Which 5 speed trans ????

Started by Topsterguy, October 07, 2007, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I'm building a 40 Ford pickup using a mild SBC and a 8.8 Ranger rear end with 3:73 gears, and 255/75x15 tires. I'm leaning towards a 5 speed standard because my coupe's an automatic but I don't know much about the 5 speeds. That said I haven't ruled out using a 700R4 again like the coupe tho! :?   I'm looking for ideas , years, and numbers on which would be the best and most feasible 5 speed to use. I realize that I'd have to use an S-10 tailshaft on whatever I use to put the shifter in the right place, but I've heard that some of the 5 sppeds actually lay on an angle and the shifter is angled according to that!???  Ideas!!???? Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

kb426

I asked lots of questions before I bought one. Most of my info was for a Ford style though. Look at the websites for Hanlon motorsports, Modern Driveline, D&D trans, and the Tremec website. You can download manuals from the Tremec site which could help you some. I was ready to buy a t5 from Modern with the s10 shaft and chickened out because of the torque ratings. I ended up with a 3550 and a mid-shift kit from Modern Driveline.
TEAM SMART

sirstude

Put a real 5 speed in it, a Richmond!   :wink:  :arrow:

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"Put a real 5 speed in it, a Richmond!   :wink:  :arrow:

Doug

You don't want no wimpy Richmond  8) .  Use  a G-Force  like the 974 Car has that you like to watch  :wink:  :lol:  :twisted: ,

Sum

Topsterguy

Thanks guys! Hey, I'm just a retired milkman!!! :roll:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Thanks guys! Hey, I'm just a retired milkman!!! :roll:

Hey I was a milkman for a couple years in Wyoming, first wholesale then retail.  I thought it would kill me (600 houses a night) before I could retire, so I quit.  Glad you made it  :wink: ,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

600 houses a night?  

Lots of shifting of a 5 speed, you would need an automatic for milk delivery.  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "sirstude"Put a real 5 speed in it, a Richmond!   :wink:  :arrow:

Doug

You don't want no wimpy Richmond  8) .  Use  a G-Force  like the 974 Car has that you like to watch  :wink:  :lol:  :twisted: ,

Sum

The G-force shifter won't fit my console.  You got to keep some of the creature comforts in street cars.

:wink:  :wink:
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"600 houses a night?

Yep, 3 long nights a week.  I later split the route in half and ran it 6 days a week.  About that time I was up to about 650 customers.

Quote from: "Crosley"Lots of shifting of a 5 speed, you would need an automatic for milk delivery.  :lol:

It was a 4 speed and you didn't shift much as it was not far to the next time you got out.

I had a line lock on the brakes.  You would drive down the middle of the street (remember this is the middle of the night); tap the brakes; jump in the back and grab a couple arm loads of milk (paper containers); jump out of the truck before it stopped and start running to 2-3 houses.  Even when it was -20 degrees you didn't get cold.

Over the years I also delivered bread, while working my way through college and later potato chips for Frito Lay (lots lighter than the milk)  :wink: .

c ya,

Sum

Topsterguy

LOL!!  Hey, so what if we got off topic - this is a hoot!  I started on home service driving a standup Divco in '73, the best truck for doing home service! The park brake was adjustable and yup you'd put it on and by the time you were out the door with an armload it'd come to a gentle stop. Went to wholesale after 10 years and did another 24 before I retired last June1.  Actually found my original divco a few months ago in a lot near here ( Victoria BC Canada) but it was too far gone to redo!  :lol:   Home service in Wyoming!!??? Man, wouldn't that be about 20 miles between calls!!????

Topsterguy

Hey Sum!  "the last punch out!"

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hey Sum!  "the last punch out!"

Neat top gear  :lol: .  Did you ever try and figure how many tons/gallons of milk you delivered over that time period.  It had to be a lot.

BTW there are a couple towns in Wyoming.  I delivered retail in Laramie and retail/wholesale from Laramie to Medicine Bow (about 1970).

My milk trucks were as nice at yours.  I know where there is one like yours out at the head of a canyon here, but it is pretty used up.

c ya,

Sum

Mac

Who\'s yer Data?

Topsterguy

This is what my Divco looks like now! :(

...........and thanks Mac!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Topsterguy"This is what my Divco looks like now! :(

...........and thanks Mac!

Here is the one near me.  I don't know if the driver died from running into the corral or the gun fight that then ensued  8) .  The trucks I drove were real boring and a lot larger,

Sum