Another Fine Mess

Started by midnight sun, December 01, 2007, 07:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "midnight sun".......................  Initially Im going to push for actually jacking the whole structure and have them tear out the entire floor, muck out the mud, backfill with pit run gravel and then rebar and repour it.  I know its gonna be a fight and Im not even sure you can raise a building thats slab on grade but I guess Ill find out.  If not then Ill go with the option you mentioned.  Tear out the existing floor as much as possible and repour.  The last thing I want, as you mentioned is a wavy floor.  I want it like it was before the damage.  Level and Smooth.

Thanks for the input.

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I would think the building could be jacked up, but not easy.  One thing is that the sill plates on the bottoms of the wall studs are going to be bolted to the slab, at least they are suppose to be.  So to locate those the wall at the bottom would have to be cut into on the inside or outside to get to those nuts.  Then the question is could they somehow lift the building so that you aren't doing more damage to it, the interior walls, all the nailed joints, etc..  Personally I don't think I would go that route.  It might haunt you down the road.

The floor could be cut with a concrete saw near the walls and then taken out and use the gravel fill like you mentioned.  That is the approach I would take as long as someone other than me was getting the concrete out.

I feel for you and hope this gets taken care of in a timely manner.  While you can't get anything done come on down for a visit.  I have a couple spare beds,

Sum

1934buick

Quote from: midnight sun

Next Year I will come out and help you drain the line and make sure that this is your last problem with your swamp cooler.  Sorry to hear about your problem.   :cry:

Bugpac

I think my only option would be to have the floor replaced in its entirety, if it meant to rebuild the structure as well, You are gonna have a fight, but i think if the ins is gonna pay, make them do it right...Some house jackers could move anything!!

I keep forgetting, you guys in the south dont have no sand...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****