Who owns who (revisited)

Started by ripper, May 21, 2004, 07:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ripper

Hey y'all...about 3 years ago I posted a topic "who owns who" below is the text that it generated. Just wondering what's changed in the meantime especially as when it was written five firms controllled 50% of the global markets, in aerospace, in electronic components, automobiles, airlines, electronics and steel. Five controlled 70 % in consumer durables, five controlled 40 % in oil, personal computers and media. Fifty-one % of the largest economies in the world then were corporations not countries. Canada was number eight.  Australia was between 10 and 15, but Walmart was definitely number 12. Funny world.

Anyway the "who owns who" of automobile companies text was...

>Ford

Owns Jaguar, Volvo, Most of Mazda, I think they own Kia too, but may be mistaken.

>Jaguar
>Mercedes Benz
>BMW privately owned

Owns Rolls Royce, the name, just sold Rover

>Rolls Royce
>Bentley

Owned by VW, along with the assets of Rolls Royce, except the name.

>Daimler

Owns Mercedes Benz, Chrysler, Freightliner, FWD, LaFrance, Sterling(Ford heavy duty trucks), Western Star, Detroit Diesel.

>Chrysler

Volvo, No longer owns the Volvo car, But owns Volvo trucks,GMC heavy trucks, Mack, Renault trucks, White trucks, Autocar trucks, and part of Iveco trucks

GM owns Saab, Isuzu, and has joint ventures with Toyota, and Suzuki. Also owns one of the Korean manufacturers.

Hundai trucks are sold in the US under the name Bering.

FIAT owns Ferarri, most of Iveco trucks, Lambogini

There is more, but that's all I remember.

I can't add much, but:
Peugeot bought Citroën in 1975, now known as PSA.
Renault has 38% of Nissan and has become the principal shareholder of the new Volvo Global Trucks unit, 2 Jan, 2001, and lays claim to the title of number 6 in global marketshare. And they do not sell Renault automobiles to the largest market in the world!

Any changes updates?
Cheers
ripper
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

oiler

GM owns Daewoo now.
That is so they can offer quality Chevrelots like the Aveo, Epica and Optra :oops:

Dolly

Daimler Chrysler are doing their best as major shareholder to send Mitsubishi Motors to the wall so they can takeover the company without investing any more money or buying any more shares.

Toyota is the world's number 2 car maker behind General Motors and ahead of Ford and Daimler Chrysler.  Toyota has not 'taken over' any car companies since the late 1950s, however it does control Daihatsu, Hino and most recently (14 years ago) created Lexus in order to beat the European luxury brands at their own game.

More recently Toyota created the Scion brand, to encourage more younger buyers to their products.
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

GaryR

Quote from: "ripper"
>Ford

Owns Jaguar, Volvo, Most of Mazda, I think they own Kia too, but may be mistaken.

Ford also owns Aston Martin and Land Rover.

Gary
Some day, maybe I\'ll think of something witty, \'til then, this is the best I could do!