GM steering boxes

Started by 48builder, October 01, 2007, 12:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Now that my frame is all set, I am getting ready to paint it and put it back together. I remember seeing somewhere how to tell the "better" steering box that was used on the Monte Carlo and clones. Mine is a '87.

Anybody know how to tell? And more importantly, what is the difference between them and is it worthwhile to get the "better" one?

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

GPster

Just in case you're home waiting for an answer I'll give you a little that I know. The Saginaw 605 is considered the "Less" box by most around here (location, not WEB site). The 605 box has a pressed steel top  oppisite the pittman held in by an internal snap ring. The 800 box has the top of the box held on by 4 bolts. The people running "Dirt Trackers" prefer the 800 box because some front end hits that might strike on the pittman arm will un-snap the snap ring and cause the top of the box to come loose/off. The 605 boxes seem to be found on the "lesser" models and the 800 boxes seem to be a direct replacement. Now it is possible that there are 800 boxes with a quicker steering ratio but I suppose you woulds find them in the Grand Ams and the like. I do a lot of typing so that people think I know a lot. GPster

enjenjo

What Joe said. You can find them on a lot of GM rear wheel drive cars. if you want a quick ratio box, look at Camaros and Firebirds.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

this post offsite has the info needed to convert a 605 box to a 55-57 chevy app..

and it also hads a list of the fast ratio boxes by car model...

http://carnut.com/specs/steering/pwr605.html

jaybee

I see the note "any 800 series box used in Novas, full size GM, etc", would that mean that the early pitman shaft can be modified to drop into the 800 box just as at can in the 600?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

Quote from: "jaybee"I see the note "any 800 series box used in Novas, full size GM, etc", would that mean that the early pitman shaft can be modified to drop into the 800 box just as at can in the 600?

i am still looking for a power steering catalog that has differnt boxes listed.. i do have a printed one someware... it could be in any of 160 boxes...

i have in the past gotten rebuilt boxes that worked opposite from the way they should... if the worm/input shaft is ground backwards it will work the other way.,..

the steering box./. if anyone gets it from the junk yard.. make sure the pitman arm is insalled the same way as your application..  (meaning infront of the pitman shaft or behind the pitman shaft. this may only affect the ford van that is what i was trying to install the box on.

wayne petty

http://www.acdelco.com/index.jsp is the web site...

look up your application. then get down to the correct part... copy the part nunber and then look up what cars it fits (vehical list).    there may be hundreds of applications... but it will narrow the search...

36-0516561 is the ac delco part number for 2 to 2-1/2 turns lock to lock, box.. probably still best to turn the input shaft and count...as either unit could be installed.

enjenjo

There are other differences not listed there. The early boxes, pre 72, have more travel, they have shorter internal stops inside, than the later boxes do.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Just to ad another little bit. The 800 box that works opposite is probably from a Jeep. There is a story arround here where a guy (years ag0) wanted to put power steering in his but didn't want to spend so much money for it because hollander didn'tlist any cross-overs for the application but it looked like so many others in the junkyard so he bought one out of a GM. He installed it and found out it worked back-wards but he thought he was smart enough to train himself to deal with it. Until he drove it off a hill. The Nova and Camaro pittman pittman arms have a joint on the end instead of the tapered hole but the slpine count and shaft diameter is the same so the arms will exchange if they point in the same direction. GPster

48builder

Thanks for all the info, guys. I just found out that Hemmings Muscle car mag recently had an article about steeering boxes. I am going to find that and check it out as well.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Quote from: "GPster"Now it is possible that there are 800 boxes with a quicker steering ratio but I suppose you woulds find them in the Grand Ams and the like. I do a lot of typing so that people think I know a lot. GPster

The article in Hemmings Muscle Machines mag says that the best 800 boxes are later models used in Camaraos, some Montes and Olds. You can tell them from the other 800 boxes by the letters "YA", "WS" or "HX" on the end other than the steering shaft end. My loacl u-pick yard sells boxes for $25. I may go this weekend and look. The difference between the 800 box I have and the other is mine is 3-3.5 turns lock-to-lock and the quicker one is 2.25 - 2.75 turns. For $25 I'll make the change.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

jaybee

The AC Delco web site is very enlightening.  The 800 is a bolt in replacement for the 605, so it's entirely possible the pitman arm shaft swap required to put it in a 55/6/7 Chevy would also work.

wayne petty

what else was really intresting is that delphi who now makes the new boxes for gm will cast custom boxes if you order 5,000 or more...
hmm.... if they cast them with big flanges on either side someone could order them then machine off the unneeded flanges..
so the long shaft boxes could both be retrofitted in cars and trucks...

jaybee

Quote from: "wayne petty"what else was really intresting is that delphi who now makes the new boxes for gm will cast custom boxes if you order 5,000 or more...
hmm.... if they cast them with big flanges on either side someone could order them then machine off the unneeded flanges..
so the long shaft boxes could both be retrofitted in cars and trucks...

Hmmm, I wonder if that's how the new "670" boxes for the Tri5s are produced.  They're the current hot tip for retrofitting these cars with power steering but are pretty expensive.