Brand of New carb

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 04, 2007, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "beatnik"An Edelbrock bolt it on and forget about it, their maintenance free and forgiving whether it be the jetting or size of the carb, and that's coming from somone who runs Holleys on almost everything, but that's because I take everything to the track.

Gus

assumming it works out of the box..... :roll:
at 5000+ ft they ain't so "forgiving".....
No, but when I started the climb up the hill going east to Denver on I-70, I stopped a Rifle and stuck some larger metering rods in and my truck ran great all the way up to 12,000 ft. It only took a couple of minutes and that was on a carb that is tuned for 900 ft. I cruised past lots of cars and trucks blowing black smoke.

Most any carb that's tuned for sea level would need to be adjusted for 5000+ ft. I think the "open the box and throw it on" thing is for a moderate engine at low altitude.

I ain't saying Edelbrocks are better than Holleys. No matter what carb people run they need to learn how it works and tune it with rational steps instead of just taking shots in the dark then * when it doesn't work right.  If they do that most any carb will do what it's supposed to for a long time.

I think Sumner likes Q-Jets because of the better mileage when you're running on the primaries. But I don't expect he'll jump in here for a while since he's on the salt at the World Finals.

Quote from: "Mikej"
Quote from: "purplepickup"Any of you guys that hate your Edelbrocks and want to get rid of them cheap let me know 8) .

If I had known someone would pay me for it I wouldn't have given it away.
Oh, I'd take free ones too.  :wink:  .....You do hate 'em don'tcha?
George

wayne petty

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;

tweaking and more tweaking until one day, the seal under the float adj. just started gushing gas out! Bruce

FYI
the wonderfull gaskets under the float level ajusting screw and nut are paper type gasket material and it shreads...if one turns the ajustment too far in or out it can tear the O-rings on the needle valve assy. when replacing the needle valve the bore needs to be lubed.. use a Q-tip in grease or vasoline.

magnets in the fuel tank or in a openable fuel filter will catch any iron oxide from  many sources...and prevent clogged fuel filters, leaking mechanical fuel pump check valves, leaking/seeping/creeping needles and seats. hmm..    now that i think of it.. magnets on the outside of the fuel line might even do the same thing... catch the iron oxides in the fuel.   rembember chevys that would cold start and run for 30 seconds and then die and needs to crank for 45 seconds to restart. this is because the fuel pump check valves are dirty..if they get dirty the carb is next...

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "beatnik"An Edelbrock bolt it on and forget about it, their maintenance free and forgiving whether it be the jetting or size of the carb, and that's coming from somone who runs Holleys on almost everything, but that's because I take everything to the track.

Gus

assumming it works out of the box..... :roll:
at 5000+ ft they ain't so "forgiving".....
No, but when I started the climb up the hill going east to Denver on I-70, I stopped a Rifle and stuck some larger metering rods in and my truck ran great all the way up to 12,000 ft. It only took a couple of minutes and that was on a carb that is tuned for 900 ft. I cruised past lots of cars and trucks blowing black smoke.

Most any carb that's tuned for sea level would need to be adjusted for 5000+ ft. I think the "open the box and throw it on" thing is for a moderate engine at low altitude.

I ain't saying Edelbrocks are better than Holleys. No matter what carb people run they need to learn how it works and tune it with rational steps instead of just taking shots in the dark then * when it doesn't work right.  If they do that most any carb will do what it's supposed to for a long time.

i've had to work on afb's (either brand, i'm not just picking on edelbrock) that either worked great (not many but i did own one that worked once) out of the box(rejetting is NOT an issue, comes with the territory up here) or had so many issues NOT related to float levels or jetting or any OTHER adjustment short of re-engineering that the only reasonable option is to send the * thing back.
i've been doing this for a while so i'm NOT just talking about 2 or 3 carbs...

still, an 1850 600 vac secondary holley is hard to beat but i haven't had to work on too many in the last 15 years.....
everybody seem to think afb's are god's gift to the world;)

i like EFI better :lol:

I think Sumner likes Q-Jets because of the better mileage when you're running on the primaries. But I don't expect he'll jump in here for a while since he's on the salt at the World Finals.

i like q-jets to, but it's been a few years that i've seen a new one :lol:
edlebrock reproductions don't count :wink:

Quote from: "Mikej"
Quote from: "purplepickup"Any of you guys that hate your Edelbrocks and want to get rid of them cheap let me know 8) .

If I had known someone would pay me for it I wouldn't have given it away.
Oh, I'd take free ones too.  :wink:  .....You do hate 'em don'tcha?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list