What to do with old car magazines

Started by junkyardjeff, October 20, 2007, 07:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have all kinds of magazines from the 70s on up that I would like to get rid of,they are taking up room and since I am computer literate I dont think I will need them anymore.  Jeff

OldSub

What ever you do, don't toss the out!  Someone wants them.

You might sell them on eBay.  I've found that a good way to find issues I wanted is to watch for them there.

I've also paid people to ship me boxes of magazines like yours a few times.  I'm not looking for more right now, but someone must be.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Flipper

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I have all kinds of magazines from the 70s on up that I would like to get rid of,they are taking up room and since I am computer literate I dont think I will need them anymore.  Jeff

What titles?  I might be interested in adopting them?

Bob K

I just took about 10 computer paper boxes full of magazines, Hot Rod, Street Rodder and such and gave them to what I think is a worthy and worthwhile place.

I gave 5 boxes to the local nursing home and have already received 2 letters from the gratfull (mostly male0 residents.

I gave the other 5 boxes to the local VA rep and he is going to take them to the VA hospital in Iron Mountian MI. next week.

The next batch will go to the VA Hospital in Wood WI.

The VA rep seemed really pleased that I had thought of giving them up. He said that the guys really like car magazines.

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

msuguydon

Quote from: "Bob K"I just took about 10 computer paper boxes full of magazines, Hot Rod, Street Rodder and such and gave them to what I think is a worthy and worthwhile place.

I gave 5 boxes to the local nursing home and have already received 2 letters from the gratfull (mostly male0 residents.

I gave the other 5 boxes to the local VA rep and he is going to take them to the VA hospital in Iron Mountian MI. next week.

The next batch will go to the VA Hospital in Wood WI.

The VA rep seemed really pleased that I had thought of giving them up. He said that the guys really like car magazines.

B 8) B

Great IDEA  );b(

Along those same lines... our car club was approached by a local nursing home, mainly male residents to do a cruise-in.  They wanted us to show up for an hour or two so the resident could check out our cars, give them something to do.  

I got really upset  :twisted:  when several of the club members started himmming and hawing and wanted to know if the facility was gonna give them dash plaques, or something to show up... still mad about this one :(D)

We are still fighting this issue... will not be in the club much longer...
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

phat rat

So they are dash plaque whores instead of throphy whores. Hard to believe someone would be so %$#@
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Eliot Ness

Quote from: "msuguydon"........Along those same lines... our car club was approached by a local nursing home, mainly male residents to do a cruise-in.  They wanted us to show up for an hour or two so the resident could check out our cars, give them something to do...........
That's a great idea, sorry more members in your club aren't more receptive to the idea.  

Although the more cars that show up the better, in reality just a few would most likely tickle them to death and might break the ice for more members to show up at a later date..... maybe making that an annual club activity.

I also liked the idea of donating the old magazines that Bob K suggested.
John

Crosley.In.AZ

I had one of those fine budget particle board shelves give it up under the weight... the mags hit the dumpster.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Scrap Fe

I donate mine to the local high school vocational automotive class.  I've had a couple of students come over to see my project.

Ya gotta pass the torch.

enjenjo

I used to put on a cars show for a local nursing home.The resident sure did appreciate it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Since I drive a school bus, I give a lot of them away to kids on the bus.  Every couple of months I give away a stack of Good Guys and Street Scene to the kids.  They usually like to look at the pictures.  If you give out other magazines, use good sense and edit them before you give them to a kid.  Some title are not suitable to give to a younger reader.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

the web master  that operates the gl1800riders.com web site has a Boss Hoss scooter..

A group of bike riders went to a local retirement home.  Some of the ladys wanted to ride  in the parking lot on the Boss Hoss and the other scoots.

One woman remarked:  " I have not spread my legs that far since my husband died"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

junkyardjeff

I have Hotrdod,Streetrodder,Rod action,Car craft and posiibly others.  If someone wants them come and get them,I have some from the 50s and 60s but those are staying.  Jeff

Pep

I recently came to the conclusion. All these magazines taking up room. I have never opened one up for years. I get most of my info off the net now. I offered all mine a month or so ago. A young rodder jumped at the offer. Glad he will get some enjoyment out of them. Keep his interest in rods.
See Ya
Pep

rumrumm

I had about 15 years worth of magazines. I wound up giving them to a friend of mine who thought he may be able to sell some at swap meets. It was worth it just to get them out of the garage.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com