First ride today.. Yup no plates no insurance :)

Started by Dave, October 13, 2007, 06:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

What fun i think.. I got the steering together (may need some more adjustment) and then i pulled it out for some pictures. Sue got home after meeting the kids in coldwater and brought my grand daughter  home.. I havent seen her since July  :cry: . Anyway we wnt and bought a new fridge and then I shot my bow and then (im getting long winded again aint I ?) I tuned my bow a little more put 3 arrows in the center of the target at 25 yards so i fired up the roadster and went down to the end of the street to see my buddy with the plymouth.. I couldnt imagine driving this POS with no top no winders and my eyes watering then I realized I dont have any glass in the windshield :oops:  The engine is smoking some still but it runs. Ill deal with that later.. I got to spiffy up the bike tomorrow and I just may hit the woods.
Heres some pics.....
Dave

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Your radiator shell is crooked too.

Charlie

I didnt even try to fool with it Charlie.. Too many other things to do  :lol:  :lol:  Thanks for bringing it up again though  8) .. I was lucky enuff to have time to get my bow out and shoot..  Hows yours comming ???
Dave :?:

kb426

I got my brake lines run today. Tomorrow is exhaust. I'm breathing down your neck. :lol:
TEAM SMART

Carps

No plates, no insurance just makes the first drve all the more fun and exciting.

Way to go Dave!
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: Charlie Chops 1940Your radiator shell is crooked too.

Looks like the headlights could use a touch of "brightner" too . Kinda dim...Ya think :?:  :?
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

petrolhead

Thats what it's all about isn't, you'll be talking about this for ages.
Regards
Petrolhead
"Dare to be different,No Cookie Cutter Car for Me"

chimp koose

looks good! I really like the front &rear tire sizes,you got the stance just right !

msuguydon

I think it would look better if it had 4 doors.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

dragrcr50

if youd quit chasing bambi around and buy your meat at a supermarket, *they have those there dont they)  you would  have more time to work on the roadster...  :idea:
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Dave

Thanks guys.. I hope this one works out like the other ones.. Ive got to finish the exhaust manifolds and get em coated or paint em and it needs the tail pipes made up yet too.  Im gonna wait on that a bit and prolly just start the body work . I really need a break and hitting the woods now that the weather has cooled off sounds good.  Ive got some plumbing work to do this afternoon as the new refridgerator will be here this morning and it needs water for the icemaker.  Gotta keep the wife happy too..
Dave

slocrow

Way to go Dave......................... :b-d:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

C9

QuoteDrgrcr50 "if youd quit chasing bambi around and buy your meat at a supermarket, *they have those there dont they) you would have more time to work on the roadster"

And money.... :lol:

My latest . . . ok . . . third from the latest.

The store bought stuff isn't too bad, but used 22's in this area are more than reasonable.

I like 22's and I'm not a collector, but when you spot an old Remington or Winchester for under a hundred bucks - way under sometimes - they talk to you.

You know, kinda like cars and tools . . . "me, me, I'm the one, take meee."
All this time I thought the song of the siren was a seafaring thing.... :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car is looking good.

Don't know if I mentioned it or not, but the 31 in the pic I sent has more legroom than the 32.
Plus, the 32 has a flat firewall and the 31 has a 4"recessed firewall.

I have a list of measurements of 29, 31 and 32 roadsters.
Different seats in all, but indicative of a typical hot rod in all cases.
I'll make a separate post in a few minutes.

Is the engine a junkyard special or a fresh build?
The rings probably need to loosen up or seat depending.

And if it's still smoking after a couple hundred miles, I sure you have just the thing to put it out of it's misery.... :P
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Dave

Quote from: "C9"
QuoteDrgrcr50 "if youd quit chasing bambi around and buy your meat at a supermarket, *they have those there dont they) you would have more time to work on the roadster"

And money.... :lol:

My latest . . . ok . . . third from the latest.

The store bought stuff isn't too bad, but used 22's in this area are more than reasonable.

I like 22's and I'm not a collector, but when you spot an old Remington or Winchester for under a hundred bucks - way under sometimes - they talk to you.

You know, kinda like cars and tools . . . "me, me, I'm the one, take meee."
All this time I thought the song of the siren was a seafaring thing.... :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car is looking good.

Don't know if I mentioned it or not, but the 31 in the pic I sent has more legroom than the 32.
Plus, the 32 has a flat firewall and the 31 has a 4"recessed firewall.

I have a list of measurements of 29, 31 and 32 roadsters.
Different seats in all, but indicative of a typical hot rod in all cases.
I'll make a separate post in a few minutes.

Is the engine a junkyard special or a fresh build?
The rings probably need to loosen up or seat depending.

And if it's still smoking after a couple hundred miles, I sure you have just the thing to put it out of it's misery.... :P

Jay its a used motor thats sat around for id bet at least 2 years. Its got great oil pressure but that dont mean anything. I got it for 400 bucks and it had a 600 edelbrock with electric choke on it so i figure that and the harmonic balancer and oil filter mount etc etc im not out anything if i decide to just buy a crate engine. Besides its a good set up engine too..
I only have a couple guns but i do have my step sons 20 gauge pump in the house also. I shoot a remmington 870 12 gauge pump with a scope for deer hunting and then when  im done with that or muzzle loader season opens for deer  then i have a traditions 45 caliber that i shoot with 100 grains of powder and a 200 grain sabot. I have a scope on it and its good to about  200 yards then i have to aim a little high :lol:  The winter before the heart attack was when I shot and killed 5 although i only got 4 :?:  Didnt know i had killed the last one for 3 days..  I love to hunt deer and i hunt for me then for a bunch of friends. They pay ne for the doe permits and  I do the hunting... The firat year i ever hunted we figured with all the stuff id bought my venison only cost about 45 bucks a pound..........
Dave 8)  :arrow:

C9

My pal likes to do the junkyard engine bit in his projects.
The last two - 350 & then a 327 with hot cam & Performer intake, plus MSD box were great runners.

Some years ago, Hot Rod Mechanix by Tex Smith ran an article about doing the same.
The guy who wrote the article had good luck with his junkyard specials as did his pals.

I keep looking at the junkyard engine in the 31 and thinking, the bearings look pretty good, timing chain doesn't have much play and there's virtually no ridge in the cylinder.
The small ridge bit seems to be common in the BBB's and I understand they have a higher chrome content in the block than some other engines of the era.

I could run that while I'm building a 'serious motor.'

The engine was buried deep within a big shed and had never been rained on.
I'm guessing it was in there for just over 20 years due to the engine's it was next to.

Took a bit of searching to find it, seems folks in Central California yank the carb and leave the hood open.
Local hot rod lore says don't buy an engine after the rainy season.
Most of em are froze up.

Out here in the Dez, most times the hood's are shut.
Kinda funny, not much rain, but when it does . . . sumbitch.

Usually not a worry until that Noah guy comes by on his big boat.

Y'all know not to be in a desert wash when rain is a possibility, be advised some of the city streets turn into rivers during heavy rains.

Takes about ten minutes to be roadster drowners....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes someone to ask about your scoped 12 gage....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.