Summit Racing 8 inch Ford differential gears

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 10, 2007, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I need some 8 inch Ford gears.  3.50 gear ratio area.

Summit has their line of gears and  :shock:  they are listed at the lower price than say a brand name  gear set.  These may be Chinese gears

Any yay or ney on the Summit gears ??
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"I need some 8 inch Ford gears.  3.50 gear ratio area.

Summit has their line of gears and  :shock:  they are listed at the lower price than say a brand name  gear set.  These may be Chinese gears

Any yay or ney on the Summit gears ??

i'd send them an Email on the country of origin. i've had responses from all the companies that i have sent emails to about it. only one grinder company that i can't remember right now was evasive in their answer. they said we make them in a lot of countries but not china. well i replied that she should check on that because the grinder i looked at from home depot said made in china on it.

if they are chinese i wouldn't use them, but you knew i'd say that, do it once do it right.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Depends. even it's Chinese, it should be fine for a race car. They normally used softer gears to stand more shock without breaking. Longevity on a street car may be lacking.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

5 years ago, I bought a set from Randy's ring and pinion. At that time, he told me that the company was in India and had bought up one of the manufactures' old tooling when they went cnc. They looked just like any other gear set with no pinion markings. If you know how to set depth and backlash, they'll work fine. I had no complaints and they were $90 then.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Randys R&P site lists a USA Standard  r&p at $257.00 for a 3.25 gear ratio or the Ford 8 inch.  The site also mentions these gears are not for quiet running cars....

A Richmond gear set is $247.0 for a 3.55 gear set from Randys site.

A set of Yukon 3.50 gears for a Ford 9 Inch is listed at $207.00.. Lots more gear sets for the 9 inch which is under stand able.

The metal listed is all 8620

Seems to be brands;

US Gear

USA Standard

Yukon Gear

Richmond

8)
Tony

Uncle Bob

Yukon is under the same umbrella as Randy's, it's his house brand that he distributes to a dealer network.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Is it possible these brands are all from off shore manufacturers?

8)
Tony

kb426

TEAM SMART

Ohio Blue Tip

You might want to check e-bay stores,  Last year I bought a 9" Ford pig with 31 spline, 3.25, posi to my door for under $500, with a year guarantee.  Still fine at 24,000 miles.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

sirstude

The issue in my experience is the 8" rear.  Gears in the mid 3.xx are really hard to come by, so the price goes up.  9" gears in that range are cheap by comparison.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

tomslik

i usta find 3.50 gears under 6cyl MII's....if THAT helps.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

2rods

enjenjo

Quote from: "2rods"I think they were only 3.40 in the V6's.

Factory ratios on 8" gears were 2.79. 3.00, 3.23, 3.40, 3.55, and 3.80 there are other aftermarket ratios available.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Learpilot

I just installed a set of Summit 3.55 gears in a 8" ford. I don't where they were made ,but the quality looks good to me. I have about 250 miles on them so far. A-OK no noise.  I also installed new bearing. I got a Richmond installation kit. It came with great instructions. This is the first rear end gears I have set-up. It was easy,and I used the same shim that was in the third member. I keep missing the right pattern with the new shims. So I tried the shim that came with the third member and the pattern was text book.
Rick Harris

Choptop

I bought a complete 8" rear end w/ fomoco 3:55 that came out of a Mach1 Mustang.
Do not spoil what you have, by desiring what you
have not.
Remember, what you have now was once among
the things you only hoped for !