cutouts" :?:

the Team requires a little more info :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

48ford

You could buy the electric ones and open them from the drivers seat with a flick of the switch. There not cheap but there a lot more fun,get good ones and they will not leak.
good luck Russ

msuguydon

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "msuguydon"Alrighty, hopefully this will be a little less contentious than the tire question.

I want cutouts, with a little mooneyes logo on the end the closes the cutout pipe, but I want them to extend into the fenderwell...

Vance

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

I want cutouts, with a little mooneyes logo on the end the closes the cutout pipe, but I want them to extend into the fenderwell...

Vance

Clear as mud now :lol:

I have always wanted to do that myself.
I know www.speedwaymotors.com has them, so does www.summitracing.com
as far as the little "mooneyes" logo, yer on yer own :wink:

happy hunting

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=QTP%2D535103&N=700+%2D146799+115&autoview=sku

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/4613,281_Electric-Exhaust-Cutouts.html

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

msuguydon

NO, NO, NO..... I do not want electric cutouts..... I will not eat green eggs and ham, I will not eat them Sam I am....

Maybe I am trying to over think this... Not a team smart trait...   :lol:  :shock:

Want I want is this... with the one end longer... so it will extended into the fender well....

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "msuguydon"NO, NO, NO..... I do not want electric cutouts..... I will not eat green eggs and ham, I will not eat them Sam I am....

Maybe I am trying to over think this... Not a team smart trait...   :lol:  :shock:

Want I want is this... with the one end longer... so it will extended into the fender well....

then why didn't ya say so :!:  :roll:  :roll:

We need to review that application to the Team :idea:

try J.C. Whitney.
they might have what yer lookin' fer :-o
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006307/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2006307/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=cut+out

Holy crap Batman............. :wink:
yer killin' me Smalls, killin' me :!:  :lol:  :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

donsrods

Being an old guy, I grew up with what I think you are trying to explain here. There were several variations of these.  During the early muscle car era people would put a T sort of affair into their existing exhaust system with an extension and cap affair that ended up in the front wheelwell , right behind the tire.  The idea was, on a Saturday night when you were street racing, you could uncork these caps and have a freer flowing exhaust system.  The results were more for psyching (sp) out the competition than actual HP gains, but they did look racey.

A variation of this was welding about 2 inch water pipe with a cap one the end to effect the same results.  I had this on my '64 Impala, and would unplug them when I wanted to race or act cool at the hamburger joints. Some guys welded gas tank fill tubes to the pipes and used a non venting gas cap as the removable cap.

Another variety is the lakes pipes you see going down the rocker of cars like '50 Fords and the like.  These could be uncapped too, but usually were there just to look custom.

I would just buy some of the chromed pieces that are simply about an 18 inch lengh of exhaust tubing with the familiar Moon logo'd oval cap on the end and have your exhaust guy holesaw a hole into the existing pipe in that area and weld or braze the new pipe to it in a T arrangement.  You can cut the new pipe so that it ends up just peeking out from the wheelwell.

But you will get very marginal HP gains if any.  Headers are much more efficient by a long shot.  These do lend a old time coolness to the car though.

Don

donsrods

Here, I found these dump tubes on Speedways site.

Don

msuguydon

Quote from: "donsrods"Being an old guy, I grew up with what I think you are trying to explain here. There were several variations of these.  During the early muscle car era people would put a T sort of affair into their existing exhaust system with an extension and cap affair that ended up in the front wheelwell , right behind the tire.  The idea was, on a Saturday night when you were street racing, you could uncork these caps and have a freer flowing exhaust system.  The results were more for psyching (sp) out the competition than actual HP gains, but they did look racey.

I would just buy some of the chromed pieces that are simply about an 18 inch lengh of exhaust tubing with the familiar Moon logo'd oval cap on the end and have your exhaust guy holesaw a hole into the existing pipe in that area and weld or braze the new pipe to it in a T arrangement.  You can cut the new pipe so that it ends up just peeking out from the wheelwell.

But you will get very marginal HP gains if any.  Headers are much more efficient by a long shot.  These do lend a old time coolness to the car though.

Don

DON YOU ARE THE MAN.. YOU GET IT!!!!  I love you man!!

Not after Horsepower gain, after effect and cool factor.  That was the premise of my question... "Should I get another exhaust guy... I do not want clunky looking values ect. I want a clean welded y from the existing pipe.. Short chrome (shiny) extension into the fender well.  Mooneyes end cap..

I take the cap off, CAR GETS LOUD!!!  I feel like a rebel!!! put CAP back on... 4 door family guy...

Dave

Ok enuff.. I dont check in for a few days and you guys wanna know if im still in florida (id like to be) or if im alive (maybe i misspoke there as some people wouldnt care) and you guys cant find your butts with both hands.. Ill tell ya what I remember bout dumps from the old times living in dexter michigan.. I saw some of the ones that donsrods posted about but if you want creativity and old school the cool ones I remembered were made outta 2 inch black pipe and even had the screw on caps for black pipe. My neighbor had these on a 63 or 64 chevy i think it was and he may have even had em on his 67 camaro rs/ss.. Want loud just get the pipe wrench and take the cap off.. How simple and effective.. As far as wide whites , leave the black walls on the 58 cause the wide whites will make it look like a clown car  :lol: . Tel Bill no problem he is winning I spent last weekend pretty much detailing my Harley ..
Carry on.......
Geeeeeeeze
Dave :wink:
ps: tell big brother he can watch all he wants..

GPster

I certainly don't have one here ('58 Chevy) in front of me but I seem to remember some strange connections need to be made to do this on '58 to '64 chevys because of their strange frame shape. Something like that "Y" I don't think will work because the "dump" pipe needs to extend straight instead of making the bend that brings the pipes back underneath the car on the outside of the "X" frame shape. My experience with something like these is that the "Dump" caps  are left exposed for effect even if the caps are left on. The effect is marred if they are not placed correctly and not in the same location relative to the wheel well openings on each side. I think that if they are not at least fit and tacked to the pipes while they are on the car that you will be disappointed. You might have some luck in finding what you want looking at a place that sells "Lake Pipes". The old "Custom" ones. Not the ones for Bonneville look a likes. GPster

msuguydon

Well I do not know when to leave enough alone....  

SO here are the pictures..... from my novice point of view... adding shiny tubes with a mooneyes thingy on the end.. seems pretty straight forward.. but as always... I am new to the game...  

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "msuguydon"
DON YOU ARE THE MAN.. YOU GET IT!!!!  I love you man!!

Get a room :!:  :roll:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders