Valve stem in tire

Started by Learpilot, November 14, 2007, 10:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

About three months ago I got new tries for my daily driver. Around town everything is fine , but when I got on the Interstate I had a funny vibration.
It would come and go. I first thought it was a wheel bearing. I knew it was not bad,but I don't want any strange vibrations. I went back to the tire dealer to get it looked at. They said it was not time to rotate the tires yet but would look at the left front tire. They got it up on the rack and spun the tire and there was something in the tire making noise. They took it off the car and unmounted the tire and found a old valve stem. That seemed to take care of the problem for a while and on the way home I got a rattling noise. When I got home I found 3 lug nuts loose. It pays to check after people that work on your car. That is the reason I like to do all the work on my Street Rod.
Thanks,
Rick Harris

58 Yeoman

Sounds like you need a new tire dealer.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Charlie Chops 1940

I would definitely let the manager know about the loose lug nut thing. He has a loose cannon in his shop and needs to fix it. He owes you big!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

38HAULR

On a similar vein, I had a 1935Ford Coupe  283 Chev powered. The day I got the vehicle registered  1973,I lost the front left wheel ,luckily I veered off to the side of the road,approaching a bridge,only damage being scraped brake drum,the wheel that bounced off into the scrub, was retrieved nuts floating around in hubcap. You cannot even trust the Roadworthy Testers. Had I travelled another 30 odd metres I would have been in real trouble. The bridge is narrow......Frank.

Dave

Ya id call the manager too. You should have called him and made them come out and tighten the lugs.. They are liable and they should have been tight..  
Ask him how much a service call would be and tell him your gonna drop by and pick up the check........ 8)  8)
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

RottenRodney

Arr!  It's been a while or two back; but once upon a time I stopped by Sears for somethin' or other -- I don't remember and it isn't very important anyway, but I used to like to park the 'Rust Rocket' by the Tire Center.  I went in and got out fine, but on the road I kept hearin' a funny "sst sst sst" sound.  Upon further investigation, I noticed a valve stem stuck smack-dab in the middle of my tread!  I limped 'er on back into Sears (where I figgered I'd picked it up) and had a young guy fix it.  It only took a few minutes, but while I was waitin', I did have enough time to walk about the parkin' lot -- I returned to pay my bill with two hands-full of valve stems.  SOMEBODY employed there likes to toss 'em out into the parkin' lot instead of a more standard method of disposal.  

Long story abbreviated: "No charge" and fortunately the lug-nuts stayed tight.  

Wish I had a pitcher of it though.  Ya could push the button and release air right out of the tread.