Tools

Started by dirt t, December 10, 2007, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt t

Looking for websights for tools to narrow ford 9" rearends
Thank you
dirt t

Bugpac

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

dirt t

Thats what I am looking for. also want to boy an assembly jig for the housing
Thanks
dirt t

Bugpac

Im getting ready to do the same thing myself...

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't think Moser sells the tools to narrow housings. Their business is housings.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Google rear end narrowing tools.

Google is your friend.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Bugpac

They can respline the shafts tho... :D

dirt t

Where are the located ? I noticed thet they listed eastern time zone.
dirt t

Bugpac

Charlie Chops 1940

Leonard,

In general a lot of the OEM shafts neck down in size right behind the splines which limits how narrow they can go. Some that have enough meat are too soft. At the end of the day buying new axles is often the best or only alternative.

That's not to say there aren't axle shafts out there that can be narrowed though. Lots of times narrowing the long side to take a short side shaft is a good alternative too.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "dirt t"Where are the located ? I noticed thet they listed eastern time zone.
dirt t

Not picking on ya, but look for the "contact us" part of web sites. Granted, not all web sites tell all they could.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Bugpac

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Leonard,

In general a lot of the OEM shafts neck down in size right behind the splines which limits how narrow they can go. Some that have enough meat are too soft. At the end of the day buying new axles is often the best or only alternative.

That's not to say there aren't axle shafts out there that can be narrowed though. Lots of times narrowing the long side to take a short side shaft is a good alternative too.

Charlie

Ya, I have been shopping prices on housing with axles, Its almost not feasible to even narrow one at all....If i have to buy new axles, as i would likely just narrow a few inches if i did, I think a new housing would probbaly be better for me...

Bugpac

If i can find some more of them bronco axles ill be good to go, I think...Well see how these ones work out width wise, they looked good on Deuces' car...

donsrods

BTW, we will be having two brand new Moser 31 spline axles for sale in the near future.  My Son had a 9 inch rear made up for his '29 and ordered the Mosers with it.  Now he is going to have new ones made with a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern so he can run 16 inch artillery wheels all around.  He will be taking a hit on the axles he has, and I think the bolt pattern is Chevy.  The housing width is something like 56 drum to drum.

I'll get more details and post them because someone can score a good deal on these never used ones. They are setup for big bearing housings.

Don

Bib_Overalls

I scored two 31 spline axles with the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern off a pickup in a salvage yard. They are rare and I was real proud of myself.

Sent them to Moser to be narrowed to fit my Curey housing.

Turns out they could respline one.  But the other was to short and I needed one custom axle.

After shipping the axles to them, and paying for everything I may have saved 50-60 bucks.  And I am still running one used axle.  Next time I am going to get out my MasterCard,  pick up the phone and tell them what I want and where I live.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks