Rough Asphalt

Started by Learpilot, October 22, 2007, 07:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

They are repaving the Interstates around here. The asphalt has a rough surface. The thing that I have noticed is when it rains the spray from the 18 wheelers is a lot less and the visibility is better. Was that engineered that way or just poor asphalt ?

Thanks, Rick Harris.

enjenjo

It's engineered in. They use the rough surface here to help keep the surface from getting slick with ice in cold weather.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

crushed rock larger than 3/4" in the asphalt means it will laast for years under heavy loads...   the sharp corners of the crushed stone lock together and support the loads with out pushing apart. the tar locks everything in place and waterproofs it.

out here in southern california the asphalt is recycled.  they take the crumbs that are ground off the old pavment and heat it and add a bit of tar and put it back down...    it looks great.. except when busses or trucks drive over it again and again. this causes ruts and ridges as the small crumbs do not lock together and the tar gets soft in the heat.

i wish there was something i could do about it.. but the heads know what they are doing...  keeping them selfs employeed.. and buzy..

oh yea... the pavement that was in front of my house here in hollywood was first done around 1915.  it lasted until 2001.. and the top cover is  asphalt was only 2 inches thick.. the base was properly compacted. sunset blvd a block away gets repaved every 5 to 7 years...

the fine mix also has another problem.  the heating and contraction causes the material to crack.. this allows rain and overflow water to get between teh base and the topping.. when cars and truck run over this the hydraulic pressure pop the topping off and pot holes result...

cal trans out here on the freeways has found out that asphalt paving over the concrete slabs does not work for the long term. so they have started and are almost finished grinding a quarter inch off the surface of the existing slabs.. the machine they used must have a huge motor.  sounds like it at least... a 24 inch stack of diamond blades grinding away with a gas tanker  sized water truck supplying water via a hose dragged along to cool the blades...