Brand of New carb

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 04, 2007, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

37fordcoupe

IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

Learpilot

Barry Grant 625 cfm Road Demon. The best carb I have ever owned. It was on my 355 SBC with 700R4.  I put it on adjusted the four idle screws, the fast idle speed , the base idle speed and just drove it. It ran perfect for the four years I had it. The only reason I got rid of the Demon was to go to EFI.

Rick Harris

BFS57

Hello;
Yeah, You hit it right on the head! There will be many opinions about this!
My experiences:
First off, I AIN"T NO EXPERT!!!
Second, bought my 57 chevy with a holly on it. That carb needed tweaking and more tweaking until one day, the seal under the float adj. just started gushing gas out! Thank god, I had a piece of rubber hose and a good sharp knife to fabricate a gasket in the parking lot and put it on and of all things, it worked!!!
Third, decided to ditch the holly and go with an Edlb. Carb (1406) I, being the economizer that I am got this one from that auction site. I get it, looks real nice (seller told me it was new). Install it, it runs like crud! Go to Auto Zone (of all places) and purchase a jet and rod kit. Now after much tweaking and tweaking I still have "issues" still and that was over two years ago!
To put it plain, I don't think that there is any carb in exhistance that will work right out of the box unless you get EXTREMELY lucky!
Thats my story and I'm sticken to it!

Bruce

rumrumm

The new Thunder series AVS from Edelbrock.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

junkyardjeff

I like the holleys as they are easy to rejet,I have two edelbrock carbs and never been into them and dont have a clue how to tune them.  Jeff

Okiedokie

I have put Edelbrock on both my 46 and 53, both 302 Ford motors. Many miles of absolutely no problems.

purplepickup

I like Edelbrocks because of their simple design, easy tuning, and decent performance.  I've only messed with a couple of Holleys and got frustrated mostly because I didn't understand enough about them so I can't really compare.  

Any of you guys that hate your Edelbrocks and want to get rid of them cheap let me know 8) .
George

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"I like Edelbrocks because of their simple design, easy tuning, and decent performance.  I've only messed with a couple of Holleys and got frustrated mostly because I didn't understand enough about them so I can't really compare.  

Any of you guys that hate your Edelbrocks and want to get rid of them cheap let me know 8) .

george when they work they seem to work well but if they dont it seems no matter how much you fool with em they still dont want to work right. I have one on the new car that was a mess . I cleaned it out sitting on the apron in the driveway on a piece of cardboard and threw it back on with a couple new gaskets and it seems to be fine :?: The one i had on the purple 34 was great the one i had on the 30 a was fine but someone had changed the jets and it idled rich. it was a rebuilt .. The one on the 32 coupe was junk :?:
Id just like to try one of the new holleys the pretty ones they have now. I know they fixed the power valve issues and other things. Years ago I had an 850 double squirter on my jet boat and other than leakage around the bowl gaskets when it sat for a long time it worked real well.
Dave

rumrumm

Edelbrock's newer Thunder series carb allows for a lot more calibration, particularly the secondaries which can eliminate some of the stumble problems inherent in the regular Eddy carbs. But like any brand of carburetor, they all have to be tuned, and learning how to tune them correctly can be frustrating, particularly if you do not have something to read the fuel/air mixture.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mikej

Quote from: "purplepickup"I like Edelbrocks because of their simple design, easy tuning, and decent performance.  I've only messed with a couple of Holleys and got frustrated mostly because I didn't understand enough about them so I can't really compare.  

If I had known someone would pay me for it I wouldn't have given it away.

Mikej

I now have a Holley 4150 with vaccum secondary. No choke. Lots of adjustment, but all it needed was idle adj., throttle stop adj., a change of jets and a different spring on the secondaries and it was ready to go out of the box. :lol:  Didn't have to play with the air bleeds. Gets 13.3 mpg. I'm really happy with it.

beatnik

Quote from: "Crosley"Lets say a street rod/ street car with 302 - 350 cid engine, mild camshaft, mayb a daily driver car,........ trouble free as possible.

Probably a 600 or 650 cfm carb to function on a mild engine build.

An Edelbrock bolt it on and forget about it, their maintenance free and forgiving whether it be the jetting or size of the carb, and that's coming from somone who runs Holleys on almost everything, but that's because I take everything to the track.

Gus
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

27oakland

I bought a 600 Edlebrock for my 401 Buick and it worked great. Bolted it on and ran it for a year with minor tuning of the air fuel mixture. Liked it so much I now have 2 600 Edelbrocks on the 401.  :shock:    8)

Too much fun when the second carb comes on.  :D

tomslik

Quote from: "beatnik"
Quote from: "Crosley"Lets say a street rod/ street car with 302 - 350 cid engine, mild camshaft, mayb a daily driver car,........ trouble free as possible.

Probably a 600 or 650 cfm carb to function on a mild engine build.

An Edelbrock bolt it on and forget about it, their maintenance free and forgiving whether it be the jetting or size of the carb, and that's coming from somone who runs Holleys on almost everything, but that's because I take everything to the track.

Gus

assumming it works out of the box..... :roll:
at 5000+ ft they ain't so "forgiving".....
i don't think you're gonna sell crosley on one :lol:  :lol:

gus, i ain't pickin' on ya, really...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list