Trans cooler lines

Started by butch27, September 24, 2007, 10:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

I,m running cooler lines on a C-4 trans. Does the rear line on the trans go into the right or left side of the radiator? Also I have a remote cooler. Do I run to the radiator first then back to the cooler?

Pep

Doesn't make much difference...any order,any direction as far as I can see.
See Ya
Pep

Crosley.In.AZ

there should be no check valves in the system....  so either way is fine as mentioned.

the cooler & radiator thing.. that is subject to a great debate.

aux cooler then radiator is the way i hook them up
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

I too think the cooler first and radiator second  makes more sense.  That way the fluid is somewhat cooler by the time it hits the radiator and should tend to heat the coolant  up less, I would think.

Don

butch27

Then it seems there must be a direction of flow. If I run one line from the trans to the cooler then the other MUST go to the radiator and back to the other fitting on the trans. How does the fluid know which way to go? Does this make any sense  or am I really confused?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "butch27"Then it seems there must be a direction of flow. If I run one line from the trans to the cooler then the other MUST go to the radiator and back to the other fitting on the trans. How does the fluid know which way to go? Does this make any sense  or am I really confused?

the cooler system of the trans is pressurized....

front line on side of the case is the "OUT" from the converter... the rear fitting on the case is the "IN" or "return"  to lube & cool the trans

8)
Tony

butch27

Thanks: That satisfied my morbid curiosity . I knew there had to be some reasoning and answer for this.

Crosley.In.AZ

many folks seem to think the fluid just flows around the trans some how.... not thinking about the pump in the trans.

I receive a few ( 4 - 6 ) emails a year from folks worried that they did not fill the converter with fluid before the trans  install.... they don't know one of the first places  the fluid is pumped to is the converter.

It's all good.

Pressure can run near 50 psi in the cooling system of a street  trans.  Do not use cheap rubber hose.  You can have a leak and fire.

Beef'd up or racing  trans the cooler pressure can see 80 - 100 psi
Tony

midnight sun

I know this has been asked before (probably by me).  When and why is it even necessary to run a tranny cooler?  Ive run my Model A 327/350TH for about 5 years now w/o a cooler and at least to my knowledge never had a problem.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

purplepickup

Quote from: "midnight sun"When and why is it even necessary to run a tranny cooler?  Ive run my Model A 327/350TH for about 5 years now w/o a cooler and at least to my knowledge never had a problem.
I put a cooler on after I put a tranny temp gauge on. I wasn't comfortable with the temps I was seeing...as high as 215 deg in the pan.  My torque converter is a 2100 stall which isn't real radical but it's loose enough to create heat.  Tranny temp now is rarely over 170 and usually lower.  BTW, I put my cooler after the radiator.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "midnight sun"I know this has been asked before (probably by me).  When and why is it even necessary to run a tranny cooler?  Ive run my Model A 327/350TH for about 5 years now w/o a cooler and at least to my knowledge never had a problem.

So... you have the cooler lines loop around back into the trans?  No cooler of any type?

interesting.
Tony

butch27

What's the opinion here about weather to run from the trans to the radiator or the cooler first?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quoteaux cooler then radiator is the way i hook them up

done it for years in AZ.... often I only use a large aux cooler , nothing through the radiator
Tony

enjenjo

There were a few cars that came without coolers, but they were all small low power cars.

The oil manufacturers recommend an ideal fluid temperature of 175 degrees. This is warm enough to boil off condensation, but not warm enough to oxydize the oil. For every 20 degrees abouve ideal temperature the life of the oil is cut in half, above 240 degrees, the life of the oil becomes nil.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

midnight sun

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "midnight sun"I know this has been asked before (probably by me).  When and why is it even necessary to run a tranny cooler?  Ive run my Model A 327/350TH for about 5 years now w/o a cooler and at least to my knowledge never had a problem.

So... you have the cooler lines loop around back into the trans?  No cooler of any type?

interesting.

The lines run directly from the bottom of the radiator directly to the tranny
How can there be "self help" groups :?: