Sway bar and steering score

Started by 48builder, October 13, 2007, 11:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Headed to the local U-pull-it yard today. Found an 80's Trans-AM. It had the biggest sway bar I have ever seen. Measures 1.4". I snagged it for $8. Not sure if I want one that big, but couldn't pass it up. I also grabbed the steering box from it. The door codes lists the FE0 suspension package. I would assume this car has the 12.7:1 close ratio-box. I don't know why they would put a huge honkin sway bar without it.  Cost for the box, $21 including the core charge.

I also grabbed a 1-1/4" sway bar from another car in case I decide the huge one is too big.

Of course, it wouldn't be a trip to the boneyard without losing some blood. I lost a nice piece of skin today. Lucky for me that chicks dig scars  :lol:

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

wayne petty

Quote from: "48builder"Headed to the local U-pull-it yard today. Found an 80's Trans-AM. It had the biggest sway bar I have ever seen. Measures 1.4". I snagged it for $8. Not sure if I want one that big, but couldn't pass it up. I also grabbed the steering box from it. The door codes lists the FE0 suspension package. I would assume this car has the 12.7:1 close ratio-box. I don't know why they would put a huge honkin sway bar without it.  Cost for the box, $21 including the core charge.

I also grabbed a 1-1/4" sway bar from another car in case I decide the huge one is too big.

Of course, it wouldn't be a trip to the boneyard without losing some blood. I lost a nice piece of skin today. Lucky for me that chicks dig scars  :lol:

Walt

good score...

the FEO shows as an active suspention front and rear..??

here is a clipping of FE? codes

FE0 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, FRT & RR, ACTIVE
FE1 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, SOFT RIDE
FE2 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, RIDE HANDLING
FE3 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, SPORT
FE5 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, RIDE l HANDLING ---- DELETE
FE7 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, FRT & RR HD, VAR 3
FE8 : RADIAL TUNED SUSPENSION
FE9 : CERTIFICATION, EMISSION, FEDERAL

and WS codes

WS4 : MODEL CONVERSION, TRANS AM
WS6 : PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, SPECIAL
WS9 : MODEL CONVERSION, FORMULA

tons more on this link,  including old ones.

http://stuart5.com/gm-rpo.html

might even be a good idea to print in multi  columns and lamanate a few pages for junk yarding id's.

48builder

Thanks for the link, Wayne. To check the steering box, I mounted the new and old one up to my frame and counted the number of times the input shaft turned while moving the pitman arm from lock to lock. My old box turned the shaft three times, while the new one only took 2.5 turns. Those are the figures that Hemmings Muscle Machine magazine reported. The article said the better boxes had A two letter code stamped on the end cap, but thiis has no code. The article also stated that all Camaros and Firebirds had the good box except for the FE1 and FE2 options. For $30, I think I'll see some handling gains. I decided to use the 1-1/4" bar and got it painted today.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

wayne petty

Quote from: "48builder"Thanks for the link, Wayne. . The article said the better boxes had A two letter code stamped on the end cap, but thiis has no code. The article also stated that all Camaros and Firebirds had the good box except for the FE1 and FE2 options. Walt

what month, year and story name is it ?????

there are a bunch of archives and my fingers are getting tired...

i guess i will have to open the hemming mail i get from now on...

when i worked for the car resto shop they payed extra for early delivery and bought 50-60 cad they could.  they had over 80 cars when i left.

48builder

[quote="wayne petty
what month, year and story name is it ?????

quote]

It is the September 2007 issue. Story is called "Quick Ratio Steering Boxes"
'39 Chevy driver