Lack of progress

Started by 48builder, November 27, 2007, 10:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I was just reading the posts about all the progress some of you guys are making. I feel like I am doing just the opposite. Lately it seems like I am getting further behind.

I got a press to do my control arm bushings. Got the lower bushings and ball joints in fine. Started on the upper arms and mangled the first bushing. Ordered a new one and when it comes in I will take them somewhere to get them done.

I mounted my proportioning valve on the frame where I thought it would work and then started to bend up the brake lines. Seems like my lines need to go right where my steering column needs to be. Luckily I noticed before I got too far into it. Now I think I'll mount the valve on the inner fender panel which will also keep things away from the exhaust manifold.

Before I can mount the valve, I need to put the fenders and inner panels back on the car and try to get them lined up without the doors on the car. I suppose I better put at least one door on so I can line the fender up with the fender extension on the door.

I bought the g-body frame spec chart that Wayne suggested. Seems I need to move my upper control arm mounts about 3/4" out. So I took off the ram from my engine hoist, but it won't work on its side. Now I'll try to round up a porta-power unit to use.

Isn't anything ever going to be easy?

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

Maybe. But you haven't reached that point yet. If this is your first build, be prepared for many obstacles. Enjoy the journey.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteIsn't anything ever going to be easy?

That's one of the rules. :shock:If it will come right off, the bolts are frozen. If you only have just enough parts, one will break, and the replacement will be different. The only thing that is easy, is breaking new parts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I am finishing the building of a 38 Chevy for a customer.  It has been parked in my shop for about 6 months now.  I actually have not worked on it a lot but it has been in my way a long time.  Seems like a lot of things have went wrong or I had trouble finding simple parts I needed.  Lately I have taken the attitude that I will not let the problems upset me.  I just start working on something else and then come back to the first project when I am ready.  If you keep going and making even slow progress, it will all come together eventually.  If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Hmmmm, seems like I've heard this story before. The really bad part is that we aren't being paid the big bucks to make things difficult to take apart and reassemble.

I think we are all in good and sympathetic company here, Hang in there, it'll get better.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

48builder

Quote from: "kb426"Maybe. But you haven't reached that point yet. If this is your first build, be prepared for many obstacles. Enjoy the journey.

No, not my first build, but by far my most extensive and frustrating. I really want to drive this thing next year, and I find my self falling further and further behind my aggressive schedule for reaching that goal.

My wife keeps reminding me that if it was easy anybody could do it.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

58 Yeoman

At least you're working on yours.  I haven't worked on mine in about 2 years.  But, now that the kitchen and other household major projects are done, I'll get to start working on the bodyof the '41.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

48builder

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"At least you're working on yours.  I haven't worked on mine in about 2 years.  But, now that the kitchen and other household major projects are done, I'll get to start working on the bodyof the '41.

HAHA. Working, yes. But it has been 10.5 years so far. Another reason I want to get it done is so I can start on my kitchen!
'39 Chevy driver

rumrumm

Whenever I felt like throwing a wrench, I'd quit work, go in the house, drink a beer or two, and mellow out. It seemed like the next couple of days break from working on the car gave me the desire to work on it again, and usually I was able to come up with a solution to the problem. Works for me!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"At least you're working on yours.  I haven't worked on mine in about 2 years.  But, now that the kitchen and other household major projects are done, I'll get to start working on the bodyof the '41.

HAHA. Working, yes. But it has been 10.5 years so far. Another reason I want to get it done is so I can start on my kitchen!

Well, it's been about 8 years since I bought mine, so I'm not too far behind you.  But, it sure is nice having the kitchen done. :wink:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

Guys I cant even envision working on a car that long..   its just not me.. You guys got something ill never have .. I get one in front of me and its just gotta be finished..
Dave :arrow:

UGLY OLDS

I've been doing my model A for so long that "trends" have come & gone & come back again...My chrome hairpins were the hot set-up when I started...Then came 4-bars...Guess whats back??  Guys are doing "Resto-Rods" again...HA  :!:  I got all my stuff ready...From LAST time...Now..Where did I put that 8-track... :shock:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

WZ JUNK

I have been working on a 54 Chevy for my wife 5 years now.  She is starting to get a little upset.  I bought the car just before we went to Bonneville in 2002.  The drivetrain is done.  The whole bottom of the car is done and the body has been blasted and primed.  I need to get back to it soon.   I really want to redo my old chopped top pickup next.  I built it years ago and after I got it running, I never went back to finish it.  The current car I am building is the last complete car I am going to build for someone else.  I may do some wiring jobs or small jobs but I want to work on my own stuff and Hooleys gasser and the Bonneville car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

48builder

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS".Now..Where did I put that 8-track... :shock:

About 20-some years ago I made my wife throw out her 8-track player and tapes. She has never forgiven me for that. She thinks they would be worth something now. HA! Old BJ Thomas 8-tracks will never be worth anything..... I hope.
'39 Chevy driver

river1

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS".Now..Where did I put that 8-track... :shock:

About 20-some years ago I made my wife throw out her 8-track player and tapes. She has never forgiven me for that. She thinks they would be worth something now. HA! Old BJ Thomas 8-tracks will never be worth anything..... I hope.

i have a friend that still has 8-tracks AND a WORKING player :shock:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.